SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

Bracing up for some really bad weather..

nikthegreek
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Almost as bad as it can get over here. This comes direct from president Putin.. Strong chilly winds can cause lots of damage to tender plants and weak limbed trees.. I don't mind almost freezing temps as much as I hate the wind..

Comments (85)

• User
    7 years ago

Here in Tuscany the forecast is for some serious cold as well for over the week-end; one weather site says it'll get down to -10 Celsius on Saturday; -8 on Friday and Sunday (14 degrees and 17 degrees Farenheit). Yikes,I hope they're wrong. All of my Teas are too big to protect, I think,plus both myself and my DH are kind of under-the-weather with some virus-type thingie,so I really don't want to go out there in the cold and risk making myself sicker.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Actually the link given under 'temps' above is updated real time and now it looks as we might escape the worst of it. From a -5C low and a total freezout on Sunday it says now it might just get above freezing by noon. Although things might well change again.

This is the pic of 'Ariadne' depression that's coming directly from Siberia.

• Related Discussions

Starting Over after Bad Weather

Q

Comments (5)
    I live in a western Chicago suburb. I planted my green beans two weeks ago...which is late for me...and they came up in 4 days! I think the only thing I wouldn't plant now would be the early spring veggies...lettuce, carrots, and spinach...but I would certainly try green and lima beans, cucumbers and squash. I don't plant corn because the raccoons get more than I do, so I can't advise you on that. My neighbor is still planting onions..don't know about that, but it might be worth a try. Of course any tomato and pepper plants you can still buy will certainly be OK. One of my best garden spots has their garden vegetable plants on sale for 25 cents...I will be shopping there tomorrow since I can't resist a bargain, even tho I really don't need anything else! As an old gardener, I have to say...Give it a try! That's what makes gardening fun! We all certainly hope this excessive rain STOPS. In Naperville we've been very lucky. The worst storms go north or south of us. Good Luck... Jean
    ...See More

WANTED: My Bad...My Bad...But it's here, it's really here!

Q

Comments (31)
    riverrat1 - this is one of the few places where people could understand someone having a jam collection! That is one delicious sounding package. I'm pretty sure no one else here would appreciate the tangerine marmalade as much as I would. Or the blackberry jam. So if you would be so kind, just put them back in the box, stuff a little newspaper in there (you know, to keep them from breaking - wouldn't want them bouncing around like bb's in a boxcar, now would we?) and ship them on over here. Oh, and I tasted pickled watermelon rind for the first time this past June asn LOVED it. You can put that one in there too, just to balance out the box. Thanks.
    ...See More

bad weather, no shingles, broken leg, bad luck

Q

Comments (7)
    The gc didn't finish his job, so the teacher was on the roof trying to get it finished. It is just a bad situation. I know we will have to pay the gc, but at least I will feel better about it AFTER he cleans up his mess. As far as ideal situation goes, no....we are not in an ideal situation, but we knew that going into the deal. The experience the students get from building this house is priceless, and I am proud to be a part of it. I am disappointed that when we called in a local contractor to help out...........he was the one who didn't do what he said. He was doing the underlayment so the students could proceed with the shingles. Time is an issue since the students will be on Christmas Break after this week. The students only work a few hours a day, so by hiring a contractor to work 8 hours a day we were hoping to have the roof ready for the students to put on shingles. I don't expect most of you to understand, it is a learning project and we benefit by only buying the materials for the most part. I just expect when someone tells me they will finish something by a certain date.....for that to be true. Had the contractor finished what he said he could do on time, the teacher wouldn't have been on the roof in the first place. It will all work out. I just wanted a sympathetic ear, I guess.
    ...See More

