SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac92

Chocolate chips galore!

lindac92
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Was stirring around in my baking goods and discovered I have 4 packages of chocolate chips. Other than Toll house cookies and blond brownies...oh and melting them on top of brownies...or toffee...what other suggestions do you have?
Only one package is extra dark 70% the rest are just regular semi sweet bits.

Comments (28)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

Chocolate chip muffins or scones, with a bit of cinnamon added.

Added to banana bread or pumpkin bread.

Mixed with nuts and dried fruit for a quick trail mix snack.

Melt and dip marshmallows in, roll in some seasonally appropriate sprinkles.

ETA: I would consider adding a handful to a cherry clafouti as well.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: chocolate dipped chocolate chip brownines

Q

Comments (1)
    forgot to add to title I was looking for these recipes
    ...See More

Mint Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cookies

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for replying Ricky. I really like mint though, I think I'm going to leave it out completely in half the cookies & put in only about an eighth teaspoon in the remainder & see how I like it, see how it goes.
    ...See More

When & how to plant Chocolate Chip Ajuga

Q

Comments (7)
    There are various ways of removing a lawn....just pick the one that appeals to you and provides results in a timely manner. In that small a space, I'd just use a square edged shovel and skim off the lawn and its roots by scooting the shovel blade under the surface. You can plant the ajuga at any time you can work the soil, although now - midsummer - would be at the bottom of my list. Fall would be a better time or in early spring. Ajuga grows perfectly well here in full sun but then this far north, my sun is not as intense or as hot as it might be in Nashville :-) Morning sun and afternoon shade or light, all-day (filtered shade) is ideal and with enough sun to encourage good blooming. And it dislikes very dry conditions - evenly moist soil is best. 'Chocolate Chip' is a very dwarf and slow to spread cultivar. And develops the best foliage color with a reasonable amount of direct sun.
    ...See More

THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES -- CAPE COD CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks for the project. It gave this stay at home something to do for an afternoon. They are more cake like, and don't have the buttery brown sugar taste of the original Tollhouse recipe. So while they are definitely good, I prefer the Tollhouse version, to which I add a couple of extra tablespoons of flour.
    ...See More
  • party_music50
    7 years ago

When I get the craving, I make my own "candy"... I melt the chocolate chips (I love dark!) then I add whatever sounds good: dried cranberries, nuts, rice krispie cereal, etc., and drop them in mounds/clusters onto waxed paper. I then chill to set, and store in the fridge in sealed containers. They don't last long. :)

• season55
    7 years ago

Cake! Melt chocolate (1/2 cup) and 1/2 cup butter in a double boiler. Take it off and add 3/4 cup sugar. Add 3 eggs. Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min.

• pkramer60
    7 years ago

I often use them in a bowl of granola for breakfast. I think they would be good in oatmeal too.

• User
    7 years ago

Christmas Crack

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

I use the extra dark (bittersweet) 70% cacao for chocolate pie. If they're sweetened, just cut back on the other sugar in the recipe.

• sheesh
    7 years ago

Seasons, is that a flourless chocolate cake? What is the texture like? Sounds delightfully chocolatey!

• season55
    7 years ago

Sheesh,

it is a flourless cake. It's wonderful because I'm gluten free now. It's really Chocolatey, perfect for chocolate lovers! It's very rich and decadent. It's not as light as normal cakes because it dose not contain gluten, but I've brought it to several occasions and it was a real crowd pleaser. Perfect with a chocolate ganache on top. It's sooooooo good!!!!!!

• sheesh
    7 years ago

Thanks, Seasons. It sounds rich and gooey, just the way I like it. Thanks. Like lindac, I have a ton of chips to use.

• lindac92
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Think I just might have a handful....as a bed time snack, since I have not yet baked anything.

• annie1992
    7 years ago

Gee, that never seems to be a problem at my house, something about Grandkids and pancakes and snacks and cookies and muffins.

Right now I have 4 bags of chocolate, 4 bags of peanut butter and 4 bags of vanilla chips. I'm using them all for fudge, along with 12 jars of marshmallow cream and a couple of bags of pecans and walnuts....

