SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always1stepbehind

Non stick pans...breaking the habit.

I've always used non stick. I recently scorched one of my sauce pans so I decided to replace it with a stainless sauce pan. I picked it up at TJ Maxx. I've noticed my non stick pans holding the smell from whatever I cooked and the smell of the dish soap. I've been wanting to try stainless so I thought this might be a good time to start switching over but I am so paranoid of food sticking. The non-stick is going to be a hard habit to break ;-)

Comments (47)

• eandhl2
    7 years ago

When I sauté I have had good luck with, heat the pan, then heat the oil then add the food. Leave the food alone till you get a little crisp, then flip.

always1stepbehind thanked eandhl2
  • Related Discussions

Non-stick frying pan not made in China? Or Hard Anodized?

Q

Comments (5)
    High heat is fundamentally incompatible with PTFE nonstick coatings, which covers Anolon, Scanpan, and everything else I'm aware of that is actually "nonstick." Given your technique of cooking with high heat, the reasonable options I see are (I covered some of this in my reply to your other thread, so please forgive the duplication): 1. Get cheap nonstick pans that you can replace whenever you destroy them. I like the Johnson Rose Crown Select pans, which are available for Instawares and other retailers. 2. Go with stainless steel pans. In my experience, the Silvinox surface treatment that Demeyere gives to their Atlantis and Apollo pans works better than normal stainless steel, but a lot of people are quite happy with All Clad and similar pans. 3. Use Demeyere's ControlInduc nonstick pans on an induction burner. As you mention in your other thread, they stop heating at 485 F, which will prevent you from damaging them by overheating them.
    ...See More

quitting a bad habit

Q

Comments (48)
    Congratulations! You are now a non-smoker. After the first 2 weeks, you can deal with it. Now you have to decide what you are going to do with the money you are saving. For the first year, each month on my "anniversary", I bought myself a nice gift. After that, each year on the anniversary, I get a nice gift. [Stan says it would have been cheaper for me to keep on smoking, considering all the gifts I have gotten for quitting!!]
    ...See More

A Look at Growth Habits

Q

Comments (57)
    I have the 2 thumbalinas in pots but I banged out the bottom and have them sitting in the courtyard and the roots are out the bottom and into the ground now. I fertilize with fish emulsion and liquid seaweed alternately in a weak solution. If I can locate a J-4, I will gift out the thumbalinas to a neighbor. My new thing is 1 in, 1 out....upgrading all the way. JJ has really gotten this down on coming up with making ones that are happy bloomers. roxanne
    ...See More

Any clues about growth habit/size of Sui Mei Ren?

Q

Comments (65)
    Outsteelers, your rose looks amazing. Not bad since you bought it in Fall and it is growing tons of buds already. Got to post pics as it blooms and I bet it will look beautiful. Can't wait to see the blooms :) My rose is called Ping Dong Yeu Ji . Sorry for the delay of name. jin
    ...See More
  • sheesh
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a big stainless sauté pan, and cast iron pans in several sizes. The cast iron pans are far and away the best for everything from fish to eggs to delicate mushroom sautés, and they are terrific for browning meats and then braising them in the oven. They whisk clean in seconds, and when I manage to burn something in them, they soak clean in two or three minutes.

Yes, they are heavy, but they are also pretty inexpensive and easiest to use. But, then, I've been using them all my life, so I'm biased. My sauce pans are all stainless and I love them, too.

Eandhl's advice is good. Don't peek or try to flip until the food practically releases itself. Enjoy!

always1stepbehind thanked sheesh
  • Errant_gw
    7 years ago

I've only ever used cast iron and stainless, like sheesh. Start with a hot pan, and you won't have issues with sticking.

always1stepbehind thanked Errant_gw
  • always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for the tips. I had read to try to find cast iron that has a "smooth" surface. True? I have a cast iron "comal" that I use for tortillas and that does have a smooth surface. I checked out some Lodge brand cast iron pieces and I did notice their surface had a little texture to it. Think it matters?

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

My favourite cast iron are my deBuyers. Not sure if that is what they meant by smooth, but the deBuyers isn't rough like some of my old cast iron (different process, I think).

I went through a short phase of using non-stick pans and hated them. I found stuff did stick to them anyways and I wasn't good at babying them the way you seem to have to. And then there was that whole bird dying from the fumes thing that really put me off it.

If I accidentally burn something in a SS saucepan or it's a big stuck on mess, I add just add a water and a bit of powdered dishwasher detergent and warm it gently on the stove. Everything just lifts right off.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Usually the older cast iron are smoother due to them using a different casting process than most modern plants use. Not sure if every brand is the same, but new Lodge is nowhere near as nice as an old pan. I have grandma's old pans, very much nicer than my newer Lodge.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Always,

What type of fuel are you using? Gas, electric, induction? This will help with recommendations.

I don't use non-stick either and have no problems with sticking. I personally don't like Lodge cast iron as I have found them hard to season. I use the De Buyer Mineral B. It is not traditional cast iron like the lodges but are very even heaters, get to high temps and are much lighter. For eggs, I use the De Buyer. After a little seasoning, they are almost fully non-stick. The newest pan is about a month old. The De Buyers are not dishwasher safe but I really just wipe it with a moist cloth.

I also have Le Creuset pans for other types of cooking and I love these too.

For regular stainless steel pan, I have All Clad and Demeyere. I prefer the Demeyere but unfortunately, they no longer make the style that I had.

Nothing to fear, stainless steel and DeBuyer are great.

Good luck!

• User
    7 years ago

We used nonstick fry pans for decades. I got tired of throwing them away after a few years so I gave stainless a try. We bought a Calphalon triply omelet pan and I was amazed that eggs don't stick if you preheat it and put a little oil in it. If I cook meat in that pan, eggs will stick on the next use unless it's cleaned with Barkeeper's Friend or Cameo stainless polish. Then it's back to being stick free. I tried a pork chop and couldn't believe how beautifully brown it got and how easily the pan cleaned, so we bought an All Clad saute pan for browning meat and chicken. As eandhl said, the meat will release easily as soon as it's browned. I do steak in it now instead of broiling them. The pan cleans right up with a little BKF or Cameo.

I bought all sizes of the Calphalon triply saucepans at Marshall's for less than $50 a piece. I have one nonstick saucepan for rice. I don't think the All Clad saucepans are worth the expense.

• User
    7 years ago

It is the older cast iron pans that are smoother. The newer ones are rougher and take longer to season. I actually like to grab old cast iron skillets in antique/country stores when I see them and give them to my kids, they are already wonderfully seasoned. I think that I do almost all of my cooking in cast iron pans. I have a few different sizes but I have gotten into the habit of leaving my 13" on my stovetop (it's so heavy!) and I use it for almost everything.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

I totally agree with pinkmountain. The new cast iron pans are okay, but not nearly as wonderful as the old ones. Also, it is better to use just vegetable oil (not olive oil) to season cast iron, simply because of its high smoke point.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Same as mayflowers. Look into Calphalon or AllClad. I have Emerilware which is made by AllClad. If something sticks or gets burnt on, I usually just have to soak it with soapy water or else use Barkeeper's Friend. I got the Emerilware as a wedding gift and I've had no problems for over 10 years now, and we cook all the time.

We also use LeCreuset grill pan a lot. We had an electric coil originally, but we've had induction for more than 5 years now.

• aok27502
    7 years ago

I have a couple of Lodge skillets, but I could use some advice. I always use oil, as they are not seasoned. I am not squeamish as a rule, very little bothers me. But the idea of a pan that never sees soap? Nope. I can't fathom a pan that doesn't get washed, just wiped out. Am I missing some important part of the process? Or should I just continue to use oil in my CI skillets? They work fine, BTW. :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

If your skillets are new Lodge pans, they come pre-seasoned and the inserts explain that. I went ahead and seasoned my newer ones again. As far as not using soap, the heat kills bacteria anyway and I always use the hottest water I can to rinse my pans. Then, after wiping them out, I heat them again to be sure they are totally dry. No worries.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

I researched Analon pans regarding safety. The newest ones are free of the chemical PFOA that was causing the illnesses. This was at the factory and the surrounding areas where people were exposed.The maker says using the pans does not expose you because the chemical is almost gone at the end of the manufacturing process. PFOA is also present in stain resistant carpeting and some other products.

The new advanced coating holds together well and does not come apart as the old teflon pans did. HOWEVER, you must not heat the pans to 500 F. The coating will become vulnerable and may release gasses which may harm birds and with prolonged or repeated exposures humans. Respiratory irritation was the main complaint. I have never heated my pan above 400. I like cast iron and it is completely safe and good for the environment. I do keep a few Anolon Advanced pans because they cook some things really well like crepes and eggs. The stay cool handles are nice. Stay away from the cheaper non stick pans with thin coatings that scratch easily.

• User
    7 years ago

To the OP, if you do switch, be sure to review information about how to care for your new pans, and make sure your family members know too. My stainless steel pans are indestructible but I use Barkeepers Friend (noted above) about every third time I wash them. And you can ruin a cast iron pan if not cleaned and stored properly.

Aok27502, for my cast iron pans, I use kosher salt with a dobie sponge to remove any sticky bits, and do a quick rinse in hot water and dry. I know what you mean, though... the concept of never fully washing it with soap and water is rather off-putting.

• User
    7 years ago

What Aok said. I have an old cast iron pan that was a gift. It's supposedly seasoned and ready to go but I can't bring myself to use it! I can't wrap my head around the no soap. I'm concerned I'll ruin the thing. Also not sure I want to dare use something that heavy near my glass top stove. Do all of you cast iron lovers have gas stoves?

I like stainless for browning meat, but for now I'm still using my ceramic non stick for eggs.

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

I also have All Clad. I've almost got my DH trained to heat the pans first before cooking so I can finally get rid of the non-stick ones. I have never had a problem with cleaning my pans with just a nylon scrubby and a dab of dish soap. If something gets burnt/stuck on, I just put some water in, a dash of dish soap and put it back on the stove to heat up. Let cool down and it'll clean up with no scrubbing.

My DD got a gorgeous set of stainless cookwear for a wedding gift but hated them because she didn't know to preheat them. Almost every pan had black stuck on gunk and one weekend while dogsitting for them I cleaned them all up-took me a while, but they were gleaming. She's now learned to heat a bit of oil in the pan and have the pans super hot before adding the food to be cooked.

I love the texture I get using my pans. You cannot get the same browning with non-stick.

• Gooster
    7 years ago

A good baking soda paste scrub or a little BKF on a nonstick pan will help remove residue and may help improve performance.

For saucepans, you should not have to worry about food sticking on stainless. For fully clad stainless I prefer Demeyere Industry, 5Plus or Zwilling Sensation (made by Demeyere, which they now own). The Silvonix finishing they use on the stainless steel helps resists heat discoloration and releases food easier than say All-Clad or Cuisinart. There are also no interior rivets. I also have a variety of thick copper saucepans.

Now people branched over to fry pans, and I have or tried just about every material. I prefer Demeyere Proline but will trot out the vintage cast iron (Wagner) for a tortilla espanola or something similar.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

I have old industrial baking pans coated with a silicone glaze. I do not know if skillets were made with this glaze, but there are new 'nonstick' ceramic skillets.

I have a set of stainless and I have a set of cast iron, they seem to do fine for all my cooking needs. I use the stainless to fry eggs, a brief 5 minute soak makes any stuck egg easy to remove.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I have several of my grandmother's old cast iron pans. I WASH THEM! GASP! I have no problems. I don't wash them every single use (depends on what has been cooked in the pan), and use salt to clean them the times I don't wash with soap. You can re-season a cast iron pan. Shee, I do not use my cast-iron on my smooth cook-top.

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

Has anyone tried the red copper pans? They were all the rage around here for Christmas. My mother-in-law and her sisters now have them and they think they are great. They do need to be seasoned periodically, and they work like non-stick without the Teflon. I'm not sure if they allow for the nice browning you get with stainless steel. Reviews I read on Amazon are mixed.

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

Tina, I have read numerous places lately that using mild soap on cast iron is okay! If you use mild soap and are gentle, the seasoning should be fine. I have two newer Lodge cast iron pans. While I like the cooking results, I hate the maintenance and I just can't get a good surface on them like you get with older, well-used pans. The large cast iron pan my mother has, which I grew up cooking with, is much easier to clean and maintain than the newer ones I have.

• User
    7 years ago

I also use soap occasionally on my cast iron pans. I think that once they are well seasoned, it is fine to do a quick soapy wash. That seasoning is very hard, a bit of soap shouldn't remove it. But usually hot water and using a wooden spatula to scrape off any remnants of food will do the job for me. I use mine on a glass cooktop.

• User
    7 years ago

I hadn't heard about the red copper pans. They have a ceramic coating like the Green Pan and Cuisinart Green Gourmet. I had a few Green Gourmet omelet pans, and they do work well. Food can start sticking after a few months but BKF returns them to non-stick. They last a few years but eventually eggs stick as the finish gets scratched. That's why we switched to stainless--we didn't want disposable cookware. Stainless does sear meat better than ceramic-coated cookware. The red copper pans look lighter than the Green Gourmet so I don't know what their searing ability is, but maybe the addition of copper helps retain heat for a good sear.

• sas95
    7 years ago

We have a few carbon steel skillets that we really like. They have the basic properties of cast iron, but are lighter and easier to work with.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

I wouldn't break the habit completely. I use SS and All Clad, but always a non-stick for any kind of egg, and grilled cheese sandwiches. Or...if I make one serving of pancakes for myself. :)

DH only uses cast iron. He has them in all shapes and sizes. I can't even lift one. lol

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    7 years ago

homepro, we have gas. I'm loving this thread. Getting lots of good info, thank you. I'll have to google carbon steel skillets, thanks sas.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

There is no logical reason not to use mild soap and warm water on a cast iron pan. Also no logical reason NOT to use soap and water, so whatever floats your boat. If you use soap and scrub really hard with hot water, you could, (in theory), disturb the finish/seasoning on a cast iron pan. But not likely if it is properly seasoned and if you wash it gently. Soap cuts oil, and seasoning is the polymerization of oil molecules, so the soap is somewhat counterproductive but not hugely so if you don't soak them in soapy water for long periods and are gentle with the washing. A properly seasoned cast iron pan has a hard finish and it won't get "washed away" with soap if it is polymerized.

Also, you must keep cast iron pans dry or they rust, which is not a big deal but requires more maintenance to clean, so best to avoid. I use a mild soapy wash for my cast iron pans, then dry them with a towel, lightly rub them very lightly with canola oil (it's what I have on hand right now, grapeseed is better) and then dry them at 500 in the oven until it smokes and then turn off and allow to cool before putting away. You can also heat them on the stove on high to get them extra dry, just be careful. I leave my cast iron dutch oven on the back burner of my stove, but my other pans are smaller and lighter so I store them in a cupboard.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

I have a glass cooktop and it seems very prone to scratches so I would never be able to use a cast iron pan. Sad. I use the greener non sticks or stainless.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    7 years ago

I inherited my Grandmothers "black spider", I have no idea why she called her Griswold CI pan that, lol!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Hmm, I hate cast iron. It is so darn heavy. I also worry about it chipping my marble or sink or whatever. I understand its properties, but I hate it.

I bought several pieces of the "new" nonstick all clad a few years ago, and now it needs to be replaced. I think I will convert to all SS. If it has worn off, where has it gone?

• lizbeth-gardener
    7 years ago

I have All Clad SS skillets, antique Griswold CI and anodized Calphalon and like all of them. I love the SS for eggs over easy-they slide right out of the pan. For scrambled I put the pan in the sink with water and by the time I'm through eating, it cleans easily. The most important thing with SS is to heat the pan before you add oil. I put a few drops of water in pan when I put it on the burner and when the water starts dancing, I add the oil. As others have said, if something is sticking, it's probably not ready to turn yet.

I do use my CI on a glass top stove with no problems. My CI is a smooth bottom; I don't think the ones with a fire ring/ridge on the bottom would work on glass. I usually just use a paper towel and kosher salt to wash my CI, but have used soap and water with no problem. If it has been seasoned well, soap isn't going to wash it away. I do put it on the burner after washing/drying to be sure it's very dry before storing to prevent rust.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Bumblebeez,

Do you have an induction cooktop?

For individuals with induction cooktops who are worried about scratching the glass surface, I use a silicone Potholder from Lamson Sharp. It lifts the pan off the surface but since induction is magnetic, direct contact is not required for the pot to work. This keeps the surface scratch free!

Good luck!

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I hate "nonstick" anyway. That's a misnomer. It's only nonstick for a while, then it is a crappy pan that you have to throw out. Wasteful. I've always used stainless steel pans for frying and sauteeing and braising. Never had a sticking problem. You have to use some butter or oil and be careful, but non-stick is not needed. I have never used it much and do not miss it. I love the heat retention and diffusion properties of either cast iron, or pans with a cast aluminum bottom, like All Clad. They can be heavier though. I guess copper bottom does some of that, but I have never noticed a difference between my copper clad stainless and the non copper clad stuff.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Why "break the non-stick habit"? Different skillets for different purposes! A non-stick skillet is perfect for an omelet; cast iron for frying or baking cornbread, a La Creuset pot for making soups and stews, a stainless steel pan for sautéing . They all have a place in a kitchen if one has the money and the space. If not, stick with an inexpensive non-stick pan from World Market!

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    7 years ago

True Anglophilia. I've always bought pots and pans in sets. After purchasing this last set, I told myself I would start buying in pieces instead of another set.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

The only way I was able to break the nonstick habit was to get rid of them. We use cast iron, but they are beasts to lug around. You can also season stainless steel pans so that they will be nonstick: How to season stainless steel pans

• User
    7 years ago

If you only use the stainless steel omelet pan for eggs, you'll never need to season it after the first time and you can hand wash it with soap. Just preheat it for a few minutes and put a little oil in the pan each time. DH makes an omelet every day in this pan. I see them often at Marshall's for $20. It's a good way to see if you like stainless steel. I loved it so I went back to Marshall's and bought the matching saucepans.

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/calphalon-tri-ply-stainless-steel-8-in-omelette-pan-ca-1767955

always1stepbehind thanked User
  • theparsley
    7 years ago

I got tired of throwing out wrecked nonstick pans about 15 years ago and bought a cast iron skillet. Very frequent use ever since then, and I've lived in places with electric cooktops and now have a glass smoothtop, and no damage yet, even though I can be pretty klutzy at times and also don't have normal strength in my hands. That said, my cast iron is only a 9" and I have a larger All Clad stainless pan for larger sautes and stir frying, so I don't know how I'd do with a bigger, more heavy cast iron pan.

You don't have to keep a cast iron pan completely away from any touch of detergent, but then again, you don't need detergent to get it clean. What germs do people think are living on there after the thing's been heated on the stove?? My preferred method of cleaning is with a stiff *natural* bristled brush and hot water, and then bung it in the oven with a little oil on it and heat it briefly to dry. Works best if you do it while the cast iron is still a little warm, which it will be if you just leave it in the sink while you eat. It can be a little hard to find the right kind of brush, since so many dishwashing brushes are plastic (ugh), but I believe Lodge sells a brush at what is probably a healthy price. I get my natural bristled dish brushes at a Vietnamese market for 99 cents each or so.

There are a number of folks on Youtube with videos demonstrating how to take a new, rough-surfaced cast iron pan of the Lodge type, sand down the surface with a power sander and then re-season the whole thing, and you get a glassy smooth surface like the vintage cast iron pans have. That's a little too much heavy work for me, though.

Via Youtube I also discovered a new brand of cast iron skillet called "Stargazer," which was originally a Kickstarter project, they say, and manufactured by the old methods creating a smooth surface. Looks pretty, but the price is, by my standards, rather breathtaking - $88 for a 10.5 inch pan. It could be worth it if you keep it for decades, though, and no reason you can't.

http://www.stargazercastiron.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZmNyOCzpC8

(To the person wondering what a "spider" is: There is an old style of cast iron pan called a "spider" which has legs on it and can be set directly on the coals of a campfire. For all you Laura Ingalls Wilder fans, there is a description of this in the books. I think there are manufacturers still making them for very hardy campers who don't mind carrying an iron pan with them, or you can buy vintage.)

• OllieJane
    7 years ago

I've had the Lodge brand cast iron skillet for over twenty years now. I had to season it at first, of course, but over the years it's as non-stick as a non-stick pan. I'm with Anglo, in that, I think there is a place for different pans in the kitchen. Anything that is fried, I use the cast iron skillet-except eggs-I always grab our smaller and lighter non-stick pan. I sometimes use soap in my cast-iron skillet, but mostly hot water and wipe out. LOVE my cast iron skillet. We have a gas stove.

always1stepbehind thanked OllieJane
  • outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

I'm another who has a variety of types of pans, including a non-stick I use for omelettes.

Regarding what to use to clean CI, you can use coarse salt, like Kosher, to clean. Rinse out the salt, dry well, then coat with oil (not olive oil). Coconut oil or lard works great. If you need to season more, put in the oven on 350 for about an hour, turn off and let it cool. You can put the skillet upside down to keep the oil from pooling. Then wipe the excess oil out before storing. If you don't want to go through the oven process, just clean with the salt, wipe it out or rinse out and dry well.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

For rough cast iron, use sandpaper and elbow grease. You can get your pan as smooth as you like, then season as if it were a new pan. I was wondering though about taking olive, and other salad oils up to the smoking stage. at that heat, when smoking starts, those healthy oils become carcinogenic. That's why people use peanut oil for frying. I wonder if canola oil makes a good coating if you don't let it smoke.

Ceramic coatings are very nice and healthy. I don't think they beat Analon Advanced for performance. Please everyone throw out any non stick pan that shows deterioration.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

No, Kitty, you should not use olive oil on cast iron (see my post above). It will go rancid for one thing. And I wouldn't ever use sandpaper either. Use the salt method. Some even use coarse salt and a raw potato to scrub. Crisco will work or any oil that can withstand high heat to use for seasoning the pan. I love my CI pans but almost all of them need to be cleaned well and re-oiled now and then.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

A polymer stuck to your pan is not one you are ingesting, necessarily. But it is actually a two step process, the polymerization and then the forming of the carbon matrix. What you don't want, is partially polymerized rancid goo on your pan, because that might bleed into your food. (Although there isn't some huge research study or data set out there that I know of proving that it will or how much of an effect that could have on you). That's why I take my oil just above smoking for a teeny bit, then turn off and allow to cool. How much of the surface of the pan reacts with your food and creates compounds you ingest is an issue with many types of pots, not just cast iron. Some issues have been brought up with non-stick coatings and aluminum. And those are the ones I'm most familiar with, there may be others. Science of cast iron cooking

• theparsley
    7 years ago

I believe kittymoonbeam was talking about using sandpaper to smooth the finish on rough cast iron before re-seasoning, not using sandpaper for regular cleaning. As I mentioned above, you can see many demonstrations on Youtube of the technique,such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf_gnyxyKKw - you probably want to use some kind of power sander, unless you have a superhuman sanding arm.

The standard modern Lodge cast iron pans with the rough finish are already pre-seasoned when you buy them, which is why they are dark colored when you buy them instead of mirror-shiny. If you sand them to make the surface smoother, you have to season them properly afterward.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Yes, that is what I meant to say. Thank you.