SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindalou_gw

quitting a bad habit

lindalou
9 years ago

eight days since i had my last cigarette.....how long does the urge for one last? the urges aren't as strong as they were, but they are still there. wish me luck.....i am going to do it this time!!!! :)

Comments (48)

• Orchidllauraga
    9 years ago

I wish you all the power the universe holds!!! You can do it!!!!!

I don't know how long the urges lasts, I have never been able to go more than 3 days without 1.

• sharonann z5 Ont
    9 years ago

I use to smoke but still have the urge every so often. I do smoke one every once in a while. It is a really bad habit, and a hard one to break.

• Related Discussions

Is this normal? Wm Shakespeare 2000 tomato like growth habit.

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi. I posted a message about this yesterday in the general rose forum and because I can't upload pictures there, I am reposting it here- as I think the pictures are helpful. I have a new William Shakespeare 2000, on his own root with what seems to me as impossibly spindly and prostrate growth (acts like a tomato vine hanging down out of the pot). I don't know if this is from bad pruning, or a genetic defect, or totally normal. If it's normal, will it grow out of this habit? I don't have the room for a creeping rose. ai yai yai. It looks like the main canes (from below soil) were already nipped at about 2 inches on both original shoots. It gets weird from there. All this new growth (fairly lush) is coming off side shoots, and side-side shoots. It puts on a litte cluster of shoots about every 1-2 inches. So, it's super multibranched at only 15inches height and cannot support itself. About one third of the plant appears to literally want to grow straight down because it is a bunch of side branchs that came out facing down, then they rebranched again. Good news is there is what appears a new shoot, which is about 7 inches and it seems normal. He was transferred from a band? into a gallon pot for me by the nursery about 5 weeks ago, and I just picked him up from them yesterday. I transferred him into a 5 gallon pot in the evening and his roots looked fine- running all around the soil. His leaves are normal colored and although some are quite small (all this multiplexed branching, I guess) he also has quite a bit of normal sized foliage. Lots of buds ( i removed most). To me, he doesn't look diseased. But he looks nothing like any of my other austin's. If he just needs time to grow, could you offer me advice on how to manage him? I can't imagine pruning him, seems that would make matters worse. Should I just let him hang down and be weird for a while, since the branches grew like that? I'd like to hear any suggestions (even hunches if you haven't had this particular issue yourself before). Thanks! Image link:
    ...See More

I have this bad habit.

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, it's Dec 7th, Pearl Harbor Day, for those who remember that kind of stuff. I sold/traded/gave away alot of roses this year, but I finally got the ones I wanted in the ground. The really bad thing is I placed a couple more orders for roses on fortuniana and had them arrive last month. Now I am growing new plants inside under lights, and fighting Spider mites. I went ahead and ordered Blake Hendricks Marilyn Wellan (aka Fatal Attraction) Nine Eleven Wright Brothers Let Freedom Ring New Orleans Lady Strait Arrow Tabatha Boardwalk Cajun Pearl White Timeless The only blooms I have seen so far is from Blake Hendricks, I really liked the color. Will report more later. John
    ...See More

Bad Hard Drives, Bad Power Supply, or Bad Motherboard?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd run a the Diagnostic Software (SeaTools) Seagate-exclusive hard drive diagnostic software designed to troubleshoot most hard drive issues. To me it sounds like a bad sector on the HD. You know what that clicking is. I'd be saying why me!, but the same problem on multiple new HD's, I'd be scratching my head. BTW - beautiful system you built there. Here is a link that might be useful: SeaTools
    ...See More

9 year olds and bathroom sanity habits

Q

Comments (15)
    I'll respond to a bunch of things at once here: The general consensus from you guys seems to be that we should have a wiping technique chat and have those flushable wipes. That was what I was leaning towards as well. Thank you to whoever it was that mentioned making sure they say "flushable". We don't have him enough to be on constant potty patrol, monitoring his progress for several weeks straight, so whatever we do about this has to fit the amount we have him and I think that approach is worth a shot. So, now the hard part of the problem: What do I do about getting BF to talk with him? BF is a good dad, but he's not comfortable with that sort of things and he's not all that patient. So I know he will feel pressured into giving this tutorial, that he will hate it, and I suspect he will come off as grouchy during it, rather than matter-of-fact. I was thinking of waiting to bring it up again until there is another pair of excessively poopy underwear, but I think I would rather be proactive and prevent future messes. Should I ask him what he will say to A__, and suggest he do a practice chat to me? (He'll think that's totally lame, but it might make him more comfortable with A__) Any suggestions? I have no clue how to encourage my BF on talking to his son about wiping properly and I need some ideas. Or should I just do it myself next time A__ is here? Tell BF that I'm buying wipes and ask if he wants to talk to A__ about it, or if I should (I'm nearly certain he will say he doesn't want to). Then tell A__ "Hey, I bought these for you, because you said that even though you try your best, you have trouble wiping well. [Insert calm and matter-of-fact wiping tutorial here] and then if the paper is still dirty when you do the 'check' at the end, use one of these, just like you did with the paper, but they're wet, so they'll help. Check again, and if it's still dirty, use one more. Flush the wipes with everything else and wash your hands with soap. If you're still dirty, you can have a quick shower - I know you prefer baths, but this would just be a quick shower so you can soap up your bum, and you wouldn't even have to get your face or hair wet. I'll ask you tomorrow night if the wipes made it easier for you, and if they did, Dad or I will tell Mom that you liked them and that you'd like them at her house too."
    ...See More
  • lucillle
    9 years ago

I quit before my first pregnancy, more than 30 years ago, have not smoked since. I did it as a gift to my child, and it turned out to be a gift to me.
    I coped with the urges by buying a bag of hard candies and having one when I had the urge to smoke.
    Good luck, I hope you will be successful, I think it is worthwhile to make the effort if you want to stop.

• grandma_bonnie
    9 years ago

The urges become less with time - just do it one day at a time and hang in there!

• alisande
    9 years ago

I quit in my twenties, but it was still hard. I knew after the first week I'd never smoke again, because I did not want to go through a repeat of that first week.

Nicotine is powerful, and really grabs hold of us. I had the urge to smoke for a long time, but of course it wasn't the same kind of urge I had in the first few weeks. I can tell you that for years afterward I would occasionally dream that I was smoking. The dreams were always the same: I could smoke one or two once in a while, and it wouldn't trigger a relapse. That was a dream all right, absolutely not true. The dreams went on, not often, for 17 years!

Hang in there; you're doing well. Quitting smoking was one of the best things I ever did.

• Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

Good luck! I tried my only cigarette when I was around 5 years old. I've never had the desire to try it again. I have other habits I need to quit.

Not sure how true this is. There is a pin going around Pinterest that says "If you're trying to quit smoking, go to a sauna 3 days in a row. You'll sweat out the nicotine and it will be easier to quit." I thought I'd throw it out there in case you haven't seen it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Every time I felt that urge, I thought how wonderful it was to be rid of the stink on my clothes and in my hair. I began to appreciate walking into a stench-free home, though it would take painting and upholstery cleaning to really get rid of it.

When I felt the urge for a cigarette, I remembered my foul breath and how I used to pretend that gum or mints disguised it. Just like I pretended cologne, lotions, and Febreeze made me smell better to others, lol.

And, when I felt that urge to smoke, I thought of that ever growing bank account, funded by the money that I wasn't using for cigarettes.

So, those urges turned into mini personal celebrations; I felt liberated. I think that you should focus on those immediate, tangible benefits of not smoking rather than the urge. Go brush your teeth.....that clean, tingly feeling lasts longer than a stupid cigarette, lol.

Congratulations, Lindalou! It should be downhill from now on.

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

You are over the worst part. The first two weeks are the hardest. I cried for two weeks, and continued to have the urges for quite a while...but after the second week, the urges were not bad. The thing that helped me most was drinking water with lemon juice in it--there's something about the lemon juice that really helps.

Like alisande, I dreamt about smoking for a couple of years! Not often, but it was so real. And as she said, I knew I wouldn't start again because I didn't want to repeat those first two weeks. DH still smokes (outside)--at first, the smoke from his cigarettes made me want one; after a while, the smoke was horrible.

I remind myself that I am forever "a puff away from a pack a day"...so I will not take that first puff.

Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I ever did--but one of the best. I am in my 10th year of being smoke-free.

• golfergrrl
    9 years ago

I wish you luck. I just bought an ecig to try to help me quit.
    It's not the same and not helping much. I've tried a zillion
    times to quit. Thing is, I really enjoy smoking. If you have the
    desire, you can do it. I've linked to a quit smoking site which
    might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quitnet

• workoutlady
    9 years ago

Congrats! I did a quit smoking program thru our employee assistance program. One thing I learned is the actual cravings only last something like 3 minutes (I can't remember the exact time. I think they quoted 90 seconds.) They claimed that that was the same on day one and on year 25. The difference is that on day one it happens frequently and on year 25 infrequently. They said that after 72 hours the cravings would be less frequent but when the cravings came it would still last 3 minutes. They claimed that studies have been done and they found this the same for most everyone.

With that in mind, you can be assured that you are over the hump although it might not feel like it. When you get the cravings, you really only have to find something to do for 3 minutes. Maybe take a walk, read a book, take a bath, clean the house, suck on a hard candy, fidget with the radio (that's what I do in the car), You can do it. You will not regret it.

You can also come to the table for support. I'm sure there's many of us that would give you some support if that's what you need. Again, congrats!

• linda_6
    9 years ago

I used the patch. Each week I would cut the patch in half until I weaned myself off. But I did keep a half pack of cigarettes on my dresser, just in case I got an urge too strong to fight. I never did get the urge, so after a year I threw the pack away. It does get easier every day. It was the best thing I ever did. Good luck to you.

• dees_1
    9 years ago

First of all, I want to congratulate you for quitting! It's very tough and you're taking the right steps!

When you feel the urge to have a cigarette, it will go away quickly but you need to replace the "action" of smoking. Drink a glass of water, chew a piece of minty gum or do 15 jumping jacks! Just do something else. I used to smoke while having my morning coffee, while bowling and while driving to work. Those actions made cravings worse when I finally quit.

Replacing the cigarette with candy or other food is generally what contributes to weight gain after quitting.

My ex-SIL is using ecigs to quit and it's helping her but cold turkey is the best way to go.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

You can do it!

My mother always said; " It takes 21 days to make or break a habit".

A word of warning, I quit smoking 30 years ago, there are still times when the urge hits me...then I think about how bad/stinky/expensive etc. smoking is and the urge leaves.

There will be a day when you see someone smoking and you will think how stupid smoking really is.

ML

• char2_gw
    9 years ago

My husband and I both quit 21 weeks ago. I measure by weeks because the money we spent smoking (100.000 a week I get.Great incentive. It was hard but so glad we stuck it out. I think what surprised me the most was the smell. Never realized how bad it smelled. Everything stinks. The money is being used to get rid of the smell. That is paint, and everything you else you can think of. You can do it. I just try to pick up my book or something to keep my hands busy. Husband used popsicles. Good luck!

• sidnee
    9 years ago

I quit a 2+ pack a day times 35 year habit 4 years ago. I had tried 8 other times to quit, using the patch, nasal spray, etc. none of those helped me.

I started cutting back on my cigs until I was down to 8 cigarettes, at that point I gave it up. The first week was the hardest.

What I realized is that you really have to want to quit, to be successful. I now have COPD.

Deep breaths helped me, gardening helped.

You are in my prayers, it is a tough habit to break, you can do it.

Sidnee

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

My sister quit and finally for good. She used the patch and nicotine gum, and for much longer than she ever had, but it worked. If she had to use them for a longer period to be successful, then I am glad she did.

I quit 49 years ago, but I had not become addicted to them. I missed them when we went out to dinner over drinks or waiting for our food. I have no urge for one any longer.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Congratulations for getting past the worst of the physical withdrawal. Now, you have to get past the mental urges.

I quit eleven years ago and I still have an occasional urge when I see someone smoking on television or in a movie, but I'm able to get past it with little effort.

I kept an unopened pack in the freezer for years after I quit. For some reason, doing so took away some of the panic of quitting for me. I'm not sure when I threw that pack away, but probably when I moved and left my old refrigerator behind.

• grandma_bonnie
    9 years ago

Shortly after I quit smoking, I read an article in Reader's Digest that gave me a lot of positives. How after quitting, different things would be better how you would live longer after a certain period of time. I just found this...Hope it isw OK to copy/paste it
    Benefits of Quitting

20 Minutes After Quitting:
    Your heart rate drops to a normal level.

12 Hours After Quitting:
    The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

2 Weeks to 3 Months After Quitting:
    Your risk of having a heart attack begins to drop.

Your lung function begins to improve.

1 to 9 Months After Quitting:
    Your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.

1 Year After Quitting:
    Your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.

5 to 15 Years After Quitting:
    Your risk of having a stroke is reduced to that of a nonsmoker's.

Your risk of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, or esophagus is half that of a smoker's.

10 Years After Quitting:
    Your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a smoker's.

Your risk of getting bladder cancer is half that of a smoker's.

