SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

Glam laundry room versus laundry/bath, which would you choose?

michoumonster
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone, we are planning to remodel our home. We currently have an upstairs laundry room. It is a huge room. We can turn it into a glam laundry room, or we can turn it into a second kid's bath plus laundry area.

Currently the kids' bath is a shared bath that is small and narrow. Would it add value to the house to have an additional bath, or hurt value if we got rid of the laundry room?

we can also put laundry in the mudroom on the main floor, but this would not be very spacious, more like a stacking unit kind of setup.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject! thank you!!

Comments (31)

• hemina
    5 years ago
    Can you convert the larger space to the shared bath and then remodel the small, narrow bath to a laundry room?
    michoumonster thanked hemina
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

You said you can turn your huge laundry room into a bath and laundry room so you wouldn't actually be losing a laundry room.

michoumonster thanked mamapinky0
  • Related Discussions

If you had a laundry room...what would be its decor theme?

Q

Comments (59)
    I have laundry closets, one on the bottom floor and one on the top. The top is a stackable so there's no room for decor. I wish I'd have made that room just a tad bigger so I didn't have to keep laundry soap in the adjoining bathroom (it's in a huge glass container though and everyone thinks I dropped a fortune on bath salts to fill it heh heh). If I ever have a real room dedicated to laundry I'd do antique butlers pantry as my look. Painted cabinets, marble counters, laundry machines hidden behind cabinets, beautiful lighting, a huge fold and storge area....heaven in the laundry....and I'd like a full time maid to stand there and deal with the laundry as well...as long as we're dreaming! My lower closet is in our family room. I painted the walls in a soft cream and the cabinets in a color called patince (a very soft yellow). It has my giraffe door handles for access, and the doors are painted in metalic chalkboard.
    ...See More

How to transition hardwood to baths & laundry room.

Q

Comments (3)
    Put in one that works for now. It's not that big a deal to add a threshold (marble or wood) when you get around to tiling.
    ...See More

Main Floor Laundry Room vs. Full Bath

Q

Comments (31)
    "Seniors don't want just a first floor bedroom suite, they want a one floor *house*. Why maintain and pay taxes on a house with stairs to a second floor that may get occasional use? There are some good reasons for having bed and bath on a first floor in a family home, but don't fool yourself that this transforms a family home into one good for Seniors." ^^ This. That being said, it doesn't sound like that is the issue with the OP, first house and all. Honestly, of the two options, I'm not sure which I would choose - I don't like either of them. I think the practical and best choice for resale would be laundry on the second floor with the bedroom/full bath on the first. Maybe you can put a sink in the garage if you envision needing a clean-up area? I toured a home one time that had the laundry in the garage right off the entrance to the house - I realized it wasn't a bad idea (the garage was heated) and for me was preferable to the basement, because, let's face it, as you get older schlepping down basement stairs to do laundry is just as bad as schlepping up to second floor stairs. All the area needed was some drywall to enclose it and it would have been a terrific mud room right off the house. (I wanted to bid on this particular house, but that is another story).
    ...See More

Oddball bath/laundry room shape - what would you do?

Q

Comments (23)
    jslazart - one reason is we would lose the existing (valuable if small) storage space at the end of the shower (it's not in the sketch, but it's counter height, maybe 15 inches deep, as wide as the shower) - unless we got a really small bathtub. (that shower space actually once had a tub/shower but it was pulled out before my time). our purpose is to add a good bathtub upstairs and bring the washer/dryer up from the basement (exterior access only) without breaking the bank. on another note, i'm interested in people's takes on oval tubs (no jets needed!) - is it worth the extra space needed?
    ...See More
  • elleewa
    5 years ago

I would take a good sized bathroom over big laundry any day. But I NEVER do anything other than toss clothes in to the washer/dryer in the laundry room, I drag it to my room and do all the folding/hanging. I wish my laundry room was next to a bathroom so I could give the extra space to that!

michoumonster thanked elleewa
  • P Banos
    5 years ago

I would far rather have a laundry and bath. And a laundry on the same floor as bedrooms is convenient. How many bedrooms share the bath? People love bathrooms - my brother is trying to sell his house and one of the most frequent negative comments is that there are 3 bedrooms that share one bath.

michoumonster thanked P Banos
  • michoumonster
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hemina, thanks for the suggestion! I could convert the smaller bath to a dedicated laundry, but am hesitant to remodel two spaces versus just remodeling the one laundry room to make it a combo. And I was thinking it would be nice for each kid to have their own bath.. but i might do that if a combo room would adversely affect resale.

mamapinky0, the issue is if people consider it bad to do a combination laundry and bath as opposed to having a dedicated laundry room? some people think it might be unpleasant to fold clothes in a bath, for instance.

tatts, thanks for your input! i guess i have been looking on houzz too much, lol. I see so many pics of gorgeous dedicated huge laundry rooms on here -- that in my book is "glam".

elleewa, thanks, i am leaning towards doing the combo too. i prefer to fold clothes in the bedrooms too.

P Banos, thanks that is very helpful to know! right now there are two kids' rooms plus the guest room sharing one bath. Then the master has its own bath. so it seems to make sense to add another bath.

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    I like the idea of making it a bathroom. Maybe you can put the washer and dryer behind folding doors in that room, so you don’t see them when they’re not being used.
    michoumonster thanked baileysr
  • Geneviève
    5 years ago

My point of view is to have both , I like a big laundry room not only to have the machines and tub but also my ironing board and sewing kit and a chair to sit and make minor repairs like replacing a missing button . An extra bathroom is always a plus especially if there are many people living in a house, therefore if you have the space and the money to have the best of both its all a gain not a waste , when things look good we feel good .

michoumonster thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

What exactly is "a huge room" Post a drawing of the space. Include the windows, doors, etc and all dimensions.. What good is any idea with no PLAN : ) or idea as to how it could function and look good? Glam is not size dependent, either. That said, there could be possibility for all the options, but who knows with no dimensions? Everything comes down to inches, Everything. Mud rooms too.

michoumonster thanked JAN MOYER
  • User
    5 years ago

If the room is as big as you say, you can have both. Not a combo. Combos are icky unless it’s a second laundry serving a master.

michoumonster thanked User
  • elleewa
    5 years ago

I think I assumed you meant dividing the spaces. I was too busy dreaming of another bathroom - ha! I would post a layout here. If you have that much space, even a laundry room "closet" might be more practical than IN the bathroom. Bathrooms really don't have to be huge either. Vanity, sink, tub. We have the typical hall baths at about 5x10. What are the dimensions of your laundry room? My laundry room is long and narrow. I'd assume have a reach in laundry closet because it's barely wide enough to open the washer/dryer doors and walk by to more narrow dead space.

michoumonster thanked elleewa
  • pricklypearcactus
    5 years ago

While I wouldn't need / want a "glam" laundry room, I have wanted a large laundry room for a while. I prefer to hang-dry almost all of my laundry and that takes some floor space. I also would love to have a large sink to hand wash laundry. But I also don't have kids so a second kids bath wouldn't do anything for me. You might ask a realtor if you want to know what would be best for re-sale.

michoumonster thanked pricklypearcactus
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Off-topic: pricklypearcactus have you tried accordion type wall mounted drying racks. They save a ton of space and hold way more clothes, especially when you're drying pants. I found some great jumbo sized plastic clothespins that are big enough to go over the rungs, so rather than draping the clothes over I can pin them on and fit even more clothes on each rack! You could hang it above your utility sink.

michoumonster thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

OP, my feeling is that I need a dedicated laundry room that is big enough for my washer and dryer to be side by side, plus some storage and a sink. A 9x12 room handles that for me with no problem. The absolute smallest I would go is 6x10 but that would feel like a sacrifice.

michoumonster thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

If you have a bath and laundry combo, you can always invest in a second (strong) tension shower curtain rod that you can hang over the center of the tub as a temporary clothes rack as needed. Then move the extra tension rod back against the wall when not in use.

michoumonster thanked suezbell
  • RaiKai
    5 years ago

What do you consider a “huge” laundry room?

An extra bath can be great if there is a use for it, but I know for our new house we intentionally put in a 10x11 laundry room upstairs by the bedrooms (we did hookups for stackables on main floor in mud room too).

Right now we don’t have room in our basement laundry room to fold and I hate that all the dirty and clean laundry gathers in our bedroom or elsewhere before it can be dealt with (folded, etc). Not sure it will be “glam” but it will be functional! Sink & extra lower cabinet, room for drying rack, folding table, and to add additional cupboards for linens, cleaning supplies, etc, and my husbands sewing machine & table. And that is for two of us. If you have kids and more laundry needs a decent sized laundry can be even more useful.

But...if you have three or four kids using one bath, another bathroom may be a priceless addition, especially as they get older.

michoumonster thanked RaiKai
  • enduring
    5 years ago

I have a combo bath and laundry. I designed it and have been very very happy with it. I live in a small house, and having the laundry on the main floor has been so helpful as I plan on DH and I aging in place. I don't have a second floor. I do have a basement and now I have 2 sets of stacked s/d down there, so I am w/d rich. @Mamap has seen my setup posted before.

Here is the floor layout:

The room is 8x about 10".

Elevation with the Miele stacked w/d set on the left and the 3x5" shower alcove on the right:

Here are some real life shots:

Other side of the 8' wide room:

and the toilet to the right of the vanity:

Its an unusual bathroom, because I have 2 doors into the room. The original remodel for 1975 was laid out that way and I kept it, except I lengthen the room from 5' to almost 10 feet. One door, next to the toilet enters into a hallway. The other door enters into a bedroom. The bedroom is where I took the extra room from to make this room larger. It is now about the size, minus a few inches from the original floor plan from the 20's. The bedroom is still large enough for a dysfunctional placement of a queen bed, but it was like that even before I took the extra footage, because the rooms are only 8' deep. But the bedroom would nicely hold a hospital bed if ever that was needed. The shower has a 2" lip to get over the threshold so a shower chair or wheel chair could easily navigate that height. My shower doors are French doors so they both open fully out so lots of room.

Maybe more information than you wanted, but I am happy to share the success I've had with a bathroom and laundry room combo.

I take a shower tension rod, like someone mentioned above, and span a doorway in the hall to hang drying clothes on. It is great. For folding, I either pull out the ironing board to fold on, or pull out the tray that is in between the washer and dryer stack. I also have some counter space on my 5' long vanity with one sink.

michoumonster thanked enduring
  • User
    5 years ago

Styled At Home: <<Do you make it a habit to go on here and spew your venom?!?>>

What venom? The very idea of a "glam laundry room" is humorous, and I suspect the OP meant it to be. It seems to me you're a wee bit cranky. Have a drink.

michoumonster thanked User
  • michoumonster
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone, I guess "huge" laundry room should be rephrased as "huge-to-me" laundry, lol. Here is my layout. My laundry is about 8 feet by 12 feet. It feels really large to me since I don't utilize any of the space other than two clothes sorting bins and the machines. There is a large storage/attic next to the laundry that I could access also, but the ceilings are lowered to only about 20" high towards the exterior wall of it. I would love suggestions on how to squeak in a bath in this space.

enduring, thank you for sharing your laundry bath combo. I am glad to hear it works for you! I will study your layout and pictures carefully. thank you!

• PRO
    Styled At Home
    5 years ago
    Yes I was cranky because I dealt with that troll elsewhere and Yes I did have a drink!!
    michoumonster thanked Styled At Home
  • PRO
    Styled At Home
    5 years ago
    Matter of fact I never come on this forum so To answer your question I do not make it a habit!
    michoumonster thanked Styled At Home
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Make the laundry your "shared bath", with much better space and put the laundry INTO what is now the shared bath. The attic space..........wherever it becomes two foot elevation, or three, or four, or even five feet is a waste of time. Depending wall / ceiling elevations......access the bath from both bedrooms. But without DETAIL nobody can tell you .

You can't "squeak" a bath into the attic space. All of life and space is inches. You need to be able to stand and you must minus out the space in which you can not stand. To the REAL attic space. Saying "about" doesn't help. as there is no "about" in bath design or any other design.

Rather than guess, get a very good contractor and bath designer. This method ......and the guess work as to what is possible with soil pipes, plumbing and all else is simply that. Guesswork.

michoumonster thanked JAN MOYER
  • enduring
    5 years ago

I'd like to add that with my washer the installation instructions stated to place the washer against a load bearing wall. You don't have much room in the existing laundry room along a load bearing wall for this. You don't want to place all that energy along a joist center, cause it will bounce the floor.

I think your drawing needs more detail, like doors and windows, plumbing, exterior walls, electric, in the existing bath and laundry.

I do like Jan Moyer's comment above (that goes along with one of your comments early on) about making the small bath the laundry and the larger laundry into a bathroom. You also have a nice exterior wall to set the washer in the smaller bath, it looks like. But it doesn't have to be an exterior wall, just a load bearing wall for the washer.

Then there is venting, if you go with a vented dryer. Locating the vent within the vent length dictated by the dryer manufacturer can be tricky. You can get condensing and heat pump dryers now that eliminate the need for venting. You will need easy access to cleaning a vent every 6 months or so too.

What I'm saying is that washer and dryers can't just go anywhere. They need to be sited for safety and performance.

michoumonster thanked enduring
  • Laura Villar
    5 years ago

If you want to add value please change that wonderful laundry to another full bath. However, I know not what you want, add a closest type laundry room. If you have front load washer, have space on top both W/D plus cabinets on top. Out of the way, looks nice, and trust me on resale. I have never had anyone say no to a home because the laundry did not have a sink.

michoumonster thanked Laura Villar
  • michoumonster
    Original Author
    5 years ago

enduring, thanks, you bring up a lot of good points. i noticed in my existing laundry room that the tiles are all loose. i had assumed it was just because it is old and in need of a refresh, but wonder now if this is an indication of a poorly located washer? i also see that the dryer vents out onto the roof (a lot of old lint here). i didn't know there were ventless dryers! i will have to read up on those. thank you!

Jan, initially i didn't think I should do the laundry in the smaller bath since that bath is small as it is. but the exterior wall of that bath is on my deck, which would be much better to clean out the dryer vents that way. so your and hemina's suggestion of moving it to the other bath is warming up to me. i agree with you regarding the attic not being worth tapping into.

Laura, thanks for those suggestions. I do think we need a second bath and do feel it will add value.

i also am thinking about having the upstairs laundry be a secondary unit stowed away somewhere, and putting the main laundry in my mudroom, since it is closer to where I am most of the day. perhaps a laundry chute would be a fun and useful item to add. i need to work on the location and concept of how i do laundry a bit more, think through all of my home's issues too. thank you so much everyone. it has been such helpful feedback!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I'd kill for a huge 2nd floor laundry room. It would need space for side-by-side w&d, double laundry tubs, a long counter for folding, room for an ironing board that is always set up, room for my rotary iron, an office chair I could use for both. I'd also like some pull out drying racks, and cabinet uppers for laundry supplies. It should be bright and airy, but not "glam" - just simple and functional. Oh - also room for a counter for my sewing machine and serger, and a cabinet for seeing supplies. And room for a small TV and an Apple TV as well. Yes, a HUGE room! I will never have it other than in my dreams.

michoumonster thanked Anglophilia
  • Rosefolly
    4 years ago

If I ever design a house, I want a huge and lovely laundry room. Next to a walk in pantry it is at the very top of my wish list.

michoumonster thanked Rosefolly
  • monicakm_gw
    4 years ago

I don't have a large Laundry room but it is "glam" :)

https://sawyerrk.imgur.com/all/

michoumonster thanked monicakm_gw
  • hemina
    4 years ago

I have a huge laundry room and an automatic folder! It’s called my living room and my husband washes the laundry and folds it in there (normally while watching sports on Sundays)...his first job was at a retail clothing store so 30+years later, he’s retained his folding skills due to weekly practice. LOL

• monicakm_gw
    4 years ago

Your laundry room is in your living room? Well, at least you have a laundry room :P I'd hate to see how my husband would fold clothes! LOL

• hemina
    3 years ago

We fold in the living room because we have a tiny laundry room...lol. Best advice I ever got when I got married...let your husband do the laundry-don’t be embarrassed by “whatever” and let him just get used to dealing with it all. It’s been great. I still can’t get him to put sheets on correctly but we just have appreciate what we have.😆