SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fauguy

Miele Dishwasher Water Inlet Valve replacement (WPS)

fauguy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So my Miele Diamante Plus G2143SCU dishwasher is turning 7 years old in a few months. Last year it started to blink the Red Intake light on the front and would stop whatever cycle it was in and drain the water. This would happen maybe once every few weeks, but became more frequent over time. This past weekend the unit had finished the main wash cycle and was on a rinse cycle, and drained all the water, but I could hear water continuing to fill and drain at the same time. The all three Wash/Dry/End lights started to flash. The only way I could get water to stop entering the dishwasher was to turn off the hot water valve under the sink.

I know that Miele uses a Solenoid in their Water Inlet Valve and Hose (WPS) and I took it apart tonight, and it does continue to let water through it, instead of closing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hfn0je4l9htesk/20170217_003532.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gonidxcn17bykr/20170217_013944.jpg?dl=0

What I'd like to know is about how much does the full water inlet hose & solenoid cost (part 06039010), and if it is easy to replace? As This would require having to pull out the dishwasher to get to the hose connector on the left side.

Or would it be worth trying this DIY solenoid replacement, that wouldn't cost too might?

Comments (95)

• frahman59
    6 years ago

OK so tried a fewtl times. Now the soap won't dissolve. The door opens but soap just sits there

• dadoes
    6 years ago

The detergent can't dissolve is there's no water spraying, or not enough water spraying. Is the machine filling with water or is it not, and if so is the fill to the proper level of water?

A solenoid may vibrate/hum faintly when it's energized (i.e. when the machine is filling) and is silent when it's not energized.

Drying has no relation to water intake. The drying process, of course, is to remove residual water from the dishware.

• Related Discussions

Kenmore Dishwasher - 2nd Water Valve Repair in 6 mo. - Why?

Q

Comments (0)
    We have a Kenmore Ultra Dishwasher (Model 16039) that we purchased almost 3 years ago. It cleans very well, but last December, after only two years use, we had to replace the water inlet valve. And yesterday (exactly 6 months later) the dishwasher stopped filling, and I think that the valve needs to be replaced again. We had excellent service from our previous Kenmore dishwasher, and we have never had to replace a water inlet valve on any of the dishwashers that we have owned before this one. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this problem? Did we just get a "lemon" dishwasher? Or could it be a problem with our water, type of dishwasher detergent, etc? I have put in a call for the appliance repair service, but I wonder if I would be better off just to replace the darned thing.... Any help would be appreciated.
    ...See More

Miele dishwasher

Q

Comments (1)
    Mine just went for the fourth time. I will not be fixing it. The machine is 8 years old so that averages once every two years. That's ridiculous. I'll be buying a Bosch this time.
    ...See More

Miele W1 - pls explain about hot/cold inlets

Q

Comments (13)
    Ah. I see. Well, from what I’ve heard, the W1 is a worthy competitor. I’ve never had any Miele before and now I understand the affection people like you have for the machines. I’m not sure what the disadvantage is to the 120v. In theory, I get it, but maybe it’s not such an issue. I’d be interested to know if your local dealer has heard anything. Mine hadn’t heard anything much about the W1/T1, but I live in a small town and they are also pretty new to the US market. My dealer did say there was a LOT of enthusiastic interest from people who knew about the machines before they were even available! I decided to roll the dice and be a guinea pig. So far so good! Hope you get it sorted soon. The Little Giant does sound amazing, and makes the W1 seem downright reasonable in comparison ;-)
    ...See More

Newer Miele Dishwashers Intake Valve Issues?

Q

Comments (13)
    @wdccruise thanks. I'm in Canada and it's a free 10 year they are offering. They do that once in a while and it's the only way to go. I got a free 10 year when I bought my washer and dryer from them as well. Luckily this is good timing or I'd go with the Bosch for sure. This at least gives me pause to try Miele again since any issues won't be my problem for 10 years (outside of the inconvenience). SAVE 10% OR receive a FREE 10 Year Warranty on all Miele dishwashers Purchase any Miele dishwasher directly from Miele between August 30, 2019 and October 10, 2019, inclusive, and receive a discount of 10% before applicable taxes OR receive a FREE upgrade from manufacturer's standard one (1) year warranty to a Ten (10) Year Total Miele Extended Warranty on any respective Miele dishwasher purchased directly from Miele or through a Miele Chartered Agent. https://ca.miele.ca/en/Promotions
    ...See More
  • klevin1011a
    6 years ago

If you replaced the solenoid you had to shut off the water supply to the input drain. Did you remember to (fully or at least mostly) reopen the water supply?

