SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vlf01

Crape Myrtle Questions

vickilf
12 years ago

Hi. I planted Natchez Crape Myrtles last year and pruned them in mid-March to 4 main trunk limbs each.

1. In a video on crape myrtles, a person tied the trucks together in the spring/summer to get the trunk limbs to meld to create one main trunk. Won�t this occur naturally as the tree matures or do I need to prune it back to one main trunk limb next year?

2. Branches and leaves are growing along these main limbs where I pruned. Do I clip them off now or leave them until next spring? I remove the suckers as they appear.

3. Some kids split one main trunk branch near the base and it did not die. I wrapped it in a foam wire to prevent more damage, but should I just cut it off now or wait until late fall or next spring?

4. I use a 14-14-14 fertilizer on everything from roses to shrubs, and flowers. I used it on the trees when I pruned them and will do so again the end of May, June and Sept. Is this too much? The trees are planted on the side of a hill in poor soil (clay with sandy top).

I know this is a lot, but I want to make sure these grow into beautiful trees for all to enjoy and info in the web is either incomplete or conflicting. Thanks for your help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz