SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

What piece of art would you love to own?

kittymoonbeam
7 years ago

Mine is the genius of the dance figure from Carpeaux's famous sculpture for the Opera.

There are many beautiful copies. It makes me glad whenever I see his smile. To think that someone threw ink on this once.

Comments (64)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

A little more attainable, only that hasn't taken place yet....anything Chihuly would/could find a place in my home.

kittymoonbeam thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • fouramblues
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The yellow house, Van Gogh.

kittymoonbeam thanked fouramblues
  • Related Discussions

Would you like to see this year's piece of miniature art?

Q

Comments (14)
    Very nice Flamey. I love your collection. My sister painted some tiny pictures on some glass mushrooms her dh made a few years ago. There wasn't as much detail as your pictures, but she used a toothpick instead of a brush to paint them. I just want some orange juice, thank you. :) Linda
    ...See More

Does this piece of art work in my room (w/pics)?

Q

Comments (55)
    I love the first and last stripe! I like the way the line draws your eye up and the last one is simple enough to not compete with the rug or the armoire. the one I picked was tough; there were so many that had your colors in them at Horchow! That one seemed to go more with your rug (which looked red, gold and brown on my monitor!)because it didn't have any green, but in the end I was thinking it had a subtlety that might work. having all of the colors represented is probably your best bet, though- it definitely brings your eye all the way around the room in a nice way. IMHO, you can't make your walls look too tall. Drawing the eye up is almost always a great thing. And I think some height will balance out the weight of the armoire as well. but only you can see how things look in person! clearly you have great taste!
    ...See More

Is Any Art You Own, Personally Signed to YOU?

Q

Comments (18)
    Me too! Before our house fire, most of our artwork was original from my mother-in-law, or other local artist. A few were personally signed. We lost most of the artwork, but have been fortunate that relatives have given us their art work from MIL. One of our biggest losses was a personally signed P. Buckley Moss. It was one of her first works, and a low print count. Long since retired. It was personally signed to my MIL on the back of the painting. Since the fire, we have been collected modest artwork, some original (mostly oils), some just prints. None have been personally signed, with the exception of another Buckley Moss, called The Sentry. It looks over us. See the print through the mirror. Though it doesn't look it, the size is 33 X 48. Really quite pretty. I love it because we have geese flying over our house two to three times a day. I feel like they are all looking out for our new house, and bring good luck. The signature is on the glass, just below the print edge.
    ...See More

Collecting art that you love vs buying art to decorate your house?

Q

Comments (10)
    I love, love, love art. I do somewhat intentionally match it to my room, usually with a common color. That does not mean the dominant colors are all the same, maybe just splashes. I know this is not a popular practice in these forums. I also match the theme of art because I am drawn to people. 99% of my art is of faces. Because I am drawn to particular colors, most of my art and my decor also reflects that. My home contains art that I love but it must also fit the criteria of being able to decorate my space in terms of size, color, and theme, all while speaking to my soul. Even though I coordinate my art, my house is the exact opposite of Home Goods. Truth be told, I do have a handful of items from them ;-). You can still have interesting and unique spaces that are not all matchy matchy while still coordinating art.
    ...See More
  • fouramblues
    7 years ago

The Little Street, Vermeer

• tfitz1006
    7 years ago

This stunning work by El Anatsui. You can see it at The Met in NYC. It's "found art". Love it.

kittymoonbeam thanked tfitz1006
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

I really enjoy paintings by David Kidd. I dream of owning one but they are not in my price range.

kittymoonbeam thanked hooked123
  • nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

I'd want to be a lowly employee at the Louvre, just so I can see the Winged Victory of Samothrace every day. It gives me goosebumps every time I see it at the Louvre. The sense of movement, like Nike is about to take flight. How does one make stone come alive like that? But I wouldn't want it for myself, just to be able to see it everyday. And anything by Van Gogh.

kittymoonbeam thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Lars
    7 years ago

