SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Dining lacks something. What would you change?

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have asked a related question about window treatments in our dining room. I know those windows need some change but I am also not sure what else might contribute to the "blah" feel of this dining right now. It is a roughly 11 x 11 ft room (small), with 8 ft ceilings and hardwoods o the floor.

What do you think should be added or removed? Please feel free to be as critical as you wish - I would welcome any ideas and opinions. I already have some much needed changes in mind but it will be interesting to see if other people see the same thing.

The only thing I will NOT change in this room is the oriental, hand-made wool rug from my grandmother.

Everything else is game. :-)

Thank you so much,

Comments (1.2K)

• northpoint2
    7 years ago

Your MIL is 90 and still watches your kids? Nice!!!

• Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My kids are old enough to not have baby-type needs (9 and 11) but still young enough where we can't just take off and leave them at home by themselves; but yes...my MIL can easily sit with them. Often times her other son comes to visit and the two of them just sit with the kids and we get to get away. :-)

She lives by herself, cooks, drives, sits on the floor with the kids and gets up in a second...quite amazing. And her mind is sharper than a Wusthof.

No health issues of any kind at 90 - quite blessed.

In fact, she contracted pneumonia about 2 years ago and at 88, pneumonia doesn't exactly take you too far. Well, she shook it off like a 20 year old.

So yeap - nice. I can only dream I will be that lucky.

• Related Discussions

What would you change? (PICS)

Q

Comments (59)
    If you could find a higher console, you would not need two bookcases because the TV and console would become one unit, and the TV would not float over it like it did with the low console. My thought of the two bookcases were of them butted together under the TV or under the TV with the wall cabinet... I see now two bookcases flanking the TV will not work because of the space. You are right, spread out like that is a lot of furniture of roughly the same height. I don't think I explained that well-sorry! At least you are getting closer to solving the TV wall,and you are. Take inventory and see if you have anything that could be borrowed from another room and re-worked for that spot. I often do that including wall prints. If you can find a piece to anchor the TV, and add some decor on each side you will have succeeded in creating a focal point that you can live with now and build off later! Men and their TV's ugh! You'll get there! Sarsclos had a great idea of a shelf over the tv. Maybe you could toy with that and a higher console. Thinking outside the box here...distressed shutters on each side, shelf over the top to bridge it into one? Maybe I better get to bed :) I definitely think your on the right track by anchoring the TV. I'll keep thinking! 79.99 129.99 179.99 299.99 These all came from JC PENNEYS and but they could be re=painted for the price!
    ...See More

Would you change who you are, for someone not willing to change?

Q

Comments (23)
    Well, I would consider trying to change things about myself to a certain extent. I agree with what some of the other posters said. To maintain a healthy, long term relationship with someone, change is often necessary-change in behavior in certain areas as somebody said. And many people try to improve themselves in life anyway. But I would not try to change my basic character or personality. And the part of the sentence that says "for someone not willing to change" is a huge red flag to me. I wouldn't try to change myself ONLY to hang on to someone that was not willing to change or improve himself.
    ...See More

Would you change the wall color in my dining room and kitchen?

Q

Comments (31)
    You are all so wonderful! I'm kind of having a bad day, and coming here to 28 responses made my day!! :) Some background I should have included: I am having reconstructive surgery on my knee next week. I tore my ACL skiing this winter...the only trip my husband and I have had together for about 8 years, and look what happens. Oh well! But for the past month, I've been in total cleaning and re-decorating mode. I know i'm going to not be able to do a lot of things for a few months, and so I'm trying to get things done now. Every spring brings lots of projects inside and out, and I'm trying to get done now what I can. Plus, I'm addicted to HGTV, and watching it every day will definitely make you want to get working! By the way, I've had lots of help. I'm able to do a lot by myself, but I don't push it. :) Those light fixtures are from Rejuvenation and were pretty expensive (for me! I saved for all three!), so I don't think it's anything I could replace just yet. I had a chandelier here when I moved in, and I just felt like my house wasn't big enough for one. My house is really small. Well, maybe 1500 square feet with a finished basement, but it's a common 20's foursquare. I have no entryway, for example. Just a big front porch and a door that opens straight into my living room. I will consider moving the table sideways - thanks! And the pics of my babies, I will consider that, too. I will find a pic of the rug and post it tonight. Why I got a dark-colored area rug with two kids is beyond me! :) But it's pretty. Hopefully, this fall, I'll be able to return to part-time work and have some extra cash for accessories. I love this room, but I just felt like something was missing. Granite would be awesome, in my dreams! I never thought I'd forget the details of my kitchen remodel, but I have! I will try to remember the name of my laminate. It really was a good choice, I think. Lots of people think it's something other than laminate, and it's held up pretty well. Some scratches, but nothing major. Here are some more pics of the kitchen until I can get more of the rug. Thanks for making me feel like my kitchen isn't outdated yet! I would love interior shutters on this window. As you can see, I have a lovely view of the AC unit next door. :)
    ...See More

If you had to teach something, what would you teach?

