SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

I Finally did it! My First Rose Seedlings!

Alana8aSC
7 years ago

I believe it's been three years now, that I've been trying to do this, and finally, sweet success! Last year the birds fooled me, but this year it's been done indoors! These are the first few to actually come above the soil line, but I just put three more in this morning that germinated. These are just seeds no, actual crossings yet, I know two are R. California seedlings, I got them from someone on here, sorry I can't remember who, and two have germinated on those, and it's actually the bigger one in the photo, is this first one to come up.. The rest, I know pretty much who I got hips from, but didn't mess with labeling, since I haven't been successful yet. So happy! Now that I've been successful I can actually do some of my own crossings!
Sorry the second picture somehow went up top, but you get the picture! lol

Comments (83)

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I did that with a couple to Buford, but the rest I keep fluctuating the temp on, and have gotten more sprouts that way too. We are in trail and error stage now I believe :) I read somewhere that you can now put them in a better soil but I'm scared to burn the small roots. Rose seek if you see this can you chime in and give us some pointers on where to go from here?

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

It's gotten very warm here, so I'm not using the heat mat anymore.And I took the dome off. I was afraid of too much moisture. We will see what happens!

Alana8aSC thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
  • Related Discussions

My Knockout Rose Bushes- Did I kill my rose bushes?

Q

Comments (2)
    Right, don't fertilize until they have recovered and have put out plenty of leaves. Bloom Buster is the wrong kind of fertilizer--regular Miracle Gro or Miracle Gro for Roses is fine, or any reasonably balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or 18-6-12. Watering correctly is the most important thing. Keep a 2" mulch of leaves or bark around the roses. When the soil under the mulch feels dry-ish, water thoroughly with 2-3 gallons for small plants or 5 gallons for larger, plus or minus for extremely hot or very mild, cloudy weather. Usually once a week is fine. For new plants, I divide the ration in half and water twice a week.
    ...See More

I believe my first Brug seedling has Y'd- seed from Gary

Q

Comments (4)
    Shawn thanks. Oh yes how I would love to see and have a ORANGE :-) So you think I am right about the Y...I just can not pin point WHERE it is? In the left picture on the bottom? You know this morning I said to my hubby that there is SOMETHING going on in this flowerbed!!! EVERYTHING grows HUGE in there. Got the same EE in the whiskey barrel and it does not come close to be as big as this one is! And yes that is the MOMMY from the Babies I send out :-) Mine gets sun until about 2 or 3 pm. But so does the whiskey barrel one. Lucy
    ...See More

**finally** first seedling to bloom 09 - pics

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks everyone... I was so happy! It was raining cats and dogs here yesterday with lightning and thunder, but that didn't stop me from going out to take photos with an umbrella!! This is a seedling that was planted in the yard in fall of '08. I have four other sibs, but none of them have even got a scape yet. Funny how crosses work. Here is another photo from later in the day:
    ...See More

My first year growing roses from seed. I have my first bud!

Q

Comments (5)
    The first has bloomed now, and I've posted pictures. I'm doing a time lapse video of these growing, so I think I have the light too far away to accommodate the cameras. They are under a 7" humidity dome, and the light is on top. If I didn't have to accommodate the cameras, I'd put the light about an inch or two away from the top of the plant.
    ...See More
  • roseseek
    7 years ago

Congratulations! I fully understand the desire to use organics. I would not if you're raising them indoors for a few reasons. Organics are most beneficial with some heat, soil temps of at least 70 F where the bacteria and fungi are working to digest them, to release their nutrients more efficiently. Unless your soil is close to that threshold, you may just be adding more and more "dead fish" to it with little benefit. Also, I don't like the idea of using anything "dead animal" in my house. Due to my "pack", I can't use organics at all. "Dead animal" anything is HIGHLY attractive to dogs and four of these are retired brood mother/show dogs who LOVE "keeping their nests clean" by eating EVERYTHING possible, particularly "scat" of any kind. Fish, blood/bone meal, etc. is food to them (heck, EVERYTHING edible is food to them) so IF I want to fertilize anything, I use inorganic, water soluble in weak solutions after making sure everything is watered well. If the instructions suggest a tablespoon per gallon of water, I will use a teaspoon, or a half teaspoon per gallon. You can always add more but it's very difficult to remove any once applied. The inorganics are immediately available to the plants for use where most organics require being "digested" to release the nutritive values. Use the fish emulsion if you wish, but if you want faster, more dramatic results, pick up some all purpose water soluble and mix a weak solution of it to use on them. It doesn't attract animals and won't "rot" if it's too wet or cold for the bacteria to digest and it doesn't smell like organics do. "Infants" eat weak, small meals of easily digested food. Weak solutions of inorganics fit that description quite well. But, as I wrote, it's your choice.

Alana8aSC thanked roseseek
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

One last question, can they be transferred to potting soil now, the oldest ones, or with it burn the delicate roots, or should I make a soil with no added fertilizer? and then water them with a diluted fertilizer?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

Hi Alana. Just curious... why do you want to transfer them now? I have never grown roses from seed before, but I am very inspired by everyone in these forums who is!