News...some good (bought fridge) and some bad

Q

Comments (9)
    Kaismom--I've had plenty of meltdowns in the past 18 months of this, but I've been fine lately. We almost did this when I was pregnant with our second, but I convinced DH to wait until after she was born to start. Briana--I feel for you living with someone else. We've been so fortunate enough to have a decently sized house to live in for the past 8 months so we didn't have to squeeze down too much. Yes, I think we're realistically about a month behind. I'd like to say less, but I'm tired of under estimating! I would have said 3 weeks until today when I found out that drywall would take about 8-10 working days. For some reason I thought it would only take a week. Beagles--I hadn't thought about the stress of living with the kids in a kitchenless house with construction still ongoing. Maybe we'd better plan for a 3-month apartment lease and stay there until the house is further along. Celine--Yeah, some stuff is a bummer. The progress feels good though. I can't wait to see your kitchen done! Hurry! Patriot--I'm sure I'll be happy with it too. I appreciate your help in my path to buying it.
    ...See More
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    7 years ago

Bart, about five years ago we had the severest cold I've seen since I came to Italy: temperatures in the low teens for two weeks. I had a lot of Teas and other warm climate roses at the time and none of them suffered any damage that I recall. If they're in active growth when the cold strikes the young growth might get frozen back a bit, but nothing serious. Most of the warm climate roses are supposed to be hardy through zone 7, i.e., down to about 0F. The Lady Banks roses are rated hardy through zone 8, if I remember correctly: mine also suffered no damage. Italy doesn't offer much that roses recognize as cold. I wouldn't worry about them.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Indeed roses of any kind are difficult to damage with the sort of temps one gets around the Med unless one gardens at high altitude. Young shoots , even of the hardiest roses, can easily be damaged by freezing winds though. I'm not really worrried about my roses but I'm worried about my citrus.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

One more pic I found showing the Acropolis during the recent snow storm. I found no photo attribution.

• Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

Temps in the 70's yesterday and today. Lulling my plants into a false sense of security, since this weekend I think we will finally get freezing temps in the 20's (-3C one night and -5C the next). Highs in the 40's- brrr. And I have no problem blaming Putin for this.

Try to stay warm everyone- just 75 days until the vernal equinox!

Virginia

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Looks like photoshop but it's real. I love the Parthenon and would like to see it one day. I enjoyed the reproduction in Nashville Tennessee and they tried to be as accurate as possible. Thank you for posting that wonderful picture. I use Christmas lights on my Australian lemon and on a ficus and I put my bromeliads and orchids in the branches and cover it with burlap when a freeze is forecasted. I would be packing the garage with plants if I thought snow was coming. I don't like wind, hot or cold.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    7 years ago

Thanks for the link Nik. It looks like my garden received between 11-12 inches last year.

I am not looking forward to the weekend. It looks like "Ariadne" is going to bring some very low temperatures. I have a new, young lemon and a mandarin tree, recently planted. Fingers crossed.

I am a bit closer by road, to Sitia, than Aghios Nicholas or Elounda. I was thinking of driving down to Mochlos on Friday, Epiphany, to watch the cross being thrown into the harbour and all the local young men diving in to recover it, but that depends on how soon Ariadne arrives.

I hope everybody's roses and plants come through the chill okay.

Daisy

• User
    7 years ago

The pictures of the acropolis under the snow are fascinating; thanks for posting them.Nik. Today's lowest temperature forecast is for-9,but my land is a bit higher up than the towns,so it could get lower out there. Often my car thermometer reads about 3 degrees higher down here in comparison to up there, but I don't know how accurate that is, since the car itself warms up as one drives it. Tea roses aside, I'm now worrying a bit about the two cedrus libani that I planted out less than a month ago; one site says that these are only cold-hardy down to -10 C, so we'd be flirting with the line there. I guess I should just buck up and plan on going out there tommorrow to cover up the baby cedrus libani; those things are kind of hard to find...

7 years ago

We on our south-facing hillside perched midway up the hill actually are warmer than down in town, which sits in a valley where cold collects, gets less sun than we do, and is more humid because of the river. They're about six hundred feet lower than we are.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Now we did get a 15 degree F low last night, but had about a foot of snow to insulate the roses yesterday, so hopefully the Teas will be OK, fingers crossed. One more similar low expected then temps rise.

• User
    7 years ago

The snow is beautiful. I wish we'd get some,though I'd be content with rain, too.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

We are expecting about 5 inches of snow here, and everyone is in a panic. You all remember the Snowmageddon we had a few years ago where people were stuck overnight because of a few inches of snow (granted there was also ice). But we have very little snow removal equipment and if the temps stay low and the sun isn't shining, the snow just sits there. IME teas should be good unless it goes down to zero. Thats when I lost all the above ground growth on my teas, but they came back strong from the roots.

• mariannese
    7 years ago

Real winter hit at last with 6 inches of snow and wildly varying temperatures, high 19F today with -5.8F expected tonight. But it will get very much warmer in a few days, possibly with rain but I hope the snow will stay. Our local snow removal firm is very good and beginning this season homeowners are no longer responsible for removing the snow on the pavement outside their houses and sanding it. A headache less, especially for older people.

I don't worry much about my roses, I am almost hoping some of them will die and leave room for other shrubs. I am too tenderhearted to to dig up a good rose and need some help from the weather.

7 years ago

I think your Teas will be fine, Sheila: we had very similar weather five or six years ago and mine came through it with no trouble. The low here today was, supposedly, around 20F. I find it hard to believe it was that cold seeing the cheerful blooms on the roses close to the house: 'Odorata', 'Sanguinea', and even 'Archduke Joseph' up in the persimmon, all look perfectly happy, and their flowers too.

Those snowy photos are beautiful. I want precipitation!!!

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

No snow here like Sheila in SW OR, but our temp in Portland dropped to 18 or 19 last night! Plus wind. Brrrr! I think I murdered by neglect and exposure a couple of 4" potted perennials that were never planted last fall. Sigh. Carol

7 years ago

Crete

Here are some photos from yesterday on Crete. None are mine, as I spent he day indoors waiting for an electrician. A snowstorm with thunder and lightning took out my electricity and landline at dawn. Luckily he was able to reach me at dusk, after the police re-opened the road.

The Palace of Knossos looks strange under snow, the last time I was there it was scorching!

The last photo is more mundane, it is my local filling station.

Daisy

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's not Minnesota, it's Kastoria Lake, in Kastoria city, northern Greece.

2F today..

Photo by Kostas Kapourgas.

Skopelos town sea front, island of Skopelos, Western Aegean

Photo by George Kokkoris

The hills over the town of Florina, northern Greece

photo by Natassa Tzotzi

Skiathos town port, island of Skiathos, Western Aegean

photo by Hellena Kantarakia

Axios (Vardar) river, near Thessaloniki (Salonica) city, northern Greece

7 years ago

Unbelievable! Beautiful, but shocking. My cistus have a few broken branches from the heavy snow. I hope yours are spared.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had but a light sprinkling in my garden. The problem is the low temps and the freezing wind. I'm sure there will be some damage in my citrus but I will have to survey the extent of it once the weather warms up a bit. Lots of fruit on the trees as well which I doubt if it was spared..

7 years ago

Sorry to hear that Nik. Sounds like climate change is serious sad business.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They seldom spend the night inside but the last couple of nights they did.

• User
    7 years ago

...dear little babies, they do like to cuddle up near a heat source. I'm surprised to see a radiator there in southern Greece, presumably like our central heating fuelled by natural gas...? some people have oil... but obviously you do get some chilly periods..

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No natural gas mains where I live. It is diesel and bl**** expensive for that matter due to high taxation. Almost 1euro/lt last time I checked (about 4$/gal to you US guys. You should never complain about high fuel prices...). I need more than 1000lt in an average winter and our winters are generally very mild.. Some heating is usually needed here from November to late March unless you come from Siberia in which case I suppose you don't need it..

Aris hates it when he's inside. Too warm for him I suppose. I just bring him in because he feels lonely if left outside alone.

Woke up this morning to a garden blanketed in snow.. Most has melted since but more is expected tonight..

• User
    7 years ago

We mainly just use our wood-burning stoves to get through winter,though with this cold spell we've been using the heat as well.It's just too cold, and I still can't get rid of this stupid virus I have...