A friend of mine owns a painting by Mark America, who was a friend of mine in San Francisco when we both lived there, although he kept in touch with me when I moved to Culver City and Venice. Unfortunately, he died young, but my roommate, Daniel, in San Francisco (when I left the city in Nov 1984) was best friends with Mark and had one of Mark's paintings, which was my favorite of his, Mark and Daniel exchanged paintings with each other, and Daniel did a portrait of me, which I now own, but I really want the painting that Mark did featuring the face of Marlene Dietrich. Daniel's brother Bernard inherited this painting when Daniel died a few years ago, about two years after Mark died. Bernard and I are best friends, and he is also an artists, and I have several of his paintings and ceramic sculptures. Bernard's and Daniel's sister died on Thanksgiving this year, and I feel the need to visit Bernard and see if he needs help in this transition, as he relied on his sister for many things. If he needs money, I have thought about offering to buy Mark's painting from him, as he has lived with it for many years, and he would still get to see it whenever he visits us here in Los Angeles, which is once or twice a year, when he comes to help us with landscaping.

My good friend Mark Vieira recently published a book on Marlene Dietrich, and this book, and this book contains the photo that Mark America used in the painting that Bernard now owns. When I introduced Bernard and Mark Vieira a couple of years ago, Mark showed Bernard the Marlene book, and Bernard told Mark V that he owned a painting by Mark America that featured Marlene from the photo in Mark V's book. As it turned out, both Bernard and Mark V had sisters living in Sacramento at that time, but they never met. Mark V was familiar with Mark America because he had seen the album cover that Mark America had painting for one of Sylvester's albums, and Mark V was a bit Sylvester fan.

Mark America was one of my best friends in San Francisco, but I do not own any of his art, other than the Heavy Metal magazine that he did the cover for.

I would also like to have a copy of Spider Woman, with the cover featuring a painting of a model I lived with (Valerie V.C.) in San Francisco circa 1974. She was bi-coastal and was dating Leo Sayer at the time, hoping he would introduce her to Roger Daltrey.

kittymoonbeam thanked Lars
  • kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I feel the same way about the winged victory sculpture.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

Add me to the fans of Winged Victory, I was thrilled to finally see it this year.

Anything by Monet.

kittymoonbeam thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • msmeow
    7 years ago

Cyn, we visited Ginevra again when we were in DC in August. She's lovely!

Donna

kittymoonbeam thanked msmeow
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I truly fell in love when I saw Hunt's lady of shalott. Pics cannot do it justice. It is large and detailed and incredibly luminous in RL.

kittymoonbeam thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Mary Cassatt,

or something by Carl Larsson. I love his images of home, and his family makes me think of our own.

I don't need to own it, but someday I would love to see Van Eyck's Wedding Portrait in person.

kittymoonbeam thanked laughablemoments
  • Ellie RK
    7 years ago

@nosoccermom - I was going to post " Starry Nights over the Rhone." One of my favorites too. Great taste!

Another one I adore is "Train In The Snow" - Monet

kittymoonbeam thanked Ellie RK
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

Something by Sargent, maybe. His compositions, color palette, brush work, all virtuoso.

Pinks, greys, velvety black

His use of lavenders, ivory, blue, green

That purple-blue with the coppery shades. The intense eyes of the two figures, the quick brushstrokes...

Blue-grey with that lavender sash! The silk dress, the woman's blue-black hair...

Even more amazing in person.

kittymoonbeam thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

fouramblues, you may enjoy reading this story about finding the exact location of Vermeer’s “The Little Street” Discovered - HERE.

I found it very interesting how they zeroed in on it in November 2015.

kittymoonbeam thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

My unsophisticated eye would enjoy the original of a print I have hanging in the playroom--'The Berry Picker' by Andrew Wyeth. His wife was the model, and she reminds me of my mother and aunt. I'd also love the original of Grandma Moses' painting, 'Early Springtime on the Farm.' My mother had a framed print, with the perfect color mat, which I loved and wanted, but she gave it to my sister. I guess if I were aiming higher, I'd take the Little Mermaid in the harbor in Copenhagen. I loved that story long before Disney got hold of it.

kittymoonbeam thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • dedtired
    7 years ago

Along with Winged Vistory and many others at The Louvre, I remember being blown away by David's The Coronation of Napoleon

At The Borghese Gallery in Rome, I fell in love with Bernini's sculpture Apollo and Daphne.