Your risk of getting cervical cancer or cancer of the larynx, kidney or pancreas decreases.

15 Years After Quitting:
    Your risk of coronary heart disease is the same as that of a nonsmoker.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Hurray for you, lindalou! Be persistent and proud of yourself for doing something very, very hard and very, very important.

My experience was similar to alisande's. Halfway into the misery, I said to myself "I never want to go through this again, I just need to stick with it and get over it". It worked. I've had no relapses and no urges. .

Everyone should quit, smoking ruins your health and shortens your life.

• User
    9 years ago

I quit about 8 yrs ago. I still had urges for years! So I started vaping, no nic and its working fine for me. No stinking anymore either!

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Congratulations on this great and life-improving journey that you've embarked on.

At about 16 ... and when Dad was in another part of the country for an extended period, leaving the farm operation in my tender hands, with two younger brothers to help ... I started to smoke.

When I wrote, told Dad.

When he replied, there was a "Well! Well!! well!!! So the guy who's been giving me heck for smoking for years is doing it now, himself, is he?" and there was a one, two and three underlines under those first words.

And that was all that I ever heard from Dad about it.

After about 6 months ... I didn't like the taste ... and, having been trained at home in the virtues of frugality, the cost ... so I quit.

Our family has some weakness of lungs: Dad used to be confined to bed in the fall when it was raining every day or so, due to bronchitis, leaving me to look after the farm, and he felt that he was beginning to have asthma ... but moved out to farm on the prairies, and had 40 years of good health in that more arid climate.

Now, at 85, and enjoying quite good health, I'm thankful that I stopped smoking, back those many years ago.

Some time ago I was sharing some ideas on a quit-smoking site, where many found a great deal of help during the troublesome days when they were quitting.

You might find some useful ideas and support at www.quitnet.org.

Good wishes as you persist with this important issue to improve your possibilities of a longer life, with the better health to enjoy it, and the increased prosperity to cover various enjoyable activities that you may choose as you travel that life journey.

ole joyfuelled ... who gave up fuelling it with those dratted ciggies, many years ago

• anne_ct
    9 years ago

I quit...cold turkey...several years ago. I put 'em down and never picked 'em up again. The first few days were 'ell...but my impetus to quit was stronger than the urge to light up again. And...I invented things to stay busy throughout those first few days. Out of sight...out of mind...really worked.

Plus...I sat here and manually figured out how much money I would be saving by never allowing the habit to engage me again. What a shock that was! At the time...I was married and comfortably/financially secure. Today...I'm a widow trying to survive on SS. I couldn't do that if I was still a smoker.

My husband died of pancreatic cancer. He'd been a heavy smoker almost all of his life. Do I think that contributed to his death? You bet I do! And I hope I never die that way. It took him 24 agonizing months to go from a reasonably healthy looking middle aged man to...literally...a demented, pain wreaked, skeleton. I spent every one of those 24 months at his side. I didn't miss one iota of his failing. Would I ever give into an impulse to light up again? NEVER!

Today...to all you who still partake of that weed...I can smell you several blocks away when you light up. The smoke burns my nose and my lungs feel as though they're closing down. I can't stand/sit near you in a crowd or a room. Your habit is isolating you from non smokers like me. Worse yet...it's preventing me from enjoying you.

So...to those of you who still can't quit...reread my contribution to this thread....and look at your life not from the point of view of what you have...but what you're missing...by lighting up.

Anne

• nanny98
    9 years ago

Another winner here! Having quit some 20 years ago...gosh I am so thankful that I did. I had quit many times before, sometimes for years, other times for only weeks; but when the last time came around, I did it without sharing my plan with anyone in my family. I did have a 'coach' who helped me my talking with me daily on the phone.... telling me that I was going to be successful. We had a list of affirmations.... all those positive words about smelling nice, being healthy etc. that I also would write when that urge was overwhelming. It really helped me to be successful and to never look back. Keep telling yourself how wonderful you are! Open up a savings account and put THAT money in it....I have "saved a life", $$$ wise, with MY account, and will be able to by a new car when our Motorhome days are behind us.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Consider the times when you were inclined to smoke, and perhaps change the action/routine that took place at such times along with having the cigarette, or alter them.

Get something to use in your hand and to put into your mouth instead of the smoking ritual, e.g. carrot stick, celery stick, tooth pick ... (but not including applying fire to the "crutch", please).

