SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Window: Casement vs. Double Hung

Carrie B
10 years ago

I'm planning a complete kitchen remodel, and hope to ad a window in the space with the horse picture/candleabra/bookshelf so that I can look out the window at the garden while sitting at the table.

While the kitchen will be completely redone, the kitchen table will remain largely where it is, as will the peninsula, with the addition of a sink roughly in the middle of the peninsula, looking out into the living room.

I will mostly look out the window while sitting in the kitchen chair, facing it, but also while I'm coming down the stairs, and also at the sink, if I turn my head to the left.

My KD emailed me tonight asking if I preferred casement or fixed. I responded that if fixed means I can't open it, well, I don't want that. I then also brought up double hung as a possibility.

What are pros and cons to a double hung vs. casement in this space? I know that casement will stick out into the garden when open, and that could be an issue in my little city garden. Other considerations? I know that both windows have pros/cons re: visual obstructions.

View from up the stairs:

View from living room:

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH