SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmichellek

Please can you help? My jades are dying... see pics

Jade Jade88
7 years ago

Hello everyone;

I have been a long time reader of Gardenweb and I am hoping someone out there might respond to my jade problem.

I purchased 2 jade plants (Gollum I think?) at the same time. They were both potted in a black plastic pot and both had a few yellowing leaves but nothing drastic. I assumed the nursery had been overwatering because the soil was very damp. I spent a lot of money (for me) on these plants but I had been looking for Gollum/trumpet jades for a long time so I took the chance.

After a few weeks of them being home I noticed a white chalky film on the branches of both plants. At first I thought it was dust. Then I started thinking it was scale. I inpected each plant THOROUGHLY and have not found a single scale bug. I know what they look like. I then thought possibly mealy? Still, no bugs found and I have looked at dozens of photos online so I feel like I know what to look for but I am certainly no expert.

My next thought was bacterial or root rot. I repotted one of the jades (I will call this one "JADE A") in a mixture of succulent soil and bonsai soil so it would be "grittier", in a slightly larger clay pot and made sure the drainage hole was not blocked. I did not cut roots back but tried to release as much of the old soil as I could without disturbing them. The second jade, (I will call "JADE B") is still in the original black plastic pot from the nursery. I have not done anything with this jade yet.

Both are not doing well. JADE A, the sprayed and repotted jade, is losing leaves daily. JADE A doesn't look terrible in the pictures, probably because all of the powdery stuff has been removed from brand x, but believe me it is not doing well. The pictures in this post were taken just moments ago. JADE A is just a shadow of it's former self...I think it has lost well over 100 leaves. JADE B is also losing leaves AND still has this powdery stuff all over it. The white powder is not especially "sticky" if that helps. Both jades get lots of light. Both jades get water every other week or less...and I am especially careful not to over-water. If anything I under-water.

I know this is a long post, so I appreciate any of you who are still reading. I am desperate to save these jades! I have asked for advice and taken leaves to reputable nurseries and they have not been much help. Suggestion was to cut back on water, which is not the problem I am certain of this. I have had other jades for years (you can see the other 2 that are healthy in last photo) and have not had a problem I just don't understand what I am doing wrong or missing

Any advice is SO APPRECIATED! Thank you in advance!

Comments (31)