SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Current/recent garden projects

melissa_thefarm
15 years ago

I know a lot of gardeners are holed up this time of year, hibernating while dreaming of spring or, more realistically, getting to their jobs in the dark or driving their children to the dentist and picking up the groceries on the way. And of course we all know (don't we?) that there's life outside the garden. Here in the hills of Piacenza winter, after forgetting our part of the world for two years, has returned in force: we're currently on our seventh snowfall of the season, and when it isn't snowing, it's usually raining or cold enough to be felt. Real winter, in other words; and spring seems a long way away.

We were smart enough, and lucky enough, to get our roses and shrubs planted by Christmas. Now I'm catching up on cataloging: identifying as many of the numerous mystery roses as I can, and making sure everything I can put a name to has a permanent label on it (Tyvek label written on with pencil). This calls for searching through old orders and sitting by the wood stove writing labels, a pleasant winter activity. Once I have a good sense of what's in the garden, I'll resume updating my master list.

Occasionally we have a day when it's not snowing or raining or icy, and then we can do a little work outside. We've planted most of the big garden and are now terracing. The big garden started as a steep field. I decided it needed some flat spots when I realized that there was no place in the garden where a person could lie down and enjoy the sun or the shade, that person always having to fight gravity. So we made one terrace below the Box Bed by hauling in dirt and leveling it (my husband's strenuous job), with rocks and rosemary on the slope to help hold it in place. Below that comes the second terrace, this a small one dug by my husband and leveled by me. It will be surrounded by a wall of mixed evergreen shrubs and is entered by two sets of steps: one set broad and shallow, the other at the end of a small pergola on which we intend to grow 'Adelaide de Orléans'. I don't know how all this is going to work out, of course; but the terracing (I'm also levelling one of the paths) helps surprisingly to make the collection of beds and plants look more like a garden.

After the latest snow melts we should be able to see the hellebores under the persimmon begin to bloom. Before too long the sarcacocca will come into flower and waft its sweet, slightly sickly scent through the garden; and around March the Daphne odora should open and spread its fragrance: I don't think it will be early this year. The scented violets are already blooming off and on. Meanwhile, and even when May comes and the roses are in full flower, thank Heaven for the forum, for gardening friends, and for the opportunity to share this interest and this joy.

What are you doing in or for the garden this winter, or to help you get through garden deprivation?

Melissa

Comments (7)