Q

Comments (40)
    Sue VA, that must have been the most rewarding experience of your life. Your response gave me the biggest goosebumps. I was thinking about it and I would love to teach at a center for underpriveleged folks how to get a job. Teach them to bring their own pen (I have watched SO many people fill out job aps and have to ask for a pen or pencil), to dress in a suit whether they were going for the president of McDonalds or a fry cook at McDonalds, and how to shake hands and look people in the eye. Giving people pride in themselves is where I want to take the people I teach. In high school I was involved in a program called Eco-Act and we went in small groups weekly to grade schools and taught 4-5th graders ecology. It was really great, I met a lot of the kids later in life and they told me they still remember a lot of the activities and many are very active composters. It is cool to know you made a difference in someone's life.
    ...See More
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ordered the hooks - so I am all set. We'll see how good I will be about tying up the tie-backs. :-)

• User
    7 years ago

Your MIL sounds awesome.....you are very lucky

Original Author
    7 years ago

Well...I have the drapes. Overall, they seem fine. The stitching at the top (the thread) is a bit visible where it's cut which makes the " make" look a bit clumsy/amateurish; but it's not a big deal.

In the picture, the color had looked like a brighter gold - in reality it's bit on the dull side...almost like a very light brown-gold.

I took the drapes to the dry cleaner today for pressing/steaming but they charge 25 dollars per panel and I just don't want to pay 100 dollars total just for that.

So I guess I will have to attempt the pressing myself. They have quite a bit of wrinkles and lines from the packaging.

Should I press it all flat and then train the folds? The pleats are quite far apart and right now I don't see much fold at all...but hopefully they will fall in place once hung and trained.

I am moderately satisfied but I did not get the same whoa as I got from the chandy.

Then again I don't think I can compare (it's apples with oranges) because after all, what can beat some high grade crystal in the "whoa" category? :-)))

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Post photo so we can assess how you can proceed. I am concerned about the color not being bright gold. I am concerned. Those creases could be very hard to remove. I don't want you to "accept" these if they don't do the job. I don't know if you can return for "poor quality" reasons? Any reasons? I wouldn't keep something that doesn't meet color or look requirements?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

If you can't return, then we will work with you to "make them work". Sometimes getting "weights" (long strings of heavy metal beads that you slip into the hem at the bottom) for the bottom hem helps drapery "hang out". Sometimes hanging them up, and pulling the drapery into the folds you want, then taping them together with lengths of paper toweling and some tape (no tape on drapes themselves) and then steaming them with hand held steamer, then let them sit for a couple of days, helps get things looking right. Wrap at the upper portion, center and bottom, so everything is like you want it. I would try that first before I ironed them. Of course, if the color isn't right, I would pressure heavily for a return, even if it is for a credit.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Flo,

Color is OK - I would definitely not return. These were made to order, too much hassle - and they are actually fine.

I was just hoping that the gold would be a bit more "luscious".

Then again, when I showed everyone the color of the drapes I used to have in the dining (now in our bedroom), most said it did not work, that it looked more like actual yellow - and that I needed gold.

That was indeed a brighter gold...but anyway, I will try to hang them this evening and take a picture for all of you to see.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

OK, hate that you have to work so hard on them. Bummer, but that is the way it is, so we shall overcome! :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo,

I am not sure steaming only would do with these drapes. The duppioni silk material seems rather stiff and the panels have been quite wrinkled in all the wrong places by the packaging. They seem to beg for some pressing ...and once that is done, I can start working on the folds.

What do you think?

Never mind that I discovered I do not have enough rings; so I need to to order some more. Trouble is I don't think they will get here by Saturday when we will have some guests over. :-(

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Some things don't work well! Well if you think they need steam pressing, try on the reverse side of the fabric because silk is sensitive. Maybe you can get fast delivery on the rings? I know it will cost more, but your time is valuable as well. Hope things work out.