• User
    7 years ago

Gosh that's terribly expensive Nik, working it out at around 1000 euros for your winter fuel bill would be a lot more than even we pay here and my heating is on virtually all the time, temperature controlled of course, but expect to pay equivalent to about 460 euros [485 US$] for the period Sept - March for my gas. Electricity is separate and much less than that.

• mariannese
    7 years ago

In my village we get indoor heating and hot water by underground pipelines from our local district heating plant. All kinds of debris is burnt, biomass from gardens, garbage etc. Some cities buy garbage from outside.

http://www.svenskfjarrvarme.se/In-English/District-Heating-in-Sweden/

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

What splendid snow pictures! This So CA girl loves it! We've had much needed rain with more on the way tomorrow. We've already had more than all of last winter. I'm hoping for a wonderful spring show. Lisa

7 years ago

Bart, has it rained/snowed in your area?

Here we've had no precipitation since November, and that with most of Italy, it seems, getting drenched or buried under snow. Also nothing in the forecast.

It's cold here, too, and we stick to our living room where the wood stove is. This is our only heat except for LP gas heat in the bathroom. I may finally be getting over my own tenacious virus that I caught just before Christmas. Maybe. Just focus on the thought that you will get well one day.

Marlorena, that sounds cheap to me.

Marianne, I wish your municipalities would buy our trash. Or teach us how to make clean-burning waste disposal plants.

P.S. Oops, I "liked" my own post. That ought not to be allowed. Apologies to all.

7 years ago

I love the idea of heat from clean-burning, waste disposal plants. I have two wood burning stoves. Wood for them costs me 100 euros per 1 cubic metre of olive wood, delivered. I am currently using the 5th delivery and it is not yet mid January!

Daisy

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Daisy,

That's a lot of wood you're burning there. I suppose that's not your average in your generally mild winters, is it?

Btw here's the link for meteo stats for Sitia since you're closer to it than Ag. Nikolaos. According to this you've had 4 times the precipitation we've had this month and more than 60% more for the whole of last year.

After the snow we're in the middle of a, most welcome, rainstorm over here. To be precise the rain part of it is welcome not the storm.. High winds again, only now they are warmish from the South rather than freezing from the North. It seems we can't avoid them being between the Steppes and the Sahara or the Russians and the Arabs depending on one's point of view.. I hate the wind..

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The old ruined medieval Byzantine town of Mystras in the Southern Peloponesse, near Sparta..

Photo by my friend Panos Nikoletopoulos.

• User
    7 years ago

Greece is beautiful,with and without snow..I'm hoping we'll get some real rain and snow, especially the latter;I don't think it's quite as bad here as it has been in Melissa'a area,or in the north of Italy in general (I've read that the Italian Alps are still devoid of snow!!!),but it's still been way too dry. Looking at the forecast on some weather sites makes me think that I may not be able to get out to my land for the entire month of January,for some of them give the impression that it's going to rain, then freeze, and then snow off and on for the next two weeks, with temperatures never getting much above freezing. If it does indeed do that, I might not be willing to risk trying to drive up there, since much of the road faces north ,and therefore can be far more icey than most of the roads in our area (I am not a confident driver and don't have a four-wheel-drive car,let alone a jeep).But we need the rain, and snow is even better. I just hope it won't do this "gelicidio" thingie : a situation where, due to some combination up in the stratosphere,the precipatations don't come down in the form of snow, but remain rain which freezes as soon as it hits the ground...or the branches and stems of the plants!!! Needless to say, THAT is very damaging indeed! The risk of this makes me kind of glad that I DID go out there to protect my little cedrus libani,and wish that I could've protected all my new cypresses as well.

• portlandmysteryrose
    7 years ago

Here's shot of my Hybrid Musk roses in PDX, OR! We've been hit by storm Jupiter! Carol

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wonderful drone video from the northwestern city of Ioannina, Greece. Enjoy

https://vimeo.com/199046948?ref=fb-share&1

And a short drone video showing snowed on Acropolis

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/video-epic-drone-footage-captures-greeces-snow-covered-acropolis-youve-never-seen-before

It was romantic but only if you were somewhere warm WITH power and water, things sorely missed by many snowed in villagers in mainland Greece and on the islands... Glad it's over and we finally managed to send this thing to Marlorena where it belongs.. hohoho... Yesterday and today we had glorious sunny days with a more than 12 degrees C rise in temperature..

• User
    7 years ago

Really good drone footage there, quite spectacular, especially enjoyed the first one from Ioannina...

Sorry to disappoint you Nik, but we missed out here on the 'Thundersnow' as it was reported. We had just a light shower, bit of sleety stuff. We usually get a lot more and I was quite looking forward to a good snow cover today, but it's been a somewhat benign winter so far... this snow storm apparently originated in Canada... we're trying very hard to keep Russia out of our lives at the moment [difficult]...

• User
    7 years ago

Like a LOT, Marolena, especially as being an uber-anti-trumpeteer!!! Politics aside, i do hate this "Burian" or "Buran" thing that comes from Russia. Here to our area in Tuscany, this bas***d just brings super DRY cold. It's amazing; just on the other side of the Appenines-at our same latitude, mind you- they get copious snow...generous, nutritive snow, that feeds the ground water, and brings fecundiity,and makes us safe for the drought of summer,right? However, many of these areas are ones that were so damaged by the earthquakes earlier in the year that the people can not rejoice in Nature's bounty; they are freezing in tents, their homes have been destroyed..."it's an emergency"...jeez, what can you say???

.Here,with this weather combination, the best we can hope for is a bit of "powdered sugar"-type snow; last time we had this dam' Burian, the snow was so dry, it was exactly like powdered sugar, seriously! like dust! almost devoid of water, if that makes any sense??? so little of it, too! And along in it's ugly backpack, this dry cold brings us these horrid intestinal viruses that do NOT want to go away, and what to do to shake them off??? So far, thank Heaven, it doesn't seem as bad as it was a few years ago-here, for us, in our little "happy island" (hope that a bit of my ironic tone is being conveyed...)when this Buran thing last presented itself; for example, today, thank generous Heaven, we did get a good rain here in my area.So, I'm grateful for the rain, mates...

7 years ago

Dry, dry, dry here, and since it's also very cold (by Italian standards) the hoses are frozen and we can't water. It will be interesting to see how the plants we put in the ground in the fall do. In my seventeen years in Italy this is a new kind of winter for me. Naturally it can change, but at the moment there's no precipitation, or warming, in the two week forecast.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That powder dry snow is the best for skiing you know... when there's plenty of it.

• mariannese
    7 years ago

Ioannina in snow was really beautiful but I'm also glad it's over when I think of how cold it must have been for our friend's family in the small village of Gorgomilos in Epirus where we once went for a wedding. I don't think they had much heating in their farmhouse.

I should like to see what Metsovo looks like in snow, must look even more like a Swiss village than it does in summer.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mariannese,

Pictures of Metsovo in snow from Jan 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPvUHOG69K4

Any farmhouse will have at least wood stove(s) and more often than not also a fireplace.

• mariannese
    7 years ago

Thanks for that! Metsovo did indeed look even more like a Swiss alp village with the snow. So many houses were built with wood.

Of course they hade stoves and fireplaces but not in every bedroom.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm a lot happier in general with wood stoves rather than with radiator-type heating; there's a part of me that agrees with Nik's Aris, that it just gets "too hot"" indoors.Staying at my mother-in-law's apartment in Enna, Sicily is always a trauma,thermetically and otherwise: it's either roasting hot in that place or freezing cold! No such thing as a wood stove or fireplace in sight, of course. But with this creepy intestinal virus (get periodically drenched with sweat,alternated with "feeling cold",in a pre-menopausal way,lol) ,and the unusually low temperatures, I end out using the heat system here at home,impossible as it is to regulate.Keeping the heat on constantly in this big place is unthinkable,not to mention un-ethical, even if one would think it! .We've only been in this house about a year; I think it takes time to get the jist of a new house,but I still think that in the long run, the wood-burning stoves are just the best.

