SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

What would you change? (PICS)

anele_gw
16 years ago

It's not done, but here are pics of my living room. What changes would make the most improvements? I'm on a super limited budget so I need to make my $ go a looong way.

What I'm changing . . .

(1) Adding milk glass lamps (one on bookshelf to replace stained glass lamp, one on fireplace)

(2) Painting the TV console white and adding some vintage details

(3) Hiding the TV cords

(4) Adding some artwork near the fireplace

(Moving the TV is not an option. I either get a divorce and move the TV, or stay married to my sweet DH. He's flexible on everything else, but not that!)

I apologize for so many pics. My room is tiny so it's hard to find a spot to stand that will capture everything.

Here is how my room was originally:

And now:

I just got this mirror. Should it stay?

Thank you!!!

Comments (59)

• budge1
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looking at your room the 1st 2 things that popped into my mind were

1. Paint the cabinet black

2. Floor to ceiling drapes on both the windows.

I'd treat that little window the same as the bigger one with a rod just below the ceiling moulding and drapes to the floor. You could probably find cheap but nice drapery panels and rods at places like Linen's N Things.

I'd also do something substantial on the fireplace. Either rest a large rectangular canvas art piece on it or a really oversized vase - something almost as tall as the fireplace itself.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mitch- aw, no rug? It was my attempt at making the fireplace look cozy :) .

sweet, as you can see there is no style in that room. I am in the process of changing it over to a vintage look. I do not like the heaviness that is currently there-- the dark wood in the curio, dark lamps, dark furniture. On my "to do" list is to eventually (when time and money allow) slipcover the sofas in white (and they'd have a skirt, something with a kick pleat). I also want to replace the coffee table with something white and curvy. That is why we got a white fireplace-- to go with the future look vs. fitting in with what is currently there. That is also my reason for wanting to paint the console white, to create the lightness at least on that wall. I am not sure that it would look right, though, since the TV is a big black blob. Maybe black (at least just there) would be better.

teedup-- I have been thinking about curtains for awhile. I don't know how it would look to have a rod OVER the blind moulding, though. What do you think? We couldn't get an interior mount for the blinds. I was thinking I could at least put a valance that hung down to the middle on either side . . .then you wouldn't see just a rod. I agree about the mirror. Too ornate. Do you think oval would work? I thought about a lamp near the sofa (not on the fireplace) but didn't know if it would look too crowded. I agree-- plants are needed. They'll have to be fake (I have cats).

moonshadows-- cool! It makes the TV blend in more to have it black.

emagineer, do you have any examples of what you're referring to w/the FP? I need to look up some RL pics!

bungalow, I could try that. I might get a 2nd bookcase (matching) if that works, and leave one near the TV.

budge, yes, I will investigate curtains. The original owners had short curtains by the small window-- I did not like that. It would look OK with long ones there? Wish I had not picked those blinds! I have some artwk on its way for the FP.

I tried taking more pics in the day, but we have no sun now! The wall color is truer in the nighttime pictures.

Thank you all so much!!!!

• Related Discussions

What would you change if you rebuilt your town house or house

Q

Comments (5)
    I am generally pretty happy with how our house turned out. It is about 3550 sq ft traditionally styled house. The only thing that I am kicking myself about now is the fact that while the house is perfect for the four of us, and could very easily handle another child (or 2!) I stupidly didn't plan for the fact that we had promised our dd a dog when she turned 10. Just didn't think about it in the design process, stupid, stupid, stupid. We do have a nice mudroom/laundry room near the back door with cubbies, lockers, sink, closet...it is perfectly designed for the 4 of us. It is NOT perfectly designed to accomodate a large dog crate and assorted dog paraphernalia. We are actually going to get a smaller breed than I really want due to this. We "could" expand the room...but who wants to take that on after just finishing their dream home? Plus, it would involve additional foundation and square footage as we cant rob from the adjoining room or garage. We'll make it work, but it is annoying that it could have been perfectly designed from the get-go. Sigh...
    ...See More

What would you change about this layout?

Q

Comments (19)
    Dunno if you want another pair. These are variations of your plan with bonus expenses. For traffic reasons, I'd more the doorway to the dining room up by the cleanup area and I'd for sure move the door to the backyard - either by cutting a new door at the edge of the family room or replacing a window with a door in either the family room or dining room. Sometimes I don't think more cabinets = more capability to cook efficiently. I'm not so sure that making the kitchen a lot bigger is a good answer here. So this shows two variations of the dining room wall and the stair wall and the island. By closing off the existing door to the dining room and replacing the exterior door with a window, you could use a round table in the nook area (with or without a banquette). The island can be longer than it was. The blue markings show a 12" (could be 14") deep pantry on the dining room wall, the oven slides over, the island becomes a little shorter than the gray version and I moved the cooktop onto the stair wall - giving you an island that only has a prep sink on it. The gray version has a very long island, shown with cook top and prep sink. Unfortunately, that comes combined with less defined pantry space. But you get a really long back counter that could have every countertop appliance ever made. On both versions, the stair wall cabinet run is a little shorter and ends in a tall cabinet that faces the family room - meant either for decorative items (tall, open cabinet about 30" long and wall cabinet depth - glass doors and lights) books (30" open cabinet, no doors, wall depth) or storage of child foods (30" closed cabinet) with cereal, snacks, etc. Aside from flattening the cleanup run, I took the wall cabinet off between the sink and family room - shelves holding everyday dishes would be much lighter visually and leave the cleanup person connected to family room activity. The remaining wall cabinet is a little deeper than normal (13-15" deep) to accommodate glassware and service dishes that you may want out of sight.
    ...See More

What do you think of my changes so far? New pics

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank you, all! I have no style when it comes to decorating, so your comments make me feel better about the room. My next task is to tackle window treatments (ugh, that's gonna be a hard one), pillows and lamps etc. Great idea using books to raise the plant, gail618. I've received such great advice on here. Any other suggestions would be great.
    ...See More

What would you change on my floor plan?

Q

Comments (32)
    First the best houses have windows on at least two walls in all public rooms and in the bedrooms to allow for natural light and cross breezes on the days you do open the windows. This house doesn't have that. The two story foyer is useless space and all it does is make sound travel up. Downstairs, you come out of the mudroom, look down the hall and what is your view? A powder room bathroom. If someone in Office B needs to use the bathroom, that's quite a convoluted trek to get to the powder room. You climb the stairs and your view is a wall. Not very inviting. Big dysfunctional kitchen with the island acting as a barrier between sink and fridge. Panty on the outside wall blocking what could be light from two directions in the kitchen. Master bath upstairs is a mess. That toilet room will feel claustrophobic with those angled walls. (Angled walls in most cases are the first clue that a person doesn't know how to design) Did you even notice the window in the master suite isn't centered in the room? How will you get linens out of the angled linen closet? Why does a master bath need two doors to get into it? Don't put a kid in suite 4 unless you want to traumatize them for life. A better arrangement would have been to flip the bathroom/master so the bathroom is on the left, the closets in the middle and the master bedroom on the right with windows on two walls. Again showing this was not designed by an architect. Lots of useless space in suite 3 with the hallway into the room and the space in front of the too small WIC. How will you vent the washer/dryer upstairs? Where is a coat closet in the "grand foyer"? And why is there that useless hallway to the office on the left from the grand foyer? More wasted space. If you want to build a custom house, then find a talented architect to design you a custom house. There is NOTHING custom about this house. Choosing tile, flooring, paint colors and door knobs does not make it custom. It's still a tract house even if it's higher priced.
    ...See More
  • sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Sorry -- I'm late to this game. I would get rid of that little bookcase next to the TV console -- looks like a nightstand to me. I think your fireplace needs a cabinet above to the ceiling -- make this your bookcase -- to give it more presence in the room. Agree you need some floor length panels on both windows, or at least some nice shutters instead of the miniblinds. The curio cabinet looks out of place.

Paint the coffee table to match the console.
    It is a pretty yellow on the walls, but it's a bit too bright. Tone it down a shade or two, maybe something a bit more buttery instead of egg yolk, and the walls will stop competing with the furniture.

Put the rug on a diagonal.

The lamps don't seem to fit with the style of the furniture.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Anele: Drapery rods have front-to-back extensions too.

Adjust them far enough forward (away from the wall) so that the inside edges of your fabric panels just barely cover and graze the outside side edges of your wood blind's top rail and slats. I think that will work and look fine.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Me again -- forgot to mention one other thing. That room needs art. Those two little oval things are just not doing anything for the room.

As for making the TV less obtrusive -- what about making a shabby chic (since you're going that direction anyway) frame for the TV -- make it look like art on the wall instead of a shrine to football? You could get some of the inexpensive mdf primed mouldings they have at HD or Lowes. Make a frame out of 2X4 or 2X6 (slightly thicker than the TV), then add the mitered mouldings to the face and sides of the frame. Paint and distress to your heart's content. Hang the frame around the TV. TV is gone; now you have wall art. Maybe use a distress gild or silver leaf over the paint for the frame.

• kats
    16 years ago

I absolutely LOVE your wall color. It's wonderful with your couches.
    I like the idea of painting the console black. That's a great idea. I don't think I would do long drapes because it's a small room already. But a valance or, a sheer looped over the top of the window might work.
    I keep imagining what this room would feel like if you had 6 people in it which is the amount of seating you have. Being a small room that's a lot. Unless you need that much seating I would de-furniture the room. You could start by removing that little seat/stand (?) by the fireplace and remove the bookcase. If you like to read you could put a few books on the table or on the console. Again, if you don't need seating you might think about taking out the rocker. The dark color to me gets lost in the vibrance of your walls. I know you don't want to spend much but you might also think about a cloth ottoman with a wood tray or even two small square ottomans stools instead of your coffee table. The ottoman stool I've linked below sells for $79.99. It would work for those times when you might need more seating but help to open the room up for everyday.

Here is a link that might be useful: cloth ottoman stool

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

RE: the bookcase. It is going to stay in the room. It's new, and the reason we got it was because that wall looked REALLY bare without it. Without it, it looked like the only reason to be in that room was to watch TV. Also, I have 3 girls. My oldest (just 6) is an avid reader. My other little ones are "reading" way more now that the bookcase is there. I can't have it high up, because that defeats the purpose for my girls. We have bookcases in other rooms, too (inc. the dining room), but I find that the more, the better. Aesthetics lose in this case! And from my POV, I actually like how it looks in there. It is OK to me if it looks like a nightstand, since I wanted something that looked re-purposed anyway.

sarschlos, I am thinking of painting that curio white. I have no idea what else would work in that corner. Like I said before, I do have more art coming, so the walls won't be quite as bare. The oval things are needlepoints that tie in my colors. I might add a little picture there from the '40s to balance it more. I like your frame idea. It would take away from the starkness of the TV.

teedup, I like that idea. Thank you.

kats, yes, there is a lot of furniture. That thing by the FP is a drum. Not staying, but there for now since the space is so bare. We do need seating-- there are five of us in the family, and when we have any sort of party/company over, people like to sit. It's also a good place to read. Believe it or not, this house held 4 grown boys and their parents before we moved in! So, it is a small house, but I need it to be functional. The cloth ottoman is a great idea, but with 3 kids 6 and under (and a DH who likes his Pepsi on the table!) I don't think it would be practical. We don't have a formal living room-- this is it. We do have a little family room, but it is a playroom. Maybe I could put an ottoman by the FP?

Thank you, thank you again, all, for these wonderful comments and ideas. It is so helpful!!!

• ronniroo
    16 years ago

If you really want to keep the white idea for the cabinet, what about painting the inset parts of the door the wall color to break up the white a little bit? Then if you made the frame for the TV, you could paint it white and you'd have a white frame on the TV and white "frames" on the doors of your console so they'd relate to each other without being all dark.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

If you're going to keep the little bookcase (trust me -- I know about kids and books; we have baskets of books in every room of the house), it needs a new location. What about next to one of the sofas, so that it serves the purpose of an end table?

When you're painting everything white, be careful not to do it all shiny and new looking or it's going to be very stark. I still think the wall color is too bright -- and I'm saying this from experience, having toned down a yellow room to a buttery color (with lots of red accents, too).

Art and displays are best in odd numbers. The eye likes to see things in "3s." Adding a third oval piece to your wall display might help.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ronniroo- very interesting idea! Maybe some sort of two-toned console would be best.

sarschlos, this is how that wall looked pre-bookcase. It was like this for 2 years and always seemed very cold to me:

The only other place is right by the sofa by the door, with the back against the sofa. But it wouldn't work with the lamp there (no room). I could put a lamp on top-- this would be cute if this were the 2nd bookcase in there and I got matching lamps. Hmm . ..

What kind of white would you suggest? There are just so many out there! I think you are right about that third piece-- I'll look for something to complete it. Instead of just toning down the gold, do you think there is a better color to tie it all in? The sofa isn't red (it's more of a burgandy/maroon), so I worry a butter yellow wouldn't be strong enough or worse, would clash. My long term plan is to change the sofa color anyway, though.

• sweets98
    16 years ago

Ah! Now that you say you're looking to go to a vintage or shabby chich style, I get why you want to paint it white. I thought you were trying to make the things you had in your room currently work better. If you're changing the total style, it helps to know that!

In that case, paint things white! :)

• teacats
    16 years ago

Could you flip the loveseat to the other side of the room -- where the single chair is sitting now? Perhaps add short bookcase(s) (depending on size) behind the loveseat to act like a "sofa table"?

Switch the chair to the loveseat's former position.

I would paint the TV cabinet black -- that would truly balance out the visual weight of the TV and the fireplace opening. Consider painting the coffee table at the same time ..... in future times -- all of the black furniture items would work with black-and-white toile pillows on your future white slipcovered sofas.

Move the big rug just under the front feet of the sofa and the loveseat to "anchor" the seating area.

Finding just the right items above the fireplace is tricky -- but try out items like those two small artworks on each wall PLUS a small black-painted box filled with faux greenery on the fireplace itself.

To go with your future "vintage-style" decor -- look for black-painted tole items -- like lamps or trays. Very vintage -- and would work with your area rug AND the furture white-slipcovered sofas.

Jan

• teacats
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention that I would get two black bookcases (I love seeing bookshelves and books in a family room!!) -- tall ones -- for each side of the black-painted entertainment center. Fill these with books and decorative items.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

anele -- I understand completely about the wall color. The reason I keep harping on it (sorry!) is that I did something very similar and eventually it bugged me until I went with something more buttery because the WALLS were dominating the room, and the furnishings just kept getting lost. When the paint was going up, I worried it wouldn't be enough color, but once it was done, everything looked so much better.

Here's a picture of my former family room. This is an after picture when I had toned down the gold. ,a href=http://www.anotherwebboy.com/gallery2/v/album_010/PICT1183.JPG.html>Butter yellow walls; Butter yellow walls in natural light

Sorry - I don't seem to have any pictures with the room with the original gold yellow walls up anymore. I can check when I get home tonight.

One thing to consider -- you said you're planning to slip cover the sofas, so don't try to design around those burgundy sofas. I think the color is a bit too saturated/rich to pull off the airy warm comfort of a shabby chic room with painted/white furniture. But, maybe that's just my idea of shabby chic. It's your room and if you love the color, by all means, keep it! :-)

I think your TV wall needs personality, but that bookcase doesn't help with that. Much better as an end table. If you're going to go shabby chic, you will want a different style end table on the other side of the sofa -- don't match the bookcase. Shabby chic doesn't look right with a lot fo matching pieces. Go for a small round pedestal table. What about a wrought iron table? I found a very cute round iron table with a tile top (was supposed to be a garden table) at Ross or TJ Maxx, I forget which, for $10. Made a great little end table perfect for a reading lamp. I wouldn't match the lamps either. Target has great lamps and because they sell the lamp bases and shades separately, you can mix and match very nicely without having a "set."

As for the console wall -- I think that console, no matter what color, will continue to defeat your attempts to create a warm shabby chic room because the low, long profile has a distinct mid-century/contemporary feel. Better would be to repurpose an old dresser and take the console (not the TV) out of the room.

If you don't have a dresser you could swap out, I suggest you do a little surfing and see what you come up with. I have had excellent luck finding old, and inexpensive pieces in very good condition on ebay and craigslist. Garage sales are also very economical ways to locate furniture that will have a better "shabby chic" profile.

For the coffee table -- I would suggest a coffee table with basket storage underneath. Improve storage for your DDs' toys and books, the TV remote, magazines, etc., while giving a really nice shabby chic touch. Ikea has a nice wood coffee table with six slots for baskets. It's a wood tone table, but can be painted. Paint the table and distress it; leave the baskets natural. Oooh.

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

A couple of questions - can you move the loveseat to where the chair is now, or would that block all of the walkway into the room? And, how tall is the fireplace?

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Is all this ripping apart really being helpful to OP? I think not. This is not your room, nor mine.

OP asked for some suggestions that would give the most bang for minimal new bucks, right now...not a wholesale makeover.

This room looks fine and comfortably serves the family's purpose. OP should not need to defend her every possesion or find it necesary to explain to US why or why not OUR suggestions may or may not work.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

anele -- I apologize if you think I am "ripping" your room apart. I thought you asked for assistance to help you come up with inexpensive ways to create a shabby chic room. To me, a can or two of paint, a repurposed dresser, TJ Max garden furniture, and a little ikea and elbow grease would go a long way to reaching that goal with minimal expense. Silver and gold leafing kits at Michaels and mdf moldings from Lowes/HD also are inexpensive but fun projects. I certainly meant absolutely no offense, and I apologize if you were offended.