I had this happen to me after replacing the flapper valve on a toilet; I temporarily shut off the water supply to the toilet, then failed to fully reopen the water supply when finished with the repair. The toilet filled with water but so slowly that it was annoying.

If that is your problem, the fill rate, into the dishwasher might be so compromised that the dishwasher isn't getting enough water to properly run a cycle and dissolve soap. My toilet just kept filling, very slowly; your dishwasher, which is designed to fill on a timer may need a faster fill rate to properly start a cycle.

I would also double check filters and impeller valve.

If none of these things are causing the problem it is likely you have multiple problems with your dishwasher; hopefully, you fixed one of them, the intake solenoid.

Unfortunately, if these ideas don't help, you may need to call out a repair person if you are unable to discover and correct the remaining problem on your own.

Good luck.

• frahman59
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone. Wouldn't water level be based on the new valve i replaced... Which seemed to be working as the machine doesn't stop after ten minutes. It seems to run the cycle sans the soap.

I did turn water back on fully

How do I know if it fills to right level. I can't see thru door. What's correct method

• dadoes
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dishwashers with rare exceptions (Miele may be one of the exceptions, I'm not intimately familiar with the design) are *timed* fill ... a float if present is for overfill protection (in case of failure to drain completely, etc.), not to control the normal fill level. Thus, the fill level will be insufficient if the incoming water flow rate is too low ... not enough water enters during the allocated time period.

You check for proper fill level by opening the door after fill is finished to observe it ... which of course requires that you are familiar with what is the proper level either by way of having observed it previously when the machine was operating properly, or by way of reviewing service documentation.

• frahman59
    6 years ago

when i go home ill check it, and pull it open after the fill has finished and see how much is in there...

im wondering if the new valve i bought already is bad or i messed up something else ..

• ilbagnodigiorgio
    6 years ago

You won't believe this easy solution for a stuck water intake valve that was suggested by Miele. Remove the plastic cover to the valve under the sink. If you can feel the solenoid vibrating when it's attempting to open the valve, you may be in luck. Take a hammer and hit the casing. Yes, hit it hard. After about ten raps, the stuck valve should dislodge itself. This procedure actually worked for me after experiencing the problem with a one year old dishwasher. After three years, it became stuck again. I used the same procedure and it still cleared the problem. Try this before replacing the valve. And don't be afraid to hit it hard.

• Ivan I
    6 years ago
    Complete agree. Reading this thread stopped my Miele order in progress.

What would be a second best option to Miele?
  • fauguy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree that a new Miele shouldn't have this problem with the Solenoid, but would also suggest buying the 5 year Miele Extended warranty just in case. As I said earlier, I didn't have this issue until year 7 on my Miele unit. And instead of spending $200 for the Miele part, was able to fix it for under $40 using a GE Solenoid, which has worked fine for the past year.

But now since the Miele Circulation Pump Motor has gone out at year 8, and is a $700 part, I will most likely replace the entire unit.

From all the brands and models that I've looked at over the past week, Miele still seems to be the best "overall" quality and has the most adjustability on the racks. Bosch is also good, and can save a few hundred dollars.

Right now I see that BestBuy is offering free install and 18 month financing on Bosch for Presidents Day.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bosch-800-series-24-recessed-handle-connected-dishwasher-with-stainless-steel-tub-stainless-steel/5710318.p?skuId=5710318

• fauguy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just wanted to update and say that since the Circulation Pump Motor went bad in Jan, I decided to replace the unit. I looked at the newer Miele, Asko, and Bosch (which I didn't like), but ended up with a Crystal G6625SCU with a bit of a discount.

When it was installed a week ago, I noticed that the attached water intake hose no longer has the electronic solenoid on the end. They now are using a metal braided hose, so the solenoid valve must be in the dishwasher. I'm not sure why they changed to this design. Maybe it is more reliable...or now is more difficult to replace...or done to cut costs?

I do have a tech coming out next week to check over the unit and was planning on asking him about it.

• abenyjones
    6 years ago

how interesting! i'm curious as to why as well! look forward to hearing what the tech says! thanks fauguy!

• fauguy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another change, is the wash arm at the very top above the cutlery rack is now plastic instead of metal. I was told it was done since some people put items too large up there and the metal spray arm would hit and damage it. So the plastic spray arm is now used.

