SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephrdob

L Shaped Kitchen Layout_ Any Advice Appreciated

stephrdob
7 years ago

My husband and I are building a house. I am trying to make final kitchen plans. This is my first time doing this and it is a little overwhelming. We are contracting the work ourselves and designed the floor plan. I am including the kitchen plan I have and the house floor plan to give context. The ceilings are 96" high. The exterior door opens in. The window in the kitchen is actually one 3' picture window flanked by 2 2' double hung windows all attached together. They are 36" high and begin 48" off the floor. The windows and the door are the only thing that cannot be moved. The plumbing is run to where the sink is planned to be. The island will not have electric or water. I currently have a similar island that I love. I know many people have sinks or cooktops on their islands but I want it mainly so my children can help me cook and we can have a large area to serve food, cook etc. We have 4 children and enjoy having people over to eat but we are very informal. I would like to figure out a way to put more bar stools at the island so my children can all sit there and do homework, chat, eat breakfast etc at the island.

We eat 3 meals a day at home most days and homeschool so our kitchen sees a lot of action. We aren't doing anything fancy but I do use my stove and oven a lot. I do not like cluttered counters so optimizing my storage space is important to me. We are planning to go with ikea cabinets and using all drawers for the bottom cabinets.

I really want the sink centered under the window. I would also really like to have a drawer close to the dishwasher so all everyday dishes can be unloaded straight into a drawer. I have considered an appliance garage for my Kitchenaid mixer, toaster, etc but I don't know exactly what I want to do about that. I am planning white cabinets and a marble effect quartz countertop. Some sort of tile backsplash. Stainless steel appliances.

Not sure if I'm leaving anything out. The kitchen will be the first thing you see when you enter the front door so I really want it to look nice but it also needs to be very functional because it has to accommodate a lot of people and do a lot of work. Thank you so much for any help you have to offer. I am open to suggestions.

P.S. Please disregard the "9ft dining hall" on the floor plan.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!