SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onlywhnchasd

Would you give up your laundry room to add a half bath?

onlywhnchasd
7 years ago

We are preparing to build an addition on our house and as I'm sure a lot of people are; we are trying to pack a ton of functionality into a relatively small space. I thought I was all set and settled with the floor plan, but now I'm rethinking things, which is dangerous.

One of the goals with the addition was to get the laundry out of the basement and create a real entry area with a coat closet. Right now you enter into the kitchen and we just have some hooks for coats and a bench for shoe storage. For the addition, you would enter into a sort of breezeway area that will connect the main addition (which is a family room and eventual in-law suite) with the existing house. The entry space is about 10x4 with an alcove to the right for a coat closet, and straight ahead an archway/pass-through to about a 10x10 dining area. To the right past the coat closet will be the pass-though into the main house (this is currently the entrance door to the kitchen). To the left will be a hallway and the door to the laundry room. And here begins my dilemma...

The existing house is a cape cod style with two bedrooms down and two up. The kids bedrooms are downstairs along a hallway off the kitchen, and there is a full bath across the hall. This is the only bath on the main level. I am wondering if I should consider sacrificing my laundry room in order to add a half bath off the addition. In order to do this and still get the laundry out of the basement, I would have to place the washer/dryer in what was supposed the coat closet by the new entrance. This would put it adjacent to the kitchen (good), but also near the new dining area (bad), and of course it would be just a laundry closet and not a full room. If I placed a half bath in the back portion of what was supposed to be the laundry room, I could create a small mudroom at the front portion, that could maybe take the place of the coat closet. There would not be room for hangers, just hooks and a small bench. Similar to what we have now only in a dedicated room and with a bit more space.

I'm trying to decide if giving up a laundry room is worth it in order to have a half bath that is accessible without having to walk through the main house, and would allow the kids the privacy of not having to share their bathroom or have people back by their bedrooms. Also, wondering if it would then be weird to have the laundry closet so near the dining room. It would be in the entryway, but there is literally just an archway that separates the entry from the dining room. This is an informal country farmhouse, so I'm not worried about making it "fancy," but I don't want to do anything weird either!

If you've read all this and have feedback, it would be much appreciated!

Comments (19)