SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johanne_auerbock

Feedback on our master bath

Johanne Auerbock
7 years ago

I'm about 2 months away from starting work on our master bath, so I thought I'd drop the plans here and ask for any ideas/feedback/tips from anyone who wants to take the time to peruse. Thoughts on layout, ideas for cool accessories or storage, lighting, whatever: I've never done a remodel so any thoughts are welcome. We are hiring a contractor, so I don't need DIY tips.

As explanation: one door (on the vanity side) goes into our bedroom, the other goes to our office (the one on the shower side); if someone wants to convert the office to a second bedroom in the future, I figure they can fairly easily turn that doorway into a closet, but for us being able to pass through directly will be great.

One thing I'm not sure what to do with is that wall between the two doors. Currently the plan has towel racks, but they are impractically placed, so I was planning to just paint that wall with broad stripes probably in either neutral beiges (picking up floor tile) or bluish gray (picking up accent tiles) and put some art on it.

For tile, we're planning to use the following; I'd prefer practical feedback to aesthetic, since tastes obviously vary, but open to aesthetic as well if you'd like:

For shower walls, wrapping all the way behind toilet

For shower niche (2 tiles tall, 6 tiles wide)

For backsplash (1 tile tall, without the red centers)

For floor (all 1 color, the same as the smaller tile, and in a smooth finish, not the limestone finish shown), and with a sealant that will hopefully give a bit of matte shine. The one thing I worry about is that a concrete floor could be kind of rough on the feet?

For shower floor (anyone have pebbles on shower floor? Are they OK to clean/practical? I'm a little skeptical, but the tile lady assures me they are awesome).
For counter

The vanity will be dark wood, and I'm hoping to have white wainscoting wrapping around half-wall in shower, behind the toilet, under the window to the vanity. I'm not sure if that requires I also have wainscoting on the far wall between the doors.

Comments (2)