SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyvia_gw

windows double hung casement awning height etc

lyvia
13 years ago

My kitchen addition has a horse shoe wall - I added ten feet (exterior dimension) off the back, about sixteen feet wide, but with the back corners clipped off. The resulting angle is four feet across. So there is a window in each angle section, and in the kitchen the range/hood is in the middle, and we are trying to get sidelight windows on either side of the range.

Above is the new master bath, with the same windows in the angle sections and a big tub window in the center.

On the other side of the back, (from above it looks like two huge breasts added on the back of the house)below is new quasi-basement storage, and above is the new computer room which echoes the angle and the angle windows.

So this week, I am trying to finalize windows. The angle windows used to be all 2036 dh, which is two foot wide three and a half foot tall double hung. The architect changed half of them to 2040 casement because there are some existing casement windows in other rooms on the kitchen side of the house. That just seems really odd. Is she trying to save me money? But the window in the toilet stall is 2040 casement. Who needs a four foot tall window next to a toilet? (forty feet to the neighbor!)

I guess I need to review all these windows, because some of them are set too low as well. Front and side windows are very expensive here for heat gain, leading to glaring hot rooms.

Here's an old layout - we squeezed in a wall oven over the counter next to the fridge and made the picture window smaller, and the center table is smaller too.

Any hints on how to place windows? Doublehung or casement? How high a windowsill is comfortable?

Comments (4)