• User
    7 years ago
    Have you ever tried for steaming them at the dry cleaners and Cristina S I've always wanted to ask you how come you never put back up your gold curtains
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Claire - she posted a few posts ago that the cleaners wanted too much to steam them. She also posted the old curtains and they didn't look good at all. Scroll up and you will see those posts if you wish.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Dear all,

Here are my updates:

I ordered the extra rings and I hope they will make it by Saturday (for guests and Easter lunch the next day). I can only hope because I didn't rush them.

I started by pressing one panel (on the back!) because it looked quite bad non-pressed. Steaming wasn't going to do a thing to this rather stiff duppioni silk.

Is duppioni silk supposed to have this kind of stiffer body or could this be a lesser quality duppioni and the high end ones are soft?

Between you and I (but please don't laugh at my lack of refined taste) ...I think I really love the way synthetic curtains drape; no wrin

But anyway - I pressed a panel and now it looks much closer to what I saw in the picture.

As you can see below, I already placed the first panel in training.

I may have squeezed the folds too much together, this is why the panel looks so skinny; but when it's open it is wide enough - especially when I will add the second panel per window.

In the meantime, I will be working on the other three panels - inserting hooks and pressing. But I won't be able to hang the 4th until I get my extra rings.

Length is just a tiny smidge shorter than I would have preferred; maybe a few extra mm-s would have been better for a bolder kiss to the floor - but I guess a shy kiss will do. :-)

The gold color is a bit paler than what I have in the carpet; but I was going to find the perfect match at the perfect price - and I think too matchy is not that great anyway.

So I guess I am good.

What do you guys think?

I am yet to figure out how to tie those tie-backs but that will be the next step, after I get my decorative hooks.

PS: I relaxed the folds a bit because I think I was training them too tight.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Claire,

I would have left the old curtains in place but the biggest trouble was they were too short. I would have had to lengthen them with some artifices and they would have looked "patched up".

The consensus of the present Counsel was that it wasn't worth it. :-)

Plus I kind of wanted pinch pleat - they look elegant.

I got these custom made for 400$ so I think I did OK considering all custom quotes I got were around 1000 $ and NOT with duppioni silk but some synthetic/natural combo.

Original Author
    7 years ago

So I think I am heading towards the grand finale of this amazing project (and becoming wistful in the process :-) ); but then I realized I can't quite call it "Mission Accomplished" because the room is still missing the large, prominent artwork. It will get be there some day hopefully soon - but this is not something I can address right away.

But then I realized I never posted a picture here of the wall opposite the mirror where the artwork would go. You could see a bit of it in the mirror but not all of it.

So there it is:

As you can see, it is large, super-empty and it's begging for something. In addition, I have been thinking about placing there a long and skinny console table mainly for practical purposes. When I have guests I often don't have enough space on the table to place all the food, particularly when I combine "sit down" with some buffet style serving; but even when I don't do buffet...the table is often too small to hold all plates with appetizers. I place some on the buffet I already have but I still find myself needing extra room for various thins, including drinks to keep handy, etc.

I really wish I could have another helping table ...so my question is: do you think I could stick one against theh empty wall or would this crowd the room too much. As a reminder, this is an 11 X 11 dining...so tight and cozy. :-)

I did think about placing a console table against the mirror but it would be too close to the table there and would block the traffic area. Even the skinniest possible would kind of block the passage.

And I can't move the table more towards the empty wall because then the chandy would no longer be centered over the table.

So if any at all, a console table would have to go against the currently empty wall. More space there:

If you think this would crowd the room too much...should I get instead one of those server tables that fold and are only in use when needed?

while I am working on the other panels, any advice in this area would be much appreciated.

It will take me a few days to finish the panels but now I am against the clock for Saturday. :)

Thank you all so much!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    The reason I suggested paper toweling with tape for "training" the drapes is because with thin ties they will leave imprints. But I am very happy with the color. I know what a job pressing these are so do it a bit at a time. But it is going to be great. No more furniture in dining room. You can use your buffet top when needed. You just tuck away the items you have on it and protect the surface. I keep seeing that large crocheted piece you had on the table early in this process. I could see it in a shadow box with navy blue velvet backing. That has such meaning. And the creamy/White against your walls would look gorgeous. I have to find picks for you. Have a wonderful Easter with your family!
  • User
    7 years ago

You went with the sconce gold instead of the sunrise gold textured curtains

Original Author
    7 years ago

Nope. It was the sunrise - that's what I ordered.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo,

What is paper toweling?

What about shadow box? :-)

Perhaps you are right...I should maybe start thinking about framing the crocheted piece while I am waiting for the investment oil painting of my life. :))

But where should I start with that?...Whatever frame it is though, it would have to be quite large to do justice to that wall.

• mick50
    7 years ago

I love the color of your drapes. Your finished room will be elegantly beautiful! Congratulations. Happy Easter!

• User
    7 years ago

It's a nice curtain...having the buffet table at the empty wall is a nice idea it's more open.....Happy Passover and Happy Easter to all

• mick50
    7 years ago

P.S. I don't think you want the drapes to hang in tight folds. Relax those ties!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

What you do is take lengths of paper towel and fold them longwise and make them wrap around the folded drapery in a snug but not real tight position. Then scotch tape or blue painters tape will hold that in place in 4 or 5 places down the drapery. That makes for a "soft look" with no "marks" from the thin type ties. If you have smaller pieces of the crocheted pieces, like doilies, you could shadow box frame 3 of those and that would make a easier project and nice affect on that wall.

Lake Sherwood · More Info
    Or you could put blue and white plates on the wall across from the mirror too. Have any of those? Or other nice plates? A group of 3-5 would do the trick. Get the really thin nail type hangers so you don't hardly put a hole in the wall. these work really well.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Remove the 3 wire candle holders from the buffet. They are too modern for your look. Move the silverware box to another room for now. Then when your family is here, move the blue and white coffee pot and tray and lemons to the buffet and put a lovely fresh spring flower arrangement in the center of the table, keeping it relatively low for conversation purposes. Remove the lemons and put Easter eggs on the tray instead. Get gold place mats for your table and gold or white linen napkins and napkin rings. It will look lovely, whether you put anything on you "blank" wall or not because most will be looking into the mirror and around the beautiful room and at the chandelier and place settings. Set a beautiful table and food and fun will prevail! Cheers!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Claire,

I am afraid my buffet is too short/narrow for the empty wall.

If anything, that one would ask for a long, skinny console table.

The buffet fits just right on the smaller wall that includes the kitchen entry, I think.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Flo! Will be back tomorrow with some more questions and comments to your recent post.

Night everyone! :-)

• Tricia Woodworth
    7 years ago
    Cristina,
    I hope you are not disappointed in any way with your drapes. I think the color is beautiful and I love the texture ( I know absolutely NOTHING about drapes-- Flo's your gal! ) And I agree with Flo--no more furniture:)! One of those cool mid-century rolling bar carts might be a practical solution for serving your guests in a classy, gracious manner... and then rolling it the heck outta there! As for your artwork "dilemmas", I was cruising through past posts and looking at some of your heirloom pieces. The still life in the gold gilded frame (?) or painted directly onto gilded wood ( I can't tell from the photos ) should not be altered in any way, in my opinion. It's magnificent! It's glowing gold looks wonderful on the deep blue walls--but you are right. It is a petite piece. But grouping it with another piece might diminish its beauty. I would find a small wall to honor it. I built my entire, awkwardly large entry around 2 small gilded icons from ancient churches I found in Dubrovnik years ago.
    What are the dimensions of the "art wall" you are saving? I think you should find one piece that will carry that whole wall ( rather than a grouping ). It is worth the wait to find something you absolutely fall in love with! I think your instincts to go with rich, warm colors in a piece of showcase artwork are right on. I would suggest however, that you don't go too bright. See if you can find a piece with the colors in your rug that is maybe sort of Impressionist in its style, with soft transitions between the beautiful colors you love and the subject matter being soft and perhaps from nature. Oops sorry...getting carried away!!
  • izeve
    7 years ago

I think the new drapes are beautiful - very elegant and sophisticated. The soft gold color is perfect because it doesn't compete with the other elements of the room. This way, the rug and the chandelier are the stars!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Tricia is an amazing artist, so her advice is really great. No sense in putting "holes" in that wall until you find that perfect piece. Going to be a great holiday weekend!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo,

Thank you for explaining the paper toweling method. I will do that instead.

I didn't quite understand how the shadow box works though; also, I happen not to be a big fan of the look with several smaller plates on the wall...but I think I would love the crochetted piece framed against a dark blue background.

I wonder where I could go to do a good job with this...or you think this is something I may be able to do myself?

Tricia,

I am actually not disappointed with the drapes - once pressed and hung right, they start bringing out the elegant look I was going for in the first place. The color in fact echoes almost exactly that of the mirror frame. So it's nice.

Your entryway with the icons from Dubrovnik sounds quite amazing!

You were so close to where I go home every two years or so! :-))

I agree with a large piece on the empty wall (not several) and deep rich colors but not too yelly-bright!

That's exactly what I have in mind. I love the antique, patina look because it goes so well with everything I have in the living.

I will have to measure and report the dimensions of the wall when I get home (I am in my office right now but I am typing this and getting out of here because I already stayed longer than I'd planned for today !)

In any case...a few weeks ago I visited an art gallery in the area and found a few pieces that i would have LOVED to have in the dining...but...a-hem...let's just say I am not quite ready yet to invest in an art piece at THAT price level.

http://www.fineallarts.com/henry-asencio-c-1_285.html?page=2&sort=20a

Love this artist and the colors he is using...but I am not sure I would want to place the portrait/silhouette of any woman in the dining other than my grandmother's. :-)

By the way, Tricia...I wonder if you could advise on what might be the best way for me to investigate the possibility of having a portrait of my grandmother's commissioned - based on a picture...?...

Something I have been meaning to do for a long time...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I would take the piece you want to feature to Hobby Lobby (when they have their 50% off sale), and ask them if they could do this for you. It would be pricey. I have been thinking about how you might do it, and I am a bit afraid it would be too big for your wall. I think you should "live" with your room, go home and see what you find, and then go from there. Don't fret over it.

• Tricia Woodworth
    7 years ago

Thank Flo! That's very kind of you to say about my art!

Cristina, I checked out the link you posted... your instincts are absolutely correct. Some of those paintings are lovely, but in general I recommend nudes/semi-nudes ( even though I think the human body is the most beautiful form in creation) are best placed in bedrooms and/or baths. I actually don't think I would put portraiture of any kind in a dining room. However, the idea of a portrait of your grandmother your dining room ( with her clothes on lol) might be really moving because you have built this room in her honor. Unfortunately, I only know one artist personally who does commissioned portraiture--and I couldn't recommend her style to you. And I wouldn't make your grandmother's portrait very large and not your "showcase piece" on your saved wall.

• northpoint2
    7 years ago

Ah, Cristina! I love the drapery fabric, especially the way they "whisper rather than shout"...understated glamour! Your rug and chandelier are the stars. :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for your recent comments.

I am kind of going against the clock now, with guests tomorrow evening and Sunday - and I was wondering if anyone would have a good link for how to install tie-back hooks. I am afraid not to make a mistake and mess up the pretty Van Deusen wall. What is the point where they should be installed? Any rules I should keep in mind?

I can't place them on the wood window frame anywhere - I tried to hold them there but the place doesn't feel right. Right outside the frame, on the wall seems like the best place to me. '

The frames are too narrow, same are the windows... would I like to create an illusion of slightly wider windows by slightly extending the panels outwards instead of keeping them inwards.

I will post some pics later with some mocks - so you can tell me where any problems lie. Thanks so much!

Any tip is appreciated.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

OK, you will need to place the hook just inside the outer edge of the drape as it hangs so you can have the drape hang nicely down straight along the sides. There is no magic to tying these. Think of it as a shoe lace kind of. Except without the bow. You can't make a tricky looped look because the cord aren't long enough. All you are going to do is decide which side (outer edge or leading edge of drape) you want the tassels on. Generally, I prefer the leading edge (inside edge) because they show up more. So, you wrap the cord around the drape and simply tie a kind of loose knot at the leading edge. Then you take pull the non-tassel side and loop it over the hook. Then you pull the leading edge out and blouse it to the shape you want. To know where to put the hook you do this same operation and then put the hook high enough to where the tie will drape downward in a nice angle. I will look and see if my drapery book has a sketch for this. bb in a minute.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Here is a picture that might help.

drapery · More Info
    Notice that the drapery blouses out a bit and the that is about about 4-5" above the bottom of the window pane. The "hook" is up on the side 4-5" above where the tassels would hang. You just loop the tassels into a little knot and let them hang down. You can make it as tight or as loose as you want. Does this help?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

drapery · More Info
    Here is another photo with tassels. you will have just one length of cord not two as shown here, but it give you an example of how the tassels look on the inside (leading) edge of the drapery. Hope I'm not too late. I was installing a bigger monitor and I wasn't on line for a while! Good luck.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Dear all,

After a very busy week-end - with some guests on Saturday evening and the family Easter Sunday today...I am coming back with what -at least for now - is supposed to be the final result.