I keep thinking of more and more! Can I own the Sistine Chapel ceiling?

kittymoonbeam thanked dedtired
  • dedtired
    7 years ago

Oops, where's my pictures go?

Coronation of Napoleon. It is enormous.

kittymoonbeam thanked dedtired
  • User
    7 years ago

The war shirt in this photo, created by Cathy Smith. She crafted precise recreations of regalia of the Plains Indians, and this is a part of her exhibition. She also did the costuming for Dances With Wolves and is a most interesting woman of many talents.

kittymoonbeam thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Also at the louvre, I fell in love with the marley horses.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I go visit my piece of art whenever I am in London at the National Gallery. 'The execution of Lady Jane Grey' by Paul Delaroche is hauntingly beautiful to me.

I agree with you about Winged Victory, and am also a Monet fan.

kittymoonbeam thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I'd be pretty happy with one of any number of hudson river school landscapes...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Oh how could I forget Maxfield Parrish!

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I'm on the Kindle right now, and don't know how to add images from it. But I'd love to have van Gogh's Cafe Terrace at Night.

Actually, I do have it hanging in my living room right now. But it's just the print.

kittymoonbeam thanked artemis_ma
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

KittyMoonbean, thank you for posting the question, this thread has been sooo interesting to follow and I've so enjoyed seeing all the favorites. I love all of them. It would be a sad world without the arts.

kittymoonbeam thanked Yayagal
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

artemis, we saw the building when we were in Arles. It wasn't painted that color when he painted it, but after the painting became famous, they painted the building to match.

• fouramblues
    7 years ago

Thanks for pointing me to that story, my3dogs - interesting!!

I've been looking for a picture of one of cpartist's pieces with lemonade. It was so long ago that I saw it that I can't remember it well, but I did love it.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wish Vincent could have enjoyed admiration for his work while he lived. We owe thanks too to his brother who believed in him and kept him going.

If you have not seen Kurosawa's film Dreams, there is a part about Van Gogh's art that is touching.

https://youtu.be/3OTj5Qv153U

There's more in the film, this is just a little part that shows details of his work.

• cawaps
    7 years ago

I would happily own almost anything by Rodin.

She who was the helmet-maker's once beautiful wife by Auguste Rodin

kittymoonbeam thanked cawaps
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I adore Modigliani and all of the German Expressionists, but they require far larger room than I have. What I'd love is a Ray Ellis oil of somewhere in Edgartown. He was a wonderful artist and a delightful man. I got to know him at pulmonary rehab on the Vineyard - he was there for cardiac and they're done together.

Here are a few I wish graced my walls.

kittymoonbeam thanked Anglophilia
  • kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Conway Castle by Turner

The Getty put this on display and I stayed in the room over an hour just wanting to look at it. The beautiful color of the pigments over white paper that can never be simulated by printing. The delicate lines of the underdrawing that can only be seen in person. I love so many paintings but this one had a special effect on me. I saw it by accident. I walked into the room and there it was. My perfect watercolor.

Unfortunately, they told me watercolors only come out for a short time to avoid fading.

• eastautumn
    7 years ago

I especially love Fragonard's Young Girl Reading. I still have a small 8 x 10 print I got for $2 from the National Gallery of Art in D.C. back in the '80s.

kittymoonbeam thanked eastautumn
  • fouramblues
    7 years ago

Beautiful, thank you for posting, cpartist! It just makes me feel happy. :)

• clt3
    7 years ago

Saw these in a gallery in Sedona : In case you can't tell, it's woven glass.

Breathtaking!

kittymoonbeam thanked clt3
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

I'll add Edward Hopper, and I would luv to have an Alexander Calder mobile!

kittymoonbeam thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

since it was already stolen by and recovered from the Nazis.

It's the most stolen work of western art ever. The "Righteous Judges" panel was last stolen back in 1934 and never recovered yet. I would love to have seen the whole thing in its original position with the original gothic gold case, which evidently played music when it opened.

(A helpful tip for anyone planning a trip to Ghent. I was fortunate to get some good advice from the manager of the hotel where I was staying in Bruges, that they will not let you stay in the room with the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb long enough to really see it, but there's a reproduction in one of the chapels in the cathedral and you should go look at that first so you can decide what you want to focus on when you see the real thing. Also, I made the mistake of not renting the annoying explanatory banana--I hate those things--and they do let you stay longer if you do that, but they still watch you very suspiciously if you aren't following the program exactly.)