• sherri1058
    6 years ago

Interesting thread. My Miele Lumen is 2 years old. I just went through 6+ weeks of not having a dishwasher and it started with the intake valve error message and then switched to open water valve message the next day. From the time that I called for service to the time that I had a working dishwasher, it was 6 1/2 weeks. I had technicians here 5 times. I can't tell you everything that was done, but I had the intake valve replaced (didn't fix the problem), the water pump replaced (again, not fixed) and finally the electronic control panel was replaced.... and the dishwasher works, but not after a problem with the dishwasher filling and draining immediately. Luckily, the technician was able to rectify it. I am happy to have a working dishwasher but I'm not impressed with the customer service or the length of time that it took to fix.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Does your Lumen have the solenoid at the end of the hose where it connects to the water line? Easiest way to check is to look at the intake hose and see if it is the same color as the drain hose, and if there is a box at the end if it.

• sherri1058
    6 years ago

fauguy. it doesn't look like it. I have a metal intake hose and a plastic drain hose.

• fauguy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, if you have a flexible metal intake hose, that's how mine is.

It did have a F78 error (filling) when first used, but the installer didn't have the water line fully opened. After he opened it all the way, it hasn't given me any other errors in the week that I've had it.

We're the techs you had come out actually Miele staff techs, or was it from a different service company in your area? From my last Miele, I know that in my area they send Miele staff techs out and I never had any issues with them not knowing how to fix a problem.

• sherri1058
    6 years ago

It wasn't an issue with the water line. The DW just stopped working after about 2 years, and gave me the faults that I mentioned. I didn't touch any of the connections. I have had both Miele techs and contracted service companies, and quite frankly, I think I preferred the service company guy that I had last.

• Tracey Becker
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone, we have a Meile DW maybe 6-7 years old. After we run a load thru everything works fine but over the course of a day water starts to seep back in to the point there is 1"-1.5" of water sitting in the bottom of the DW. I have cleaned the filter baskets, taken off the the non return valve cleaned that and made sure the little propeller turned and there was nothing stuck down there.. We had a tech (not meile) look at it and he thinks its the water inlet valve..Anybody else have this issue..

Thx

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The drain hose needs to have a high loop to it before connecting to your sink or garbage disposal, as that prevents water from the drain back feeding into the unit. The non return valve has a metal ball in it that should prevent drained water from going back into the unit, but it's possible this isn't working right.

Or like you said, the solenoid is going bad and water is entering from the water intake valve.

What I'd suggest is after you run the unit and it's finished drying, go under the sink and turn off the water valve that is connected to the dishwasher and see if within a few days water is still entering the unit. With that valve closed, there shouldn't be any water available to go into the unit, besides what would be left over in the hose.

• cat_mom
    5 years ago

Check the silicone threading on the non return valve, and any other parts. Our Optima had water trickling back in because the silicone had degraded, and wasn’t creating a good seal. As a result, dirty wash water was able to re-enter the DW.

• Brent B
    5 years ago

This water inlet line is a problem with a lot of Miele dws.

I have replaced that line twice in the last 8 years on my Optima.

The first replaced line lasted 2 years and the last replaced line is still going strong after about 4 years now. I'm on soft city water @75 psi.

Spending this kind of money on a dw, these ongoing problems should not still occur, and Miele should step up their game.

• Tracey Becker
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input - On the non return valve there is a small outer silicone ring that is part of the valve (can not be replaced separately) it does seem to be warn abit on one side maybe enough for the water to be seeping back in. Just dont want to have to replace both intake and return valves. So after the cycle yesterday the bottom of the dishwasher was full of water this am - like right up to the door - which was in my guesstimate at least a gallon or more..might try replacing the non return valve first as the silicone on that seems to be deteriorated but really hard to say if that is the issue - ugh!!!!

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think the price of the non return valve is about $30 to order a new one. But I'd still suggest that after you finish washing a load of dishes to turn off the water valve that's connected to the unit and see if that stops it filling with water when not in use.

• Tracey Becker
    5 years ago

Thx fauguy, I turned off the water supply to the dishwasher yesterday and still dry as a bone today - what does this mean exactly? Thx..

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If you keep the water valve shut off for a few days and no water enters in, and then open it up and after a day or two does have water enter, then it's most likely the solenoid that has gone bad located in the box at the end if the intake hose.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Scroll down a little at this web page, there's a simple animation showing how a solenoid inlet valve works. The black part below the plunger is a rubber diaphragm which flexes open when the plunger raises (energizes) to allow water flow through the valve, and seals back down when the plunger drops (de-energizes). Water will seep through if any part of the mechanism fails, such as the plunger getting jammed in the up position, a tear in the diaphragm, or a bit of debris in the water supply preventing the diaphragm from fully sealing when the valve turns off.

Appliance Water Valve Operation

• Tracey Becker
    5 years ago

Thx everyone I guess I will order the intake valve, I'm not sure how difficult that is to replace, appreciate all the input from everyone..

• fauguy
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The one Miele sells close to $200 and you have to pull the dishwasher out and take it apart to replace the entire hose with the solenoid at the end.

That's why last year I just did the solenoid replament unsing the GE one that was show in the video. Watch the video one guy posted.

Then I had pictures of when I did it posted near the top.

• Tracey Becker
    5 years ago

Ok Thx, will have another look..

• RICHARD DELLASALA
    5 years ago

My Miele dishwasher input water solenoid failed stuck in off position. Decided to order the original part from Miele for $170. Reason is that the original part has two solenoids for overflow protection. If one solenoid fails open, the other solenoid will be able to shut off the water off. Also, the outer hose cover will drain any leak back to the dishwasher where the float valve will detect it and turn on discharge pump. The original part is part of the Miele "waterproof system". The other problem, and I see that many here encounter it, is that the original equipment is flow rate adjusted and with the cheap fix, you are likely to get too high a water flow and the washer overfills and the red intake/drain light blinks error. The washer will detect too much flow or too little flow and set error codes. You can compensate for too much flow by adjusting the water turn off valve to being just on a little and the quick cheap fix should work without error codes.

• HU-400581771
    5 years ago

I started to replace the inlet valve from the youtube video and then quickly I notice that I was not getting any power to the new valve from the machine.....I took it apart and found that the plug was just that; unplugged. I plugged it back in and I indeed have no power from the black and white wires coming from the machine. What is going on? Might the plug be damaged? What do you think?

• HU-400581771
    5 years ago

no power to turn on the inlet valve to the dishwasher......how to fix this crazy thing? it must be the small plug that you plug the white and black power cord to the valve......HELP!

• Tracey Becker
    5 years ago

Just an Update, we have been away for months but decided instead of getting the Meile part and have a Tech come out and change it for a total cost of over $400.00 I decided to go ahead and get the GE intake flow valve and go that route. The part on Amazon costed $65.00 but they couldnt give me a shipping date so I just bought one locally here for $70.00 plus I had to get a few extra parts and a supply line to retrofit what I had to work with so total parts were just under $100.00 it took me about an hr to replace and happy to report all works great.

We had the issue of when the dishwasher was done doing a load that water would seep back into the machine, as soon as I changed it no more water seeped back in and the next nite we ran a load and all works great. So for now I have saved $300.00 hopefully this will last for abit.

Thx to Fauguy and other for your help and input!!

• Brent B
    5 years ago

Fixes my Miele dishwasher

• David H
    5 years ago

My 16 months old Miele G6625 dishwasher will not fill water at the beginning of a cycle. After a cycle starts, I can hear the drain pump runs. Then nothing happens and the dishwasher throws the F78 error code. I tried the vinegar and boiling water and it did work like 1 out of 3 times in the beginning, but not anymore. When it works, the dishwasher always runs through the whole cycle. When it fails, it always fails right after the drain at the beginning of a cycle.

I have also tried the fork to the circulation pump. Not sure if I am doing it correctly but it never helped. The fill valve is build-in to the dishwasher so I cannot hit it without taking the dishwasher apart.

Anyone has any suggestions before I call Miele (as my warranty ran out after 1 year)? Should I open up the dishwasher? Thanks.

• livebetter
    4 years ago

My Miele in take valve just went for the fourth time in 8 years. I won't be repairing this anymore. I owned a KA for 10 years that never gave me an ounce of trouble. This is ridiculous for a high end machine and Miele must know it's a problem.

On the newer machines the selenoid is still there but it's under the machine. How the heck one will replace that when needed I'm not sure.

• Ivan I
    4 years ago

Which model will you replace it with?