I like the idea of the special bank/investment account, to make it easy to visualize the financial advantage that's accruing.

How about also visualizing some of the benefits that you'll buy for yourself using a rather small portion of that saved money?

You'll need to hang on to most of it and learn how to invest it wisely, to finance those added good times to enjoy during those additional and more healthy senior years.

ole joyful

• pattico_gw
    9 years ago

never took up smoking....but I've watched many in our family fight to quit.

My husband used to smoke three packs in two days....until he had a stroke.

Did you know every time you smoke it contracts your blood vessel...which can cause strokes.

Can't get him to completely quit but he has cut down to 5 or 6 that he likes with his breakfast. He gets up early and goes out for breakfast so he no longer smokes at home.
    Now I am not a second hand smoker....!!!

I wish you all the blessing in the world....for a successful fight against smoking.

patti

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

Bravo to you and to all the others who have successfully quit. I know it's terribly difficult. Please, please, please, take that money that you would have spent on cigarettes and put it away. Keep counting it from time to time. That should be an added incentive to stay on track. A few months back, a lady was ahead of me in the grocery store and she was buying a carton of cigarettes. I was shocked at the price.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Several years ago, when I had a display trailer at a fall fair of stoves that I sold that burned shelled corn, a few girls were walking by, one or two of them smoking.

I asked them whether they'd like a Cadillac ... and they looked at me out of the corner of their eyes, asking what would be required in order to qualify.

I said that nothing unusual was required ... that they could stop smoking, save the money that it required, learn how to invest wisely ...

... and, after a while ...

... buy it for themselves.

One asked whether I was telling them to quit smoking.

I said that I enjoyed my freedom to choose the paths of life that I should follow, and that I need to respect the desire of others to live in similar fashion ...

... that I was just suggesting an alternative to one aspect of one's lifestyle that they might find attractive.

It did get a bit of a discussion going, which included, if I remember correctly, some of the other benefits, as well.

That was over 20 years ago.

ole joyful

• hounds_x_two
    9 years ago

I quit over 15 years ago, and occasionally have that "it sure would be fun to have have a cigarette" urge. It goes away in a matter of seconds. I am always able to remind myself that smokers don't realize that they stink. When you REALLY want a cigarette, health, cost and smell concerns do not prevail. Just know that urge will pass. Don't go buy a lack and have "just one"!
    Any other former smokers have the "Oh, no! I smoked!" Nightmare?

• chisue
    9 years ago

Not smoking -- including e-cigs, which may be even worse for your lungs -- is a Very Smart Move.

I 'only' smoked two to five cigarettes a day, starting at age 20. I smoked so *little*. Surely I could always quit this social smoking. My DH never smoked and didn't like that I did, but never nagged about it. Ten years later, when DS was an infant, I decided to quit.

OMG! I was AN ADDICT! What a revelation. One morning after we'd hosted a party, I was cleaning up, emptying ashtrays. The smell was awful. Truly disgusting, though, was that I realized I was looking to see if somebody's old BUTT was long enough to light! That gave me the backbone to keep up the good fight.

Maybe giving up smoking -- realizing what it means to be an addict -- is some protection for never 'trying' any other drugs?

I 'only' smoked lightly, and stopped forty years ago. Would I have COPD if I'd never smoked? Would I be spending $250/month on Advair for the rest of my life if I'd never smoked? Have I poisoned my DH or my DS?

Do whatever you must to stop being drug-dependent. A neighbor only succeeded after going to a hypnotist twice.

• socks
    9 years ago

Lindalou, I cannot even imagine what you are going through, but with all my heart I wish you success. You have invested 8 days, and that's no small achievement. I imagine you have difficult days and moments ahead, but I heartily encourage you to stay busy and do whatever you have to do in order to stop smoking. Thinking of you and cheering you on!!!

• lindalou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, so much, everyone for all your support.....it means so much to read these especially when you are having a "moment". you guys are all the best!!! :)

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

We quit in January 2003 after DH dr. said he wouldn't treat him any longer if he didn't quit. Also, DH didn't realize how much monthly we were spending until I told him and he realized that it "is a car payment"!! Can't even imagine doing something so dangerous and costly, now at around $90 a carton!!!!!

I quit cold turkey and he went to a cessation class and took Welbutrin initially. I had no reaction to nicotine withdrawal, but what got me was the hand-to-mouth that was missing. Got over that, but still, tho rarely, get the urge but it passes quickly, thank goodness.

• chisue
    9 years ago

Lindalou -- You certainly don't want to go through this AGAIN, do you? Think of the work you've already put in to breaking this habit. Keep looking forward to being free of this stinkin' addiction -- and distraction.

Before I decided to quit I took note of when I did smoke. I realized it was a time filler, and often an excuse to stop work for the time it took to go through the routine. I decided to just give myself permission to take a short break.

(Stalling while 'lighting up' is a dodge you often see in movies.)

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Congrats to you!! One of the tings I did for myself early on in the quitting process was to treat (buy) myself something with the money I was not spending on cigarettes. As for the cravings, I used to suck on "red hots" candy to numb my mouth. The cravings become much more manageable within a few weeks. keep up the good work.

• lindalou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

10 days and counting. thanks for all the suggestions....think i will get some red hots to suck on!! i'll keep you updated, even if i slip up, which i don't intend to do. :)

• chisue
    9 years ago

Uh-uh, no thinking about 'slip-ups' You have to be totally committed to succeed. Why backslide while you are WINNING!

• pekemom
    9 years ago

I quit about 1982 or 1983....had been smoking 10 years or so, the craving wasn't too bad when I quit, no patches or anything back then, I can be where others smoke and don't want a cigatette but I did enjoy smoking.

• clubm
    9 years ago

My story goes like this. I smoked 35 - 40 yrs. I enjoyed smoking. I developed a health issue and knew i had to stop but continue to smoke.
    I guess I was in denial regarding my health. On a Dr visit I was asked
    If I had stopped smoking. I replied no. The Dr asked me if I had a
    Death Wish...it was those words that changed my life. I lefted with those
    two words repeating in my head Death Wish. I found a on line group called
    Quitnet.com and picked a quit date and went cold turkey. It wasn't easy.
    In fact it was one of the hardest thing I ever did besides giving birth. lol
    It was very helpful with my quit in 2007 and am still smoke free. I suggest
    you check the site out. Wishing you the Best of Luclk!! :)

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

If quintet.com doesn't succeed, try quintet.org ... I think that's the address.

ole joyfuelled ... without help for about 69 years from those ciggies

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

i smoked from my teens until 25 years ago - avg 3 packs a day - Tareytons

Then, my brother in law died from lung cancer. We were the same age.
    The next winter, I caught a terrible cold/or flu.....sore throat, etc. couldn't even smoke more than a couple of puffs.

When I came out of it, I stopped cold turkey.

Haven't even had a drag on a cigarette (or anything else) since.

• chisue
    9 years ago

How's it going, Lindalou? Staying the course?

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

The first week or so is the hardest and then one day you will stop and say...omg it's been a month and then two and then three..just stick with it...it has been a long time for me now and every now and then I will have that" a cigarette would be nice thought". Although I would never do it and I know in my mind that it wouldn't ..

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

The first week or so is the hardest and then one day you will stop and say...omg it's been a month and then two and then three..just stick with it...it has been a long time for me now and every now and then I will have that" a cigarette would be nice thought". Although I would never do it and I know in my mind that it wouldn't ..

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Hi again Linda Lou,

Sending good wishes and hopes for your success in this ongoing journey.

Good hopes for success when the great temptation hits.

ole joyfuelled ... without help from ciggies

• lindalou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it's been 2 weeks, 5 days, 20 hours and 32 minutes without a cigarette.
    the cravings are still there, but not as strong and i can distract myself with a deep breath or going outside.
    thanks for all your support. i have come here and read your replies a few times and it really helps. :)

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

Congratulations! You are now a non-smoker. After the first 2 weeks, you can deal with it.

Now you have to decide what you are going to do with the money you are saving. For the first year, each month on my "anniversary", I bought myself a nice gift. After that, each year on the anniversary, I get a nice gift. [Stan says it would have been cheaper for me to keep on smoking, considering all the gifts I have gotten for quitting!!]

• chisue
    9 years ago

Horray! Good for you! Hard to imagine, but one day you will not give this a fleeting thought -- or only see someone smoking and notice how grey and dried up they look -- or how they stink.

(I hope the e-ciggarette trade gets 'snuffed' soon!)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Lindalou, you need to stop looking backwards (counting days, hours, and minutes) and living in the past. Look foward to all of the smoke free minutes, hours, days, and years!

Did you smoke in your car? If so, spend some money on having it shampooed and the ventilation system cleaned. The job will be a lot bigger if you smoked in your home. But take those steps to change and improve your environment.