SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike7658

Layout/Flow advice: Broken L or L Shaped Kitchen with Island

Michael
6 years ago

This is our new house we are building in Central Florida, the dining room window has eastern exposure, with a view of a nature preserve with water in the distance, and a pool along the length of the back porch. The concrete block walls went up last week, so we are unable to change anything on the exterior, but can still make changes to interior framing (except where plumbing is located).

We have been struggling with the kitchen layout, and wanted to get some feedback from others on the idea of closing off the highlighted entryway to the kitchen to make it a true L shaped kitchen. We were thinking that this would give us more options in the kitchen for placement of appliances/cabinets, more counter space, possibly larger island, and eliminate using the kitchen as a primary walk through.

However that change would result in having to walk from the garage/laundry, down the short hallway past the den, to get into the kitchen, (around 13 feet further in distance). We would also have a corner to deal with using either: corner pantry, corner oven, or corner cabinets (lazy susan).

I am personally not a fan of the complete open concept, and prefer to separate spaces, so have been leaning towards closing off the kitchen entrance.

Does anyone think closing that off would be a mistake or hurt the flow of the house?

Here is a closer view of the kitchen area showing dimensions. I also have some renderings I did using a 3d drawing program of some of the options we are playing with as far as the kitchen layout that I can share. Thanks everyone!

Comments (12)