SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dealz999

Loud and annoying hum from outside wall of house.

Charles Moon
7 years ago

This problem was somewhat discussed here a few years ago. However, it did not exactly fit my situation. Been in this house for 40 years. Had the electric changed to a 200 amp service in 1990. All has been fine until about 3 weeks ago when it started to get cold around here. While in bed, I started hearing the hum. It was loud and annoying. I isolated it to one spot on the bedroom wall by holding a cup to the wall to pinpoint the spot. The noise dissipates the farther away you move the cup from that spot. On the other side of the wall is outside and in the exact spot were the power cables attach to the house. Having somewhat of an electrical background myself I know what not to touch. I turned off the main breaker and went on the roof. I could not hear the hum outside but my wife could on the inside. We were separated by the distance of a 2X4, and sheet rock. I touched each of the insulated cables one by one. All 3 were actually vibrating along with the metal strap that was attaching them to a hook that was screwed into the roof frame. As I moved my have the opposite direction, the 3 cables became 1 and it too was vibrating. The noise gets worse at night and can actually stop during the day. I had a friend check the connections and all 3 connections were secure and none of which had any sign of heat build up. The main transformer, that supplies about 10 homes, in in the back yard of the house next door. Any ideas?

Comments (11)