SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyday321

Please review VERY prelim floorplan, and glass walls??

happyday321
7 years ago

Hello - I'm a little nervous about posting here, but would really like input from all of you. My husband and I are planning on building a 2-story house in the midwest with a design/build firm. The house will be situated so the rear of the house faces southwest. There is a man-made lake / canal in the back and we will be able to see the houses across the water from the back of our house. The grade of the lot requires it to be a walkout basement house. We have 3 kids, ages 6 and under. We have family that lives in town that visits 2-3 times a week, so we very regularly have 10 people eating dinner at our place at once, and also often have out-of-town guests staying with us.

This is a preliminary floorplan for the first floor that we have hammered out with the designer. On the second floor, we plan to have 4 bedrooms (including the master) and laundry room. Our goal was to have a formal entry space that still keeps the more informal areas of the house private. My husband and I will use the library as a place to store textbooks, study and work on presentations, etc. We are planning on using the "study center" as a place for kids to work on the computer relatively close to the kitchen so we can help / keep an eye on them.

One of the questions we have specifically is, what do you think about the placement of the outdoor covered living area (covered porch). Initially, it was placed to the rear of the kitchen / dining nook. There actually was initially a floor-to-ceiling glass wall between the great room and the covered porch, something that could slide up and open up the whole room to the covered porch to create one large living area. The covered porch would then have retractable screens. I asked to change it because 1) I was concerned this would make the kitchen dark, and 2) I didn't feel that a glass wall would feel "homey" enough. I would rather have walls/windows/nice drapes. But what do you all think? Is the covered outdoor living area connected enough to the other living spaces - or do you think it is so far that we would not end up using it much? We are thinking of putting an outdoor fireplace there.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor