SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

News...some good (bought fridge) and some bad

breezygirl
12 years ago

I said I'd report back on my fridge situation after I posted a couple of weeks ago about how I messed up some measurements in the kitchen. Sorry I'm just now getting around to it. The past couple of weeks have been an adjustment period having 5 year-old DS home from school all day. We can't seem to find our "no school, yet still working on the reno" rythmn. The holiday with all our various neighborhood and family events slowed me down too. I make a pretty cute parade marshall with my little white bullhorn!

So here's an update. If you don't care about anything other than the fridge you can skip the rest of the long post.

Good news:

I ended up buying a built-in KA fridge from eb@y at a great price. New, in the box, and with full warranty no less. Problem solved. Yes, it was more money than I intended to spend but it was better than trying to figure out how to re-frame and suffering the time loss to do so.

I finally found a tile installer to set my shower tile pan in the new master bath! That's a huge relief after my plumber screwed me on that one and set me back two weeks. The tile guy is actually the owner of a local flooring company. So more good news...I picked out my carpet with his help and got a decent price.

The marble for my kitchen and the limestone for my bath should arrive at my fabricator's shop today from the big city. Finally! The stone yard wouldn't give me a sample of my limestone so some bathroom choices have been on hold until I can see the stone again.

Good and bad news:

I was having trouble getting drywall subs to return calls and show up to look at the house. I've gotten two over this week and have one bid back. A third is expected at the house this afternoon. We're running into more problems than just our custom ceiling texture that needs to be matched in the areas needing patches. Because DH yanked the drywall down in areas that needed demo and didn't screw up the drywall to the ceiling where it was left sagging, we have to remove a few more sheets than we expected. Apparently, when drywall is left hanging/sagging for 8 months you can't just screw it back up and expect it to lay flat. It has a nasty memory of the sag. Anyway, don't tell DH I told you about this because he's grumpy already. ;) This all means more expense, more work, and more time to do the work.

I had the HVAC work done a couple of months ago, including moving an ugly cold air return vent in the ceiling to a spot I thought would be out of the way. Turns out that the vent is now sitting right where the interior designer I consulted with suggests putting a wall-washer ceiling fixture in order to highlight some yet-to-be-purchased art work. Darn! Another call to the HVAC guy and more work. The worst part is that there's no good spot in which to move the vent where it won't be a visual eye sore. It'll have to hang out near the front door entry now.

Now the bad news:

We have to move out of the temporary house we're staying in now at the end of the month. My goal was to get the walls and floors in by that time so we could move in. That leaves me only three full weeks at this point. I scheduled the hardwood floor install already in hopes the walls would be done, but we're not going to make it. I'll need to start looking for a place for a family with two young kids and one very old, shy, sweet, fat, black cat to stay.

Comments (9)