SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Digging in the garden: recent activities

Fall is our planting time. Recently the sun has been out, and though we only have eight hours from sunrise to sunset, during the day it has been quite warm. Our unusual winter drought (unlike the many parts of the country that have experienced floods) means that there's no mud and work is pleasant.

We have our usual planting: shrubs--photinia; rooted rose suckers and a few plants in pots (I have way too many mystery roses); privet, rosemary, phlomis, Mexican sage, and my precious tiny rooted myrtle. I want myrtles, which are not planted in the ground much locally, in fact I don't think I'v ever seen one, they being considered too tender. But I have two that have held out for years and through the coldest winter I've seen here. I have a couple of special projects. One is the area we call the Olive Terrace. This is a level, narrow strip of ground that goes off at right angles from the main path of the big garden; it faces south, and has a scrap of woods above and a scrap of olive-planted hillside below, the latter giving it its name. The Olive Terrace came into being years ago when we arbitrarily divided the rocky scrawny hillside in two, cut down a few undesirable trees and planted the olives, then had a load of soil brought in and spread as a terrace, simply to give me a flat spot, a place I didn't have to brace myself to stand. I planted roses along the walk: most of them died; I pulled Bermuda grass: it grew back. I got discouraged and largely ignored the Terrace for a few years, until I noticed that a few surviving plants were doing nicely. Then I got busy. We further leveled and widened the Terrace and added more roses and other plants. There have been casualties (including 'Yellow Mutabilis', which I'm still sour about) but also survivors. The original 'Old Blush' is currently showing how gardenworthy this ancient rose is, and a 'Mlle. Cecile Brunner' planted two years ago is growing nicely. The shrub germander is magnificent. This is a peculiarly protected place, with, I think, potential as a pleasant spot in the winter. We're currently working on further leveling and widening of the Terrace, using simple shovels, buckets, and rakes, and I think will complete the work soon. I'm seriously considering putting my small warm climate roses here, on the outer (downhill) side of the Terrace. The garden is rough on little roses, but they'd be free of competition here. A small red China only two feet tall (it was supposed to be 'Cramoisi Superieur' but isn't), 'Marie Pavie', 'Louis XIV'/'Nigrette', the miniature form of 'Old Blush', would all find room, though they may sit in the propagation beds for another year while the disturbed ground settles down. The ground is unusually light for our land, so I've planted bits of thyme--it's another plant that gets overwhelmed in the garden--and some of my freshly arrived Cyclamen coum tubers under 'Fantin Latour', hoping they'll will be adequately shaded in summer. It has been pleasant working here these last few days.

I also spent a morning down in the woodland garden. I had a bulb shipment from De Warande, and am hoping that the common snowdrops and Cyclamen coum I ordered from them will be the correct varieties: I've had disappointments from a different (Italian) nursery. While I was at it I ordered Solomon's seal, which I can't find in Italy even though it's native, snowflakes, and, optimistically, a few inexpensive daffodils. I can't figure out if De Warande is Dutch, German, or a hybrid of the two, but they were pleasant folks to deal with, with that air of reliability, honesty, and competence that Germans so often give one, along with the amiability of plant lovers. Now I wait and see whether the plants are correct.

I also had some plants in pots to put down there. The Dictamnus albus we dug up last spring at a woodland edge, further up in the hills where I spotted them while on a walk. This pretty plant doesn't grow wild at our elevation, but I don't see why it shouldn't. This is our second attempt: the first time we planted it in too heavy soil and too much shade, and only one puny plant survived. This time they're in lighter soil and part sun. Nearby went a bit of root of lily-of-the-valley, which is invasive for a lot of people but which I've never been able to get started. I keep trying. The Solomon's seal went in the same area. Some years ago this area, with a drainage running through it, was solid brush: we cleared that and after a while began planting: two baby daphnes, both now flourishing; two Loebneri magnolias planted a year ago, which have gone from minute to tiny (I have hopes that next year they'll have advanced to small), a Peonia lutea only hanging on, Edgeworthia, also hanging on, a Daphne mezereum which I had to order from Germany even though it's native to our mountains (the two magnolias came from the same nursery). Another plant I got from the edge of a ditch on one of my walks is Iris graminea, supposedly our only truly native iris, unlike the feral tall bearded iris that one sees growing by the side of the road. This went along the woodland edge close to the Daphne mezereum, which looks tolerably happy in its spot, and I hope will do satisfactorily.

And your projects?

Comments (13)