SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sebby77

Layout Help Please for Forever Home

sebby77
7 years ago

Hi All,

Well I’m back and we are finally ready to start renovating the kitchen in our current house. For context, here is our last kitchen that you so kindly helped us with: Prior Kitchen

Structural:

We have access to the basement below, so we can move plumbing, etc. We are taking down the wall between the kitchen and family room. We have already opened it up to the point load, but will be taking it down the rest of the way. No uppers on the wall where the sink is. Our house is dark, so to maximize the light we will put in large windows. Door to the screened porch will remain, just be moved down.

Current Kitchen Issues:

The biggest problem is the pinch point between the fridge and island. This is the main artery through the house and is only 25” wide from fridge handle to countertop. It’s ridiculous. Second issue is walking around the island to get to the fridge. Third thing we dislike is the cooktop on the island, so we’ll move that to a perimeter wall. Currently, the dishwasher is to the left of the sink, and even after two years, I can’t get used to it. I’m right-handed and would prefer to have it on the right hand side. Dislike the “mom” desk. Only gets used as a dumping ground for junk.

Wants:

The biggest island we can fit. I realize that at 13.5 feet wide, we don’t have a ton of space for a large island, but I’d like to make it work, if we can. We find it to be a gathering place. We are constantly standing around it, as are our guests. So we’d like it to be large, useable for prep space, and have seating. We also want to kitchen to function well, as our last one did.

Concerns:

Am I being greedy with the size of the island? Is it too big for the kitchen, and does it block the flow through the butler’s pantry area to the dining room? The first floor is a bit of a labyrinth with the traffic pattern from the garage to the family room. I’d like to make that easier to traverse and not build more obstacles. Is the dishwasher too jammed into the corner? Will I be able to load and unload? Is the corner susan too small to be functional? I like to store small appliances in there.

About Us:

Two adults and a 3 1/2 year old. Husband and I both love to cook, and when entertaining we prep/cook together. Daughter loves to bake. Dog loves to counter-surf. We plan on making this our forever home.

We welcome all advice/input! You all helped us design the perfect kitchen last time around. Thank you!

Current Floorplan:

Proposed Kitchen:

Comments (9)