SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Puffed air --ground turkey package?

sooz
7 years ago

When we buy ground turkey at Costco or the local chain grocery store, we put them in the freezer.

Yesterday, I took out two packages and set them on the kitchen counter for an hour. The house was not warm if that makes any difference.

When I went to put them in the fridge (to defrost and be ready for meatloaf-making on Saturday), one of the packages was puffed up with air (?) on the inside of it. The ground turkey was still frozen solid. The other package was not puffed up, and still frozen solid as well.

I poked a hole in the puffed package to make it flat before I put it in the fridge. This morning, the formerly puffed package is still flat, and both packages are still frozen solid.

Is it okay to eat? I've looked online as well as this site, and of course, I'll do the smell test, but online info yielded a variety of "it's okay use it" to "if in doubt, throw it out."

If this is an example of MAP Packaging, why did it puff up *after* I had set it on the kitchen counter? As I said, the package is still frozen solid.

Thanks!!!!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (11)