SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Replace crape myrtles

Crape myrtles are in trouble. I have 16, and have read about their scale problems, and see no easy solutions. The scale has come to us from Richardson Texas (OSU fact sheet), and I read yesterday that the cure is bleak -- according to the University of Mississippi.

I am looking for pretty trees or large bushes that will hold the soil on my hillside, and be easy to care for. I do not want fruit or products that will attract ants or other critters. I intend to look for dogwood, possibly forsythia, and almost anything else. I want a barrier from the green belt and my house. Also I need a barrier to hold back the spread of Rose Rosette Disease. I would love to hear any suggestions.

I separated my lilies in the fall. If they are living, should I see them yet?

If your crape myrtles turn black, you have the scale. If anyone wants to know how to treat it, let me know. It is very very serious, and cannot be treated with a few ladybugs.

Dawn, I'd love to meet you someday. You pulled at my heartstrings when you spoke of your father. My father grew roses at his home, and also started a rose garden in the town park, and maintained it. I always feel such "comfort" in the garden.

Sammy

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz