SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliciaandbilly

What window to use - double hung or casement?

aliciaandbilly
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Our house is a 1925 Dutch Colonial Revival, and we're working with an architect to design a master bath /closet addition where the sleeping porch was (over the sunroom). The sunroom windows will be replaced with the original design (2 x 5 divided light casement / french casement windows) and the newly added upstairs dormers on the front and back will each get a french casement the same width as the downstairs (36").

The window I'm NOT sure about is on the side. We have space for a singular window, centered on the roof hip. I BELIEVE, due to the addition's set-back that the roof hip will NOT be centered on the casement windows below.

Wall placements prevent another 36"W french casement, so we can do either 18" W or 27" W, casement or double hung. Would it be inappropriate to have a singular double hung on the part of the house that is otherwise all casement windows? The main part of the house is all double hung windows. Any historical/architectural thoughts on which would be most appropriate? We're trying really hard to make this look as original as possible to the house while still allowing us the badly needed space.

Here's a picture of the front of the house from a few years ago (right after we had the shutters installed):

and here's a side/back shot of the sunroom, showing the south side of the house, pre-shutters and landscaping.Everything to the right of the existing door will be bathroom. Everything to the left closet. The window in question will be in the bathroom over the toilet.

and here are the photos of the rough 3-D model our architect did, showing the front and side angle:

The upper french casement will be centered over the lower casement (like i said - rough model)

The 3-D model shows 3 18" W casements on the south wall, but due to interior layout changes, we need to limit it to one centered window, which can't exceed 27" W.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)