How Old Were You When You Were Married?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (61)
Related Discussions
How old were you when you started cooking?
Comments (29)The first food I remember making was Roly-Polies when I was about four. It wasn't until about a year or two ago that my cousin discovered this snapshot of me making them. I'd roll out the scraps from my mother's pie crust between two sheets of waxed paper. Then I'd spread it with peanut butter and cinnamon/sugar, roll it up, slice, and put on a cookie sheet for my mom to bake. As an only child, I was my mom's sous chef (tipping beans, whipping cream, decorating cookies, etc.) and I learned a step at a time, always thinking it was fun. All the women in our family used to congregate at my aunt's house in the summer for a week or two of canning and freezing vast amounts of food for the year. I started as a tomato and peach skin peeler. My dad and two uncles had boats so cleaning fish and picking crabs was the beginning of my seafood cooking education. My friends and I used to make little stoves out of potato chip cans and coat hangers and have simple cookouts on them. We'd also wrap potatoes in clay and roast them in a bonfire while we were ice skating and things like that. My cooking skills progressed so that when my father was killed when I was 12 and my mother went to work full-time, I made most of the dinners for us. That's when I started experimenting with different kinds of soups and stews that could be heated up and eaten at any time. When I was 16, I acquired a stepfather who was a wonderful cook (although a little heavy on weird stuff like souse and blood pudding that I'd never seen made before). Around then, one of the grocery stores offered a 12-volume set of the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery and WOW, did my culinary adventures shift into high gear! We'd have a dinner of dishes from Denmark, followed by English jam tarts the next week. I was fortunate to have a roommate for my first college apartment who knew how to cook just about anything. While our classmates were eating ramen noodles and hot dogs, we were having tasty meals on the same budget. We also used to prepare venison and other game dinners for hunters at a set price per head, which was our first commercial cooking venture. So that's my youthful culinary history. Cooking has always seemed to be interwoven with other activities in my life but rarely played a major role in it....See MoreWhere were You Married?
Comments (49)I think a good addition to this discussion is how my parents got married. It was August 3,1935. The impact of the Depression was still felt and so couples delayed getting married for financial reasons. My parents' crowd of friends included 4 unmarried couples and one married couple. They were all in their 30s and even early 40s. My mother was a preacher's daughter, but her father could not perform the ceremony in those days as my father was (Chicago Irish)Catholic. So everyone wanted to elope. They put together a caravan and traipsed all over central Illinois that day to each other's weddings. Dad had a friend who was a priest in Toluca, Illinois, so that was where they were married. Then they all went off for their honeymoons....See MoreHow Old Were You When You........?
Comments (31)I was almost 17, but didn't think it was a date at first. A close friend worked for the Rec Dept as a summer job. His cousins were a well-known singing group, and he knew they would be playing in town. Diana Ross was going to be on the show too. He got the tickets from work, and one day after summer school class he asked if anyone wanted them. There was a group jumping up and down screaming to get the tickets, and he picked me. I told him that I would give him the money the next day. That's when he told me that I was going as his date - WOW, was I shocked. My mom took me shopping for a new dress and shoes and all the other accessories. I was pretty shy, and heavier than everyone else. She was so sweet to try to make me feel like the other girls that were going. I'll never forget that concert - open-air amphitheatre, and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" has just come out. That was my first boyfriend - we dated for a little over 6 mos. We remained friends for a while and would hang out every once in a while. After I have been dating my soon-to-be-hubby (now, ex) for only a few weeks, my friend had taken me to go car shopping. When we got back to my house, my "hubby" was there waiting to take me out. To this day (a couple of decades later),even after being divorced, "hubby" can't get over that - even though it was something very innocent. Unfortunately, my friend passed away about 12 years later from a massive heart attack. I found out at the HS 10 year reunion. When it was announced, everyone in the room turned around to see my expression. They knew we were always close - he was very well liked by everyone. Oh well, enough of my story. Short answer - almost 17....See Morewere you happier when you were younger
Comments (22)Can't say. I had always been a happy, healthy, optimistic person, married to a happy, healthy, optimistic man. We worked hard, saved what we could, put our six happy, well-adjusted kids through college, loved each other, enjoyed life as we went through it while looking forward to the future. Three years ago, on the brink of retirement in our early 60s, we were each diagnosed with cancer within seven weeks of each other, and we were both expected to have died by now. Neither of us has died. While we were convalescing, hub's company abruptly changed the retirement plan, leaving us broke. I have watched my sunny husband become sad and worried almost beyond his ability to cope. I am helpless to change anything about our situation and it is breaking my heart to watch his heart break over what we hoped would be. Hub has had one life-threatening illness after another these last three years, but no return of cancer. No matter how optimistic or happy or healthy and careful you have been your entire life, sometimes life throws bombs at your head and it's hard to keep your chin up. Health and money. If you've got those...... Sherry...See More- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years agoMarilyn Sue thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
Related Stories

FUN HOUZZSurvey Says: We’re Scared of Being Home Alone — and Spiders
A new Houzz survey reveals that most of us get spooked in an empty house. Find out what’s causing the heebie-jeebies
Full Story
GUESTHOUSESHouzz Tour: This Guesthouse’s Former Residents Were Horses
A new insulated exterior for a Vermont carriage barn preserves its rustic interior
Full Story
KITCHEN OF THE WEEKKitchen of the Week: Marrying Past and Present in Los Angeles
Something old, something new and all the rest make for a happy kitchen union in a tony L.A. neighborhood
Full Story
TRADITIONAL ARCHITECTUREModern Marries Traditional in a Chicago 'Shotgun' Home
Empty nesters enjoy a house that blends gable roofs and oak paneling with stainless steel, open spaces and bright interiors
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPSBuilding Permits: When a Permit Is Required and When It's Not
In this article, the first in a series exploring permit processes and requirements, learn why and when you might need one
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Spacious New Home Marries Classic and Contemporary Design
In Houston, large rooms with high ceilings are decorated with custom furnishings in a neutral palette
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: 'When We Buy It, It's Forever'
This family is picky about what fills their vintage-chic Netherlands apartment, and the strategy works beautifully
Full Story
MOST POPULARHouzz Tour: A Playful Home Drawn Up by 8-Year-Old Twins
Plans for this innovative tower home in Melbourne were going nowhere — until the homeowners’ twins came to the rescue
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGAnother Independence Day: When Kids Can Do Their Laundry
Set yourself free and give your child a valuable life skill at the same time
Full Story
LIFEWhen a Household Divides — How to Reinvent Your Home Style
Consider starting over an opportunity to discover yourself anew. Here, some insight to help you create a freshly inspiring home
Full Story
marilyn_c