SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

I think I might've finally figured out the best way to root cuttings

bethnorcal9
7 years ago

I hope I'm not jumping the gun here...

As some of you may know, I've been trying to root florist rose cuttings for several yrs off and on. Only had one actually root about 5-6yrs ago. That was VERSILIA. I've tried many different ways, and failed with the rest of them. I finally decided to go back to what worked with VERSILIA and other roses... sort of. I actually have adapted it a little. What always used to work was sticking several of the same cuttings in a one gallon pot with regular potting soil, and I would place a 2litre bottle with the bottom cut off and lid removed over the cuttings. Just let the pot sit out in the weather and spray with water once in awhile. This time tho, I decided to try putting the pot inside a 2gal zip lock-type baggie. The bottle tops limit how tall of cuttings you can use. With the baggies, I can put taller cuttings, even with the one gal pot inside. I used those big baggies when I tried rooting in sand and clear drink cups indoors with a lamp and warmth. That only led to them getting moldy and black. Sooo.. I figured they'd stay moist with the baggies and get whatever true light there is outside. The cold weather actually has kept them nice and green and there's no mold and so far no blackening stems.

I first tried this about 5 months ago when I took cuttings of my old SPICE TWICE rose that I had given to my mom many yrs ago. I actually took the cuttings a couple weeks before she passed away in August. I knew Mom wasn't going to be around much longer because she was 98, had dementia, and had had breast cancer two yrs before, and became bed-ridden. I wanted to make sure I got those cuttings before something happened. Little did I know it would be so soon after that. Those cuttings took quickly. In October we sold Mom's house and I went back before escrow closed and got a bunch more cuttings of SPICE TWICE as well as what I believe is SMOOTH ANGEL, another rose I had given her yrs ago. Most of the other roses I gave her have since gone to rootstock. Anyway, so I did those cuttings the same way... one gal pot in a 2gal zip lock baggie. Oh, and I also took cuttings of my "rare" DA rose SUMMER SONG about the same time. These are all looking good and growth is slowly sprouting

Then a week or so before Xmas, I found at the local Safeway market's florist dept, the gorgeous stripey rose GELATO. I had to give it a try. After nearly a month, it looks like the two pots of cuttings appear to be making it. They are nice and green, the leaves are still mostly intact, and budeyes are slowly swelling. Well, after all, it's been in the 50s down to high 30s out there. Very cold. But they appear to be withstanding it better than the ones I did last yr in warmth indoors under light! Those failed within about 2weeks. I seriously think these just might be rooting!! Like I said tho, I hope I'm not jumping the gun in talking about it. But I think if they were failing, I'd see signs of it by now.

The weather has been so wet and cold, I haven't had a chance to try potting up anything else since then. It's supposed to be sunny for the next several days. I'm hoping to get to Safeway tomorrow after work to see if they got anything exciting in. Our Safeway gets rose bundles Mon-Wed-Fri. If nothing out of the ordinary, I might grab CHERRY BRANDY. They almost always have that rose. I actually had a plant from Carltons yrs ago, but it died from my not checking the sprinklers very well back then. It wasn't getting enough water during our hot summers.

When I get a chance, I'll get some pics... (keep finger crossed that they're making it...)

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living