• William Brown
    3 years ago

Our Miele dishwasher purchased in 2007 ($1500) was replaced at no cost after 3 years for unexplained noises. Then the intake valve and solenoid failures began. We had 4 of these failures over the next 10 years at around $300 a pop. The final failure happened last week and we have had enough. We are buying a Kitchen Aid.

• Brent B
    3 years ago

William, the Miele no longer has the solenoid valve on the inlet line (at least my 2 year old one , Futura Dimension, doesn't)

• HU-840512696
    3 years ago

Can I use RobertShaw water valve W10327250 instead of the GE WD15X10003??

it is generic water valve!!

• John Butman
    3 years ago

Is anyone concerned that this is a single solenoid that is meant to go above a drip pan? The Miele is a double solenoid, and with a conduit to redirect the water into the drip pan? I would replace with a double solenoid if I could only find one! It seems you must be a professional to get the OEM part from Miele. BTW 0 I confirmed my intake valve was faulty by disconnecting the hose to the washer and activating the intake valve (using service mode U4)

... the solenoids hummed (so were clearly receiving power, but no water came out! I tried the hammer suggestion quite a few times to no avail.

This is a link to the service manual: Miele Dishwasher Service Manual

• fauguy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just wanted to update. The Solenoid replacement that I did lasted a little over a year, and then the Miele started to have other issues. I took it apart and the fill pump had gone bad. So at that point I knew it needed to be replaced. We looked at a bunch of brands, including Miele and Asko. But did end up with another Miele since it was a customer order that was never picked up and was at a $400 discount (G6625 Futura Crystal). We'd had it since April 2018 and haven't had any issues, though we did buy the 5 year Miele warranty.

• John Butman
    3 years ago

Good feedback. Thanks. I ordered the single solenoid and expect it in two days. Hopefully that will get us through a few weeks. Our 10 y old Optiam 2470 has triggered the drain/intake error for years. Sometimes it was actually a drain issue, but most of the time I think this solenoid was flaky - usually a few power cycles and mucking around with the drains seemed to give it a chance to reset. This was the first time I actually opened up the WPS and the filter was clean as a whistle. I'll follow up with the results of the valve replacement!

• abenyjones
    3 years ago

my repair was successful and lasted until the dishwasher died of other causes two years later. all in all, my dishwasher was a rockstar until it sprung a leak at the age of 12. I probably could have fixed it but we are moving so I bid it a sad farewell!

• RICHARD DELLASALA
    3 years ago

You can purchase the Miele replacement part called the "Waterproff System" from Miele. The new replacement part number is 1065631 (updated from 1065630), also check your dishwasher series for correct part. I called Miele number (800) 843-7231 and ordered part for around $154 and received part in a couple of days. You have to go down the phone menus to get to a live person! The part comes with a number of different flow-rate restrictors and instructions for changing depending on dishwasher model number. Be careful when removing the strainer basket as it is easy to break and pull out the restrictor with needle-nose pliers. The new one needs to be pressed into place carefully using a 5mm socket that allows you to press the restrictor in. Practice on your old part first. Good luck.

• HU-426749915
    3 years ago

This really worked for my Miele G24710. Unbelievable Saved me an $800 repair or the purchase of a new dishwasher. Thank you ilbagnodgiorgio.

ilbagnodigiorgio

3 years ago

You won't believe this easy solution for a stuck water intake valve that was suggested by Miele. Remove the plastic cover to the valve under the sink. If you can feel the solenoid vibrating when it's attempting to open the valve, you may be in luck. Take a hammer and hit the casing. Yes, hit it hard. After about ten raps, the stuck valve should dislodge itself. This procedure actually worked for me after experiencing the problem with a one year old dishwasher. After three years, it became stuck again. I used the same procedure and it still cleared the problem. Try this before replacing the valve. And don't be afraid to hit it hard.

• HU-426749915
    3 years ago

I meant Miele G2470.

• Aleksandar Totic
    last year

> When it was installed a week ago, I noticed that the attached water intake hose no longer has the electronic solenoid on the end.

Thanks you so much for this. I've had to replace the valve at least 5 times in the last 10 years. When it failed today, that was the final straw, and I decided to buy a new dishwasher.

As much as I love Miele, this dishwasher and the lastest heat-pump dryer made me reconsider my choices. Knowing that Miele might have fixed the valve problem makes me feel better about buying another dishwasher from them.

• John Butman
    last year

Well - here is the two year follow up. I did a single solenoid replacement and I have had no issues since. Hope I did not jinx it by posting.