SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ash6181

Please review- the whole enchilada

ash6181
10 years ago

IâÂÂm going to post the whole enchilada for you all to review: pictures of the land, site plan, all elevations, and all floor plans, along with the general color scheme and materials for the exterior. IâÂÂve posted the kitchen on the kitchen forum for advice and will be posting on the bathroom forum also. I previously posted the front elevation for review with concerns that it had too much going on, and have made some changes since then. The exterior changes were done by me using Photoshop, so if anything looks slightly blurry or wonky itâÂÂs my fault. As I posted in another thread, weâÂÂre still trying to decide what to do about windows. Casement vs. double hung, grids or no grids?

Please give me your honest opinions, even if that opinion is that the house is builder âÂÂplopâ as another thread put it. I can take it, IâÂÂm tough. IâÂÂm open to any advice that you think will improve any aspect of the house and make it less plop-ish.

With that said, though, these plans are the result of many compromises and attempts to balance different interests. Many things have come into play: thereâÂÂs the budget (of course), what I like vs. what my husband likes, form vs. function, what the homeownerâÂÂs association likes, what the building inspectors like, working with a sloped lot, attempting to maximize views, making sure the house will integrate well with the other houses in the neighborhood, adding features that we like and customizing things to the way we live, but making sure the house doesnâÂÂt make other people want to vomitâ¦.and on and on. If the budget didnâÂÂt matter, I had no one to please but myself, and plenty of time on my hands, IâÂÂm sure IâÂÂd be building a different house. IâÂÂm sure this is not a house for the ages, but thatâÂÂs OK. IâÂÂll be satisfied if it is comfortable, meets our needs and our lifestyle, and is reasonably attractive.

But, that doesnâÂÂt mean I want it to be a plop- so please, share your advice! (Yes, IâÂÂm loving the word âÂÂplopâ right now for some reason.) IâÂÂll post all of the different elements in follow-up posts, as I think some of the pictures I need are on another computer. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

Ashley

Comments (33)