If I was growing anything else from seed though.... they look extremely tiny and young to transfer now and I would just let them be since they seem happy enough to sprout and they're growing in what they are currently in. Just curious why you want to transfer now. Thank you for sharing all of this with us! :)

Alana8aSC thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Good job! I got some from Kim, but none are doing anything yet. Not inside the fridge nor outside. Maybe there's still hope. Lisa

Alana8aSC thanked Lisa Adams
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Cori I'm transferring them now because the first one had gotten tall and could almost reach the top. I want to leave the top on for other seeds that haven't come above soil yet. I've already took the biggest one out and cut a top of out a clear bottle to accumulate it to being without it.

I've read that after sprouting, they are supposed to be moved anyways. Or maybe after first leaf, which that one had anyway..There's just so many different ways to do it and finding what works for me.

• Alana8aSC thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You Welcome!

• seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

Congratulations to everyone! Looks like you're all having great success at it. My seeds are in the fridge still. I didn't get to them until the first of February so they need more time to stratify. I'll probably start checking them the first of March. Here's to a wonderful year of rose growing!

Alana8aSC thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I hope you have a wonderful year too Seil!

• Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    7 years ago

How fun, please keep us posted as they grow!

Alana8aSC thanked Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
  • roseseek
    7 years ago

As long as the soil retains sufficient moisture and drains appropriately, it should be OK. I raise my seedlings outdoors in MG Moisture Control Potting Soil. I have never noticed any issues with root burn. If you don't want fertilizer in the potting soil, choose one without it.

Alana8aSC thanked roseseek
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's all I needed to know Thanks so much!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    7 years ago

Congrats and nice work! I was able to germinate some seeds from Robin Hood years ago, but all subsequent attempts have been failures. This thread re-inspired me, so over the weekend I collected more hips from my Lyda Rose and have winter-sowed them. We'll see what happens. Be sure to keep us posted as the plants progress!

-Chris

Alana8aSC thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's Great Chris! I'm planning to keep updated :)

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

My seedlings are progressing nicely. Many have three real rose leaves. I will probably have to move some of them soon. I took out all the seeds I had in the fridge that have been in there for more than a few weeks and planted them. I see some of them coming up. I also was able to harvest more seeds, this time from Heritage. I usually 'top off' my roses after a hard freeze, but this year I didn't get to it, so I still have hips left on many roses.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Wow, neat!!

Alana8aSC thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They look so beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I'll update soon on mine! I received some wonderful news for my daughter today! Here's a picture of the letter I received. Since we live off my Disability I started a fundraiser page. Sorry for off topic, but I am so proud!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Good for her, Alana. I hope she has a great experience there.

Alana8aSC thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think she will if we can get her there, but I think we will! So excited for her :)

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's a update on my seedlings. I had a couple get damp off? I think that is what it is called, and die. I guess natures way of taking out the weak? Anywho here is some more pictures.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Congratulations on your daughter's success! Your seedlings look great! Did you sand any of your seeds?

Alana8aSC thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No I just cleaned the well in a sieve. Thank You! I'm so proud of her!

• Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

Alana, that's great news about your daughter's achievements. I hope she enjoys the program. Did you do an online fundraiser?

Congratulations,

Virginia

Alana8aSC thanked Vicissitudezz
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes I did a Gofundme, I'm not sure if it will get anything. It's in my name. Monday some friends are going to help me do a Krispy Kreme Fundraiser , and then depending on those results we may do a bake sale. We have to get $500 to get her spot then pay the rest by April. I don't remember the date exact. We are going to try and do this for her and I'm so excited for her and proud of her !

• Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

Just in case anyone else is interested:

https://www.gofundme.com/pathway-to-stem-for-future-leaders

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Virginia! I'm not great at posting link, and Thank you for helping her!

• Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

Alana, you're very welcome. I hope you can raise the money you need. I think we need more women in STEM jobs.

Good luck,

Virginia

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree Virginia!

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

I've lost a few seedlings to what I am guessing is 'damping off'. They just wilted and collapsed. I am going to transfer some of the remaining larger ones to separate pots to see if that helps. But I still have a lot of seedlings, more are coming up each day.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

Buford are you using a heat mat under your tray? I've had my seeds in the fridge, and now put them out on my screen porch, thinking of planting them all soon, and I don't know if they want heat or not. Thanks!

Alana8aSC thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's what mine did Buford, I guess the weak one's are taking there selves out?

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

I have been using a heat mat. But I think I should have moved the larger ones out of the seed trays and into pots sooner. I think once they have 'real' leaves they are ready to move on. I can't put mine outside yet, it's too cold at night.

• Rosefolly
    7 years ago

Best wishes to both of you on your seeding adventures

Alana8aSC thanked Rosefolly
  • Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

Damping Off I found this article on damping Off, it's about tomatoes, but I think the concept is the same. The mistake I made is not using sterile soil. There are some other good tips here too. I did lose some seedlings, but I have some that seem to have survived and I repotted them.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes I had some do the same way, but I have others that are doing great.

Hopefully they will continue to do so..I thought my soil was sterile since it came of of the bag, so maybe something else caused it too?

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

I did buy a bottle of organic fungicide that was recommended. I think besides using sterile soil, consistent temperature and moisture are important.

7 years ago

Yeah not getting them too wet helps. If you are using dome tops, crack them open a little so some air gets in. I use the heat mat under petunias and stuff, once they sprout I crack the lid, leave the heat on for another day or two and then turn it off. Keep the lights like an inch or so away from the top. The Growing From Seed forum is really helpful! I haven't planted any rose seeds yet, just been pulling the germinated ones out of the paper towels, so I haven't put them on heat, just planting them in little plastic shot glasses and stuffing them under the lights. Fun winter project for sure! All just OP seeds, nothing fancy.

Alana8aSC thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

Update. I have 3 strong specimens from my Wild Irish Rose, one from Queen Elizabeth and one I just put in it's own pot (really a toilet paper roll!) of Pierre Gagnaire. I still have some seedlings sprouting in the tray, but I've learned that once they get enough leaves, I remove them and put them in a pot with no cover. I am alternating the grow light between the potted roses and the tray. The smaller seedlings really do better with the tray, they need the humidity. I haven't seen any more damping off since I used the copper fungicide. I still have seeds in the fridge. Here are some pics.

Wild Irish Rose seedlings

QE Seedling. This is my strongest seedling. The stem actually has some substance to it and has turned a bit pink

This is my toilet paper roll pot! So easy to do. The seedling is Pierre Gagnaire.

The remaining seedlings in the tray. Some are almost ready to move to separate pots. Ebb Tide has a few and more WIR and Anna des Diebach.

This is the copper fungicide I've been using. It seems to have stopped the damping off.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

I'm so excited that I've made plans for what crosses I want to do this year. I used HMF to find out which of my roses were used as crosses for other roses. HMF gives you the seed and the pollen and if you are a member you can get more detailed family tree. So I was able to see which of my roses made good seed parents or pollen parents. I'm going to try some interesting crosses this year. I just have to protect the hips from the critters!

• Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

In the FWIW department, a couple of years ago, I raised more than 60 seedlings from hips I rescued from a public garden (and a few other roses), and they stayed outside the whole time during a polar vortex winter (planted out after Thanksgiving 2014 with seedlings starting to show up in Jan/Feb 2015). I used my regular potting mix (compost, peat moss, plant-tone and sand), but I used extra sand (just regular all-purpose sand from Lowe's, not builder's sand, which is best for rooting cuttings). The sand promotes drainage, so no issues with damping off. No heat mats, no peroxide, no fungicides.

By mid-February I had about 40 seedlings, but others showed up later on.

My husband built what we call the squirrel cage (keeps the varmints out, not in) from hardware cloth and piping, and the seedlings stayed protected until they started to outgrow their shared pots and needed their own pots. I think the cage was covered with a tarp when we had freezes, but they didn't go inside or even onto the back porch. Once they achieved some size they were moved to a sheltered place on the ground under a large oak. Dappled shade evidently was sufficient light. More than 60 seedlings was too many, so I let most die through a tough love/attrition process, so theoretically, the surviving 15-20 roses are the toughest of the tough. Most have Noisette parents, but a few are clearly more modern. Here's my post from the propagation forum with a few photos of early blooms...

Virginia

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to a update on your seedlings Virginia! I'm also told vermiculite helps with the damping off too. Thanks for sharing what you've learned Buford! I'm going to have to get me some of that spray! I will take UD pics of mine soon!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    6 years ago

Anybody have updates on their seedlings? After a last ditch, wintersowing effort, I've ended up with two seedlings from a batch of Lyda rose seeds. Not the greatest success rate, but these were taken from hips that had still been on the bush midway through the winter, so maybe not the most viable seed either. Looking forward to seeing them bloom!

-Chris

Alana8aSC thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I tried transitioning mine outside, I think to young and the cat's and chickens killed them. I got some more germinating and will leave these in the house longer..

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    6 years ago

I have about 6 left. The one I thought was the strongest just up and died, I have no idea why. I had one bloom, a single yellowish bloom and now two others have buds. Those were all on seedlings from My Wild Irish Rose. I have an Ebb Tide and an Ink Spots seedling. I would like to see a bloom on those.

6 years ago

Oh you guys have me worried now! I just re potted mine and am transitioning them outdoors. What do you think the issue was outside? I have some kind of fun blooms from OP Pam's Choice, I hope they make it.

Ha ha I see I need to go edit my label!

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Buford, thanks for the picture of the spray you use. I lost a couple to dampening off too. Only the ones I did indoors were affected. The ones outside had no problem with dampening off whatsoever. Better air circulation outside, perhaps?

That is so pretty, Dingo! Well done. I have some seedlings going with one just about to bloom, from Blue for You. Roseseek sent me the seeds, and I have six happy little plants in pots outside. I can't wait for that bud to open. Maybe I should check all the seeds I forgot about in the fridge, on wet paper towels! Lisa

6 years ago

Oh I love Blue for You! Don't give up on your seeds, they may still be sprouting. I took all mine and planted them last week finally.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

One is soooo close to opening. Maybe today. Maybe for Mothers Day.