One other idea that is inexpensive, easy and can be done to great shabby chic effect (your DDs might also have fun helping) -- at Lowes and HD, you can get small round wooden table tops and dowel legs. Also there are inexpensive little tables at ikea, Target and Wal-Mart that would do the trick for the second side table. Then go to a used bookstore and buy a couple of books of French or Italian poetry/novels. Get decopage glue and antiquing glaze, and a small quart of poly. Paint the little table legs in white; Use the antiquing glaze on the legs to give a bit of a worn appearance. Tear out pages/pieces of the poetry books and decopage them to the table top. Use the antiquing glaze on the top once the decopage is dry. Apply a couple coats of poly (use a low sheen) to protect the decopage -- now you have a cute shabby chic side table that you can set drinks on without worrying about the finish.

This technique also works really well on the unfinished frames you can get at craft stores.

I will of course stop thinking up ideas for your room if I'm totally off-base. Again, I meant absolutely no offense. Just trying to help.

• brede
    16 years ago

I think you will have a lot of conflicting advice, mainly because what you currently own (and the look it inspires) is very different from what you are shooting for.

Your current furniture, artwork and lighting will very easily lend itself to a more streamlined, clean look. I hesitate to call it modern, but it's definitely not the more cottagey look you are shooting for.

If you are definitely wanting a 'cottage style' interior, then I would forget on a coherent look for now, and just acquire the individual pieces as you can afford them. Replace your lighting, substitute an older dresser or buffet under your TV, slipcover your couches, replace your chair, etc. Eventually, you will find your chosen style emerging. For the cottage look, I think your little bookcase and mirror will work quite well.

It might be easier though, to try for something more 'in the middle' of the two. Perhaps more of a Pottery Barn type of interior?

Anyway, good luck! I know what it's like trying to redecorate with a limited budget! :0)

BTW, I've included a link to a little blog that I sometimes read (I don't know the person, just like her blog!). The owner has a definite vintage/cottagey feel to her house, but a lot of her stuff is more modern. Scroll through, there's a lot of pictures (she has young children, too). Perhaps it might give you some ideas; I know I always work better with visuals.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sparrow's Nest

• brede
    16 years ago

~sigh~

As soon as you provide a link to a site that you definitely remember having a lot of home decorating pictures, that's when the pictures suddenly seem impossible to find! LOL

If you click on Categories on the link I gave, you can find the pictures the easiest. They're scattered, so give 'em all a chance!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Couple more quick ones.

Here's white and yellow:

And a lame rendition of a white frame around the TV:

And because I'm getting really punchy:

• never_ending
    16 years ago

Anele- Is this anything you would consider? The yellow, the white, windows, a bit of toile?

• borngrace
    16 years ago

How about throwing some king size sheets over the burgany sofas just to block out that color and let you "see" what direction the room will ultimately head into -- you don't have to leave them there -- I'm just trying to trick you eyes -- and then take a picture and post it here.

Also if you are going for shappy chic or cottage I feel like you need some big floral pillows mixed in with some plaid and a cordinating small print -- how about one of those partical board tablees you screw the legs into and top with a pretty round cloth??

does that help?

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks the natural wood color of the TV console is nice? I don't think it needs painting.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

It does have a pretty wood grain, but anele said in her first post that she's changing (painting) it.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am sure you are all sick of this thread! Before you stop reading, 2 more pleas for help:
    (1) I need suggestions for what to put on the wall where the TV is (it is a small room, so not too much space to work with)
    (2) Several people have suggested moving the curio-- what would you suggest instead?

sweets98-- my ideal would be to change things over, but I go back and forth. It seems overwhelming!

teacats, the problem with moving the loveseat is that it really interferes with traffic flow. I've tried it before. It's nice because it makes the space cozy, but just not practical. It really is a small room, and the space behind the chair is our main (but small) pathway into the house, the living room, dining room, and another hallway. So, the loveseat just creates too much blockage. Love the idea of the black/white toile. Love the idea of tall bookcases flanking the TV, but I think it would block the fireplace unless they were super narrow. It's just not a long wall, unfortunately.

sarchlos, I like your wall. It is very soothing. I can see how toning down the yellow would be good, but I also like its cheeriness, esp. when we have these day in, day out gloomy days outside. I won't keep the gold forever, but changing it would mean changing a lot else at this point because our dining room is connected to the LR. It is definitely an idea I will continue playing with.

You said my wall with the TV lacks personality. The bookshelf (with a mirror, when I get the right one) is going to be my little seasonal decor station eventually-- a place I'll accessorize. What would you suggest instead? I have been looking at that wall for 2 years now and the bookcase, mirror, and fireplace were my best and only ideas. What else would you suggest?

I am confused about your suggestion to put a dresser as a console. I thought you did not like the fact that the bookcase looked like a nightstand-- wouldn't that give the room an even greater "bedroom" feel?

happyladi, I like the grain as-is, too. It just seems to go with nothing else in my room!

justnotmartha, no-- moving the loveseat would block the flow, unfortunately. The fireplace is 40 inches tall.

teedup-- I do truly appreciate the positive comments from people on this thread regarding the current decor. It is a little tough to read only criticism because before this thread, I admit I thought I had some sense of style. Now I am not so sure! It is easier to swallow the "x is all wrong" when I hear a little "but you got y right." But, oh well . . .I guess it comes with the territory when I open the floor for opinions.

sarchlos, I do appreciate the tips. Now if only I could find the time to tackle some of those projects!

brede, yes, I agree. It is far removed from cottage. I was hoping it was at least starting to look vintage, maybe a sort of grandma's house meets a lounge from the 30s and 40s, LOL! That blog is great!

moonshadow-- very cool!!! I especially like the last one! My cat has never been so stylish!

neverending-- that is a lovely room! That is definitely something I could have.

borngrace, I did try that today! It got mixed reviews from my kids. The white almost looked too stark. Offwhite looked OK. I can't envision what kinds of florals would go with my rug. I worry they'd compete. ANy ideas?

THANK YOU all so much for your input. I am more confused than ever, but in a good way. Such a luxurious "problem" to have. I am home all day with my kids, so I like to enjoy our house . . .and sometimes I need something else to think about besides mothering!

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

Anele, to respond you your question about the wall I worry that adding anything more to the right (if facing) of the TV will block the fireplace too much and not leave it with the inviting look I believe you want. But, I agree that it needs something. Perhaps some tall and somewhat thin art to flank the TV? I don't think the floor needs anything more, you just need more spice on the walls. I like your bookcase and totally understand the need to have them low and kid friendly, but it just seems out of place right next to the TV stand. I think I would put the bookcase where the curio is on the wall with the love seat. Or, you could try it in the corner to mirror the fireplace, but it might be too small.

I would love to see something fun on the fireplace, but not a lamp. Some height in back would be great!

• whenicit
    16 years ago

I think the lowest budget way to make the room be put together is to *not* go with the cottage style. The warm wood blinds, the style & color of your sofa, the rug, the current console...they speak more 'pottery barn' to me.

TV walls are hard.

I like the white bookcase between the sofa & loveseat. This could be the 'reading corner' area and you could still put a mirror or art over the bookcase. The white will balance the fireplace.

Do not hang the clock above the TV. To me it looks like you are trying to make the TV into art and it is a TV, no disguising it.

If you can move the curio out of there, I would. But, you are right in the fact you need some tall things in there. Could you get a tall black ladder bookcase?

I think an ottoman by the TV could work, maybe a storage ottoman that doubles as a 'drop zone' for guests coats, etc. when they come in the front door? Or, maybe not?

Can't wait to see it when the art is hung. That should make a huge difference. Please post what you end up doing.

• never_ending
    16 years ago

Anele=

I love the color of your room, I love the color of your sofa's, the warmth of your wood floors and I love the idea of adding vintage to your decor. Already you have the makings for a wonderful living area. You sound like a very cheerful mom who wants a happy, comfortable, stylish house that reflects her and her love of her family.

What I see is the need to add a bit of weight and height to your room. I do agree with the suggestions of floor to ceiling curtains, they will add height and a solidity to your room, and toile would look fab!

The TV needs something higher to anchor it, and the console seems too low, do you have anything as high as the bottom of the Tv? I think that is where the suggestion of the dresser would fit in. Maybe something older and more vintage? If not, try placing the bookshelf temporarily under TV just to see if that gives you more weight instead of having TV float in midair,( the TV is attached to the wall right?)

The fireplace is another area that needs to draw the eye up. A temporary suggestion is to place/set the mirror on fireplace -add some candles, baskets, a couple books etc. just to get a feel of what this will add. Go for visual impact, maybe bigger than you would normally do. If these work out you can keep your eyes open for more permanent fixtures in the future. Meanwhile could you place your changing seasonal display's here? Once you get a feel for where your anchors need to be you can then see what you'll have left for wall space and for art.

Lastly for fun try angling your area rug between the couch and loveseat on a diagonal to see if it opens your room up more. I could also see some nice needlepoint pillows on those couches!

I don't know if any of these ideas will work out but they may give you a new perspective on what pieces you will need to keep your eyes open for. Thriftshops, and Craiglist are fabulous places for adding layers to your home. Also try those sheets on each side of your window, just to get a feel. I worry that adding too much white will end up draining your room of all it's vitality and personality. Small rooms need some big pieces and design touches, otherwise little light things end up lost in a room and instead of looking bigger and airier they can end up nondescript and ho-hum. You have too many great bones in your room to let that happen!

• noodlesportland
    16 years ago

I do not know if anyone suggested this but I could see white wood shutters on the high windows. Not on the big one. You could just leave them closed but angled for light.
    It looks like a warm lovely home for three little girls!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

justnotmartha: tips make sense to me!

neverending: thank you, thank you! Your post helped me clarify a lot of what was brought up. Very helpful!!!!

noodlesport-- shutters would look cute!

Thank you all so much. You've brought up things I never would have thought of!

Here's my long-term game plan:
    -move bookcase to where curio is (maybe try mirror here, add a lamp)
    -remove curio
    -remove tall lighting
    -add little end table to side of couch near door, add a lamp there
    -add long curtains to BOTH windows (brilliant! never thought of this!), probably in black toile (I think this will look luxurious-- would not have thought of this)
    -look for things with height and greenery for fireplace; "someday" raise it
    -get either a taller unit for under the TV (preferably vintage) or a medium height armoire (this is too $ for me now-- someday!)
    -longer art, maybe some ottomans for wall with TV
    -leave sofas as-is
    -put rug on diagonal (going to try this today!)
    -add floor lamp between the fireplace/sofa

Now I know what I'm looking for when I bargain hunt. I never would have thought of these things without the input here. I truly appreciate all of your comments!

-

• never_ending
    16 years ago

Anele-

You are very gracious and positive. I think the changes you suggested will make a positive impact on your room. You never know, keep your eyes open -often "pieces" pop up unexpectedly, sometimes finding a piece that has the weight and height you need comes in odd packages, but knowing it fits the space allows you to see it re- painted, stained or distressed immediately. Keep us in the loop!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are so kind, never ending!

I was playing around w/Paint Shop today (with my very limited skills) and nothing was working on that stupid TV wall. I finally realized that-- sad to say-- NOTHING will with that TV there, not even an armoire. That wall is meant for a sofa/seating with some beautiful art over it, soft lighting on each side.

I'm really starting to hate that TV and all it symbolizes.

Interesting how decorating leads to so much more. :(

• never_ending
    16 years ago

Don't lose heart, we all have TV's and eyesores we HAVE to decorate around.

Is the TV attatched to the wall?

• never_ending
    16 years ago

Thinking about your TV again. Not sure what your budget is... Any chance that bookcase has an affordable brother or sister? You could flank your present console with a bookase on each side to anchor your wall, perhaps paint them all a soft creamy white or black. Maybe run out this weekend try to find 4 coordinating prints at least 8x10's (preferrably bigger) with good looking distinctive frames. Over each book case pair off your prints vertically too add some height visually to the TV wall. Put books in the bookcases, add some plants, a few decorative touches and you may have your own custom media center to tide you over and get your creative juices flowing again. Imagine this picture but with your bookcases and console.

{{gwi:1585026}}

or this

Your bookcases wouldn't be as high but the pictures would pull your eye up just the same.

just thoughts...

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Adding to never_ending's idea -- you could put a wall shelf horizontally over the TV and add some decorative items -- acting almost like an entertainment center bridge shelf.

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

decorate around? I had to buy a house house around a stinkin' TV!! :-)

Don't lose faith. It's a challenge, not a road block!

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Is it possible to put the tv under the small window and the loveseat where the chair is? Get rid of the chair and use the small bookcase as an endtable.
    I think with this arrangement you would be able to enjoy the fireplace alot more.
    White curtains would be nice too. Have fun with it!!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are all so kind, seriously!

never ending-- it's hard to imagine that when I see those lovely pictures here!!! And yes, it's bolted. Needs to be for our little ones.

I love the idea of a pair of bookcases. I think it might look too crowded. I had a spare 5 minutes so I put together some pics with my super limited Paint Shop skills-- pardon the poor quality of my work!

and just for fun I did this one, even though DH is not willing to move the TV (I put in Monet because that is what DH likes, hoping to inspire him):

justnotmartha, that will be my new mantra. And what is it with those TVs??? 2 minutes into watching a show and I forget what size TV I'm watching, whether it is HD, etc. I could care less!

mlraff, no, unfortunately. The space is just too small! I tried moving furniture around today and the only ways it makes sense is as-is or to move the TV to a corner (where the curio is) and the big sofa to the TV wall, but even then . . .a much smaller TV would be better in the corner, and that is NOT going to happen with my DH.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to inspire me, everyone!!!!!

• never_ending
    16 years ago

Anele-

Last thought before I let you rest and get started on your toile curtains.

How bout something like this?

