SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
immobilus

Damaged (baby) Crape Myrtles - Cut down? Leave alone? Replace?

immobilus
12 years ago

Hello...

I live in the desert and have two young crape myrtles in my yard. They are bred to grow in the desert. They got to about knee-high before they went dormant last year. While dormant, in mid-January, my new puppy dog got a hold of them and mauled them pretty well. One, the pink velour, was hurt so bad and I clipped about 4 inches off the vertical branch-trunks and removed all lateral branches. The other, the red rocket, was chewed pretty bad and had to be cut down to 3-7 inches depending the extent of the damage on each branch-trunk.

I know from basic studies that if a branch is cut at the end, because branches extend from their ends, it will cease to continue growing. I am concerned that these crape myrtles will not gain very much more height due to the ends of their branches being cut and will, instead, grow out and have a complicated branch system. I have three options, leave them be and let nature take its course, while hoping the trees end up growing correctly; replace them, since they're still under warranty; or cut them down to the root ball and let new suckers form to create new trunks while they're still young. (The plants are under one year old.)

Looking at the plants, and hoping you know a lot about crape myrtles, which option would you choose if you were looking for height AND fullness?

Thanks.

Image link:

Comment