Here are the before, the afters and the everafters (with tiaras on top LOL)

...and the Easter table for a bonus (pre-food)

Flo, Tricia, izeve, northpoint, claire, Susan, jani, Beth..and so many other kind posters...I had a blast and you have been amazing.

It also happens that all the fun and joy I had here were able to provide some desperately needed distraction, at least on the surface, from an incredibly trying time I have had over the past half a year (which I have never mentioned before).

I cannot put it in words how much your interest, kindness and guidance through this process have meant to me during this time.

Something must have gone right because now, every time I look at it,
    which is many times a day, I can't' get over how good this room looks.

Thank you all SO, SO MUCH! I wish I could have you all for a tea party in this tiny room. :-)

Warmest regards!

Cristina

PS: My 11 yo son (who normally could not care less about room decor) approached me today to tell me that he LOVES the color of our dining. :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

what a beautiful table you set for Easter! what did your guests think of the new color? It really turned out very well. you should be proud!

• Tricia Woodworth
    7 years ago

I'm so happy that I was able to be a part of blessing you and bringing some joy into your life, Cristina. You are such a lovely, sweet and gracious person. I am still wanting to help you out with your "showcase" piece of artwork. My mentor is working on a piece right now that is exactly the colors you love. She is an accomplished artist and actually quite well known here on the west coast.

Anyway-- if you are interested in seeing photos of this piece ( still in progress ) you can email me at triciawoodworth@comcast.net.

Blessings,

tricia

p.s. The next blog I have written for my website is a very lighthearted story about my twins when they were little‍!

• Edie Strom
    7 years ago
    Christina, the room is beautiful! And the Easter table is so lovely. This ha been about the very best redo I followed on HOUZZ. Excellent job Flo and what a trooper Christine.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Oh my goodness! The drapes look fantastic and the ties are wonderful! Just right! And the reflection of the drapes in the mirror is quite stunning! Your table for Easter was beautiful and I just feel so blessed to have been a part of this journey with you. I feel like you are a life long friend!! And I guess you are! So happy we have helped you bridge through life challenges and I know that you are a strong, loving, wonderful person, so I wish you the very best. But I think I will be suffering from "withdrawal" if you don't start another project!! The art wall?? The living room!? Please, don't leave us! Well, life goes on. I also hope your summer travels are safe and create many wonderful memories for the whole family. Thanks a million!

Flo

P.S. Remember, you have to start at the latest July on any other projects to be done by Thanksgiving! lol

• northpoint2
    7 years ago

I LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for this post, I've learned a lot and gained an appreciation for a style that is not the same as my own. You did an amazing job!!!

• jani
    7 years ago

What an awesome post, story and journey through a transformation! You definitely have mimicked my own dilemmas in design, decor and color!

Loved hearing from Flo and others on the finer points of color, style, placement, etc (I have made notes for my own dining room that hopefully will get started soon) .

In the end, what matters most is that you love it and you surely do! It's wonderful that this provided a need distraction..we all need to have that happy feeling walking into a room. Wishing you many joys!

• northpoint2
    7 years ago

jani76, you need to start your post soon so we can cope with our withdrawal symptoms, ha! ;)

• jani
    7 years ago

Soon as I get ok from hubby...I'm ready. We just finished the kitchen/living room. Well, almost; waiting on the hardware. Will post this week!

I've posted a few premature pics on another post of the in progress. Now the adjoining room needs a makeover, right!

I think I put my family and friends through lots of trauma, but I needed help. In the end, I couldn't be happier.

• outshopping422
    7 years ago

Cristina your dining room looks ABSOLUTELY STUNNING !!!! You should be very proud :) i will miss following your thread. I want to give you a hint on keeping your Swarovski crystals sparkling ....I use windex wipes twice a year (before Mother's Day and Thangsgiving) it's a little tedious but works great :)

• izeve
    7 years ago

The room looks beautiful!!! The drapes are just right and I love the tiebacks.

Great job, Cristina! Enjoy!

• User
    7 years ago

Your room is stunning even your table scape looks gorgeous may you have many joyful gathering ins your Dining room.