Gosh, I want to get out to my land!

7 years ago

I like wood stoves, too: the quick and intense heat; the sensory aspect, that you hear and see and even smell a wood stove; we also use ours to dry clothes and heat bricks and sometimes food or water. A wood stove has a presence; it's a hearth for the home in a way no radiator can ever be. That said, they're polluting, not to mention labor-intensive and messy. There's a symmetry to all this: significance requires work, and brings disorder with it.

We have just one stove, in our living room, which means that we all get cozy in cold weather. Perhaps it's just that DH, DD, and I get along anyway, but I think it helps that we spend our hours at home together in this small space, talking, sharing the books we're reading and what we're seeing on our computers. I must say it helped when DD got earphones and I didn't have to listen to her and DH's music for hours on end.

Bart, I get you about wanting to get out to the garden, and I hope your turn comes soon! Fortunately for me mine is right here, and even when my cold was worse than now I could step out now and then when temperatures were mild and prune the wisteria on the pergola in front of the house.

Yesterday we had an amazing miraculous day of decent weather. I was out for several hours (wow), shearing weeds, digging out a patch of Bermuda grass, pruning the Teas, that needed it badly, tidying an orange peel clematis. Which may not be very comforting to you, but sickness does end one day, and so does bad weather. I wonder if, when the weather does finally improve, we may not suddenly get well? I have a notion these stubbornly prolonged illnesses are linked to the cold and dreary conditions of these last weeks. Possibly to an excess of indoor life, too.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the old huge kitchen wood stoves which you could use for cooking and baking and to keep the kitchen warm. I wish I had a large country house kitchen where I could install one of those. There are terribly expensive if you can find one. In the old days the kitchen was where everybody stayed during cold winter evenings. There was one in the old house where I was born and even though we left that place when I was about 5 to live in a modern apartment (what a horrible invention) I still have faint and fragmented but warm memories of it with my grandma and her sister sitting around cooking and talking.

• User
    7 years ago

We had something like that when I was young, it was called a 'Rayburn', and we cooked on the top which had hot plates to put the saucepans on, and a roaring fire in the middle, which we used coal or anthracite. Sometimes wood was thrown in.

We all huddled around it most of the time as there was no such thing as central heating in those days except for the well off I suppose. Now they have 'Aga's', which are really expensive and rather posh. I've used one but I found it difficult to judge when things were cooked in the ovens, but they gave out a lot of heat I must say that.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No, it's not the Alps...

Ski mountaineering on Crete's 'White Mountains'. Enjoy...

https://www.facebook.com/pierracreta/videos/792069040944976/

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

One of the hall of fame hockey stars from Canada was interviewed during an NHL game and said his family used to go into the main room, start the wood stove and shut the heavy wood doors and watch hockey on a small black and white television back in the day. 5 boys and two parents plus a cousin or two all together in that small room staying warm and cheering on their team. Then the kids would play hockey the next day on a frozen lake and argue about who was the best player the night before.

• User
    7 years ago

Well, we did get some snow here in my area,which is good. But I can't feel very jubilant. The areas of central Italy, already devastated by the earthquakes of a few months ago,are getting mountains of snow, and there's been yet another earthquake. A luxury hotel was buried last night in a landslide of snow, and it's been very difficult for rescuers to get up there because of the snow. This sure is a bad period that the world is going through; maybe I should just quit reading the news...

I hope Melissa's area got some precipatation. Some areas of northern Italy are suffering real drought; no rain for the past 60 days,even some wildfires in Liguria, if I'm not mistaken.So, so sad...

7 years ago

Congratulations on your snow! You needed it. As for here, no precipitation, and none in the forecast. On the other hand no forest fires or earthquakes. And temperatures are forecast to rise starting in a few days. Good. I'm tired of it being freezing all the time.

This has been kind of a bad weather year for much of Italy, it seems to me.