SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caymaiden

Floor plan feedback...especially master bath

caymaiden
10 years ago

Hello everyone! So happy to finally have something to post! We have a draft floor plan from our architect and love everything BUT.... (there's always a but, it seems).

Originally, the master bedroom was on the first floor, with two children's bedrooms and a family room up top. After thinking about it, we thought it would be better to switch the master and the family room to avoid having our two boys ensconced overhead and us downstairs. We were hoping to create a home in which there was a bit more interaction between family members.

Unfortunately, making that switch has created a difficulty in planning the master bathroom. It leaves us with two small rooms (each 6 x 10) and one larger connecting area. In these plans, the connecting area is smaller because there is an attic staircase and large hall-access storage immediately behind them, but I think we will need to sacrifice those and add the space to the master suite. What we are thinking is that is might make sense to have two smaller "his and hers" bathrooms connected by a walk-through closet. His would have shower, hand sink and toilet; hers bath with handheld shower, sink and toilet. I think there is room to locate the toilet in the "hers" bathroom off to the side of the ear-marked 6 x 10 space.

I have puzzled and puzzled over this and am tempted to move the master back downstairs where it's a no-brainer, but my husband is really keen to make this work.

If anyone has any feedback or ideas, about the master bathroom or more generally about the overall floor plan, I would be very glad to hear them. Would two smaller bathrooms be too odd? In fact, that is how we live now. My husband generally uses the hall bath (5 x 11) and I use our small master (7 x 10). It would work for us...not sure about resale.

I am attaching a close-up of the master suite and will also post the entire first and second floors. Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments (4)