{{gwi:1585030}}

Here is a link that might be useful: tv cab

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought about something like that-- what do you think of it in the room?

• never_ending
    16 years ago

Looking at that picture, I would still consider putting two of those book cases under the TV to add some weight and anchor it, making it more of a solid custom furniture piece. I do like it and I could see it working, especially with that top ledge available for some greenery and frames.

The only thing really wrong with that darn console is it is too short! No dressers, trunks or chests just begging to come to the Living room are there?

Could you photoshop two of those cases under the wall cabinet, just to get a look see?

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found this just to get a feel of the mix of vintage and height:

and here it is with 2 low bookcases:

I think you are right-- those bookcases do anchor it more (even though it is a lot of furniture by the fireplace, I think it's worth it) and the height of the console makes a huge difference. That's what I couldn't "see" without the help from you here!

Do you think it looks weird with all the furniture being different heights? It's the bookcases, thing under TV, and FP all on the one wall . . .

• never_ending
    16 years ago

If you could find a higher console, you would not need two bookcases because the TV and console would become one unit, and the TV would not float over it like it did with the low console. My thought of the two bookcases were of them butted together under the TV or under the TV with the wall cabinet... I see now two bookcases flanking the TV will not work because of the space. You are right, spread out like that is a lot of furniture of roughly the same height. I don't think I explained that well-sorry!

At least you are getting closer to solving the TV wall,and you are. Take inventory and see if you have anything that could be borrowed from another room and re-worked for that spot. I often do that including wall prints. If you can find a piece to anchor the TV, and add some decor on each side you will have succeeded in creating a focal point that you can live with now and build off later!

Men and their TV's ugh! You'll get there! Sarsclos had a great idea of a shelf over the tv. Maybe you could toy with that and a higher console. Thinking outside the box here...distressed shutters on each side, shelf over the top to bridge it into one? Maybe I better get to bed :)

I definitely think your on the right track by anchoring the TV. I'll keep thinking!

{{gwi:1585036}}

{{gwi:1585038}}
    {{gwi:1585040}}
    {{gwi:1585041}}
    These all came from JC PENNEYS and but they could be re=painted for the price!

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I love the idea of the black and white toile longer curtains?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I like the long dresser. You should check consignment shops for something like that. We were able to find a six piece bedroom set that included a dresser just like that, two nightstands, a single chest of drawers with an upper bookcase, and a mirror for $300 (and that's in OC, Cal, too). This shape of furniture was very popular for girls' bedroom sets in the 1970s, early 1980s, and you might just find something you can afford that will provide you with a lot of different options.

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

I must be the only woman here who embraces her new TV (LOL). I debated about mounting or not. For now, I have left it on the buffet console. I think you need some height at both ends of the tv stand and of course a higher console would help. And forget framing the TV - it is what it is - a TV. Framing it won't hide it - it would just draw more attention to it. Good luck.
    Here's my beloved TV:

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

never ending-- yes! I think the ideas brought up here if HEIGHT, not color (I was on the wrong track) will be the key to this solution.

lynn- yes! The toile or lace are my two things I am considering. I think I'll get samples of each to try before I buy!

sarschlos: The long dresser would be cool, and I have seen some neat and very reasonable pieces on CL. My only issue is that we have to put the DVD player, DVR, etc. in there . . . so maybe I'd have to go with something like a buffet console (something with doors). I'm thinking one from the 30s. I've seen those on CL, and sometimes a good deal pops up.

yvette, THANK YOU for that pic. It is inspirational. I think if I can get DH to raise the TV a bit and get the right console plus artwork, it will no longer be an eyesore. Your wall looks good.

Thanks again, everyone. It is so amazing to have your input-- I never would have thought of these things. I have just been stuck!!!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

A long buffet would work nicely. The old art deco ones tend to have good sized side cabinets. (Remember the buffet that Monica had her TV on in Friends?) Ebay and CL are great sources! I have a long buffet from the 1940s that I scored off of ebay for cheap, cheap. But the PO was selling it as part of an entire dining room set. Well the rest of the set was junk, but the buffet was worth the price. I recycled the table and chairs. :) The moral of that story is to search other categories, too, not just buffet or console. :-) Good luck and happy hunting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Buffet

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Man, I found an awesome armoire-- for $50!!!! I wrote to the guy (CL) but unfortunately, it has two separate compartments inside that he says should not be messed with or it will ruin the piece. Too bad because without that, it would have been amazing:

{{gwi:1585045}}
    {{gwi:1585046}}

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

That armoire looks very skinny. I would be concerned that your components won't fit. It also looks (dare I say) too tall? You want the TV to be at a comfortable viewing height.