I have to say that I would feel guilty having something like that all to myself, but I would have been very happy if some former Palm Beach clients of mine who had a house like an art museum (they had 20 ft linen-paneled walls to make it easier to switch out the work on display) had left their Childe Hassam to me, although I would have had to move because I doubt it would fit upright in my little house.

I've been very fortunate to have had a chance to see a lot of work by great artists in the wild, as it were, because of my job. It's a totally different experience looking at a Monet in someone's home than it is seeing them captive in art galleries.

kittymoonbeam thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

Love some of the above!

I love almost anything by Maxfield Parrish although this is my favorite I think.

Almost anything by Monet.

I also really love this Klimt:

and this one:

I also would love to own one of David Krakov's pieces:

kittymoonbeam thanked Boopadaboo
  • goodstuf73
    7 years ago

Hoovb - have had this one hanging in my house forever. I didn't realize it was so similar (and probably modeled after) the painting you posted by Sargent. I hung this one prominantly n an very heavy ornate gold frame just because it makes me smile

kittymoonbeam thanked goodstuf73
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Aah, Hoovb, Sargent. I love his work.

kittymoonbeam thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Beautiful, thank you for posting, cpartist! It just makes me feel happy. :)

Actually you made me happy because that's the greatest compliment an artist can receive.

kittymoonbeam thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

had left their Childe Hassam to me

Oh darn! Last night we were at dinner at a favorite restaurant where they have artists working. (I worked there one night too). One of my artist friend's had just completed a painting of NYC and when I looked at it, I kept thinking it looked like a certain artist. Unfortunately, I blanked out on the name, but could see the paintings in my minds eye.

How funny that you post today and sure enough I was trying to think of Childe Hassam.

kittymoonbeam thanked cpartist
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Van Gogh-First Steps

What's not to love? Pure joy for the subject matter and color palette.

Or Kandinsky-Autumn in Bavaria, 1908

kittymoonbeam thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

For all those who like winged victory, here is an alabaster replica on EBTH.com with a current bid of $160, with a few hours left before the bidding closes. It looks a little better in some pictures than others

https://www.ebth.com/items/4982975-replica-statue-of-the-winged-victory-of-samothrace

kittymoonbeam thanked nutsaboutplants
  • texanjana
    7 years ago

I would love to have Bathers at Asnieres by Seurat. I first saw it in London when I was in college. My favorite artist is Gustav Klimt, and I saw many of his works years ago in Vienna and more recently at the Neue Gallerie in NYC, and any of his works would please me. We saw an amazing Turner exhibit at the de Young museum in 2015. His mastery of light is incredible. Other favorites are Van Gogh, Monet, and Matisse. I also would not turn down a Tiffany lamp or window!

Annie, our tour guide in Arles this fall said van Gogh's yellow house was destroyed in world war 2. Is that not correct? We really enjoyed our time there, and also visited the mental hospital where he lived in St Remy and painted so many of his now famous paintings.

kittymoonbeam thanked texanjana
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Yes the yellow house is gone, but the cafe is not.

• sunfeather
    7 years ago

photos to share · More Info

Full Circle by Debra Fritts

kittymoonbeam thanked sunfeather
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

I came across a print -- a mousepad, actually, of a painting by an unknown artist who sold on ebay years ago. I've always wished I'd seen the original before it sold. I don't even know if it was named or if the buyer still has it. I tried to trak down the artist later and was unable to.

There is another we own a print of that DH actually made an inquiry on to see if the original was for sale. It wasn't and I don't expect to ever see it available, but that one too. Neither anywhere near the level of most of these.

kittymoonbeam thanked lascatx
  • sunfeather
    7 years ago

I would love a window or door by glass artist Carol Powell.

photos to share · More Info

kittymoonbeam thanked sunfeather
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

One, just one, of the many Chagall "lovers" paintings.

Lovers over Paris

Under the Lilies

Among Lilac

And also rowing by Kandinsky

kittymoonbeam thanked nosoccermom