SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justin2009

Landscaping & Crape Myrtle Questions

15 years ago

Hi, I'm not very good at gardening/landscaping. Wanted to get that out of the way first.

Second, I lost a huge live oak tree in the front yard due to oak wilt, outside of my circle drive. Under the live oak used to be a nice ivy, but is now taken over with weeds, briars, small woody growth, etc. The tree was cut down a year and a half ago and the area went to pot quickly after losing the shade.

I have two questions:

1) How to prepare for planting in that area. The growth is THICK with briars, weeds, etc. I was thinking about tilling all of this under, planting the crape myrtles, and mulching on top of that entire area, but I'm open to suggestions. I don't really want to use a herbicide since I plan on planting the crape myrtles and possibly sodding the outer areas away from the crape myrtles. I might even plant additional plants near the crape myrtles. Not sure.

2) Which variety of red or dark pink crape myrtle grows tallest? My wife would like red or really dark pink. The area is large and is 100% full sun. No power lines or any other obstructions. Taller would be better.

The area shaded by the tree is about 60 feet by 25 feet, so I'm thinking I can get 5 crape myrtles planted and they will fill in nicely if they get to around 10-15 feet wide at maturity.

I'm also looking for suggestions for other non-oak trees that are fast growing and shady for other areas of the yard.

Thanks,

Justin

Comments (9)