Annie

• partst
    7 years ago

Melt 3 cups chocolate chips, I usually use the dark, one can sweetened condensed milk in the microwave
    stir to mix add ½ cup Bailey’s Irish cream ½ tsp. vanilla mix again. Spread it
    out in an aluminum foil lined 8x8 pan refrigerates for a few hours turn it out cut
    in squares and enjoy. I sometimes add chopped walnuts.

• ovenbird
    7 years ago

Season55, what size pan do you use for the chocolate cake? It sounds very good!

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

I just remembered. Chocolate Chip Banana Cake is one of my favorites.

• season55
    7 years ago

Ovenbird,

i use a 9x9 pan. Make sure to butter it well.

Complete recipe:

ingredients:

1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate

1/2 cup butter (unsalted or salted)

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup cocoa powder

directions:

1. In a double boiler melt butter and chocolate until smooth. Pull off heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in sugar. Add 3 eggs, one at a time until completely incorporated. Add cocoa powder.

2. Butter a 9x9 cake pan with butter. Pour batter in and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

you have to try it with a chocolate ganache on top!!!!!!!!!!

• season55
    7 years ago

Here is a pic:

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

chocolate chip pancakes? My favorite way is stick a spoon in peanut butter (my jar. No one else uses this one), and then dip the spoon into the chips. Weird, but there you have "me"!

• ruthanna_gw
    7 years ago

This recipe uses unsweetened chocolate, chocolate chips and cocoa powder to produce a delicious cookie that I've made many times for parties and bake sales. Chocolate Truffle Cookies

My notes: I only chill dough about 1 1/2 - 2 hours before shaping into balls. Balls can be frozen; then defrosted and baked at a later date. I bake on parchment paper and always do a couple of test cookies first to make sure they don't burn on the bottom. I use a tea strainer with teaspoon to lightly dust the cookies with conf. sugar. Here's the finished product:

• ruthanna_gw
    7 years ago

I prefer using the chopped nuts instead of the chocolate coating.

ORANGE CHOCOLATE MELTAWAYS

1 pkg. (11-1/2 oz.) milk chocolate chips
    1 cup (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    3/4 cup whipping cream
    1 tsp. grated orange peel
    2-1/2 tsp. orange extract
    1-1/2 cups finely chopped toasted pecans

Coating:
    1 cup (6 oz.) milk chocolate chips
    2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening

Place chocolate chips in a mixing bowl; set aside. In a saucepan, bring cream and orange peel to a gentle boil; immediately pour over chips. Let stand for 1 minutes; whisk until smooth. Add the extract. Cover and chill 35 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Beat for 10-15 seconds or just until mixture lightens in color (do not over beat). Spoon rounded teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover and chill for 5 minutes. Gently shape into balls; roll half the balls in pecans. In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate for coating and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip remaining balls in chocolate coating. Place on waxed paper to harden. Store in refrigerator. YIELD: 6 dozen.

• User
    7 years ago

Heat with milk for hot chocolate.

• pqtex
    7 years ago

Here is one of my favorite cookie recipes...Ultimate Double Chocolate Cookies! It has very little flour, but the cookie is a wonderful chocolatey thing of beauty! It calls for a combination of bittersweet and semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I have mixed and matched with whatever I had on hand, including some salted caramel chips. It always turns out delicious!

Ingredients

12 ounces Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (contains milk)
    10 ounces Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
    6 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

In double boiler over hot water, melt bittersweet
    chocolate chips and butter. In large bowl with electric mixer or whisk,
    beat eggs and sugar until thick; stir into chocolate mixture. In small
    bowl, stir together flour and baking powder; stir into chocolate
    mixture. Gently mix in semi-sweet chocolate chips and walnuts. Using a
    sheet of plastic wrap, form dough into two logs, each 2 inches in
    diameter and about 12 inches long. As dough will be quite soft, use
    plastic wrap to hold dough in log shape. Wrap tightly; refrigerate at
    least 1 hour or until firm. Heat oven to 375°F. Unwrap dough; with sharp
    knife, cut into 3/4 inch slices. Place slices 1 1/2
    inches apart on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 14
    minutes or until shiny crust forms on top but interior is still soft.
    Cool on baking sheet; store in airtight tin up to 1 week.

NOTE: I do NOT wrap in plastic wrap (it sticks and didn't work). I dropped and baked my cookies immediately, refrigerated the rest in the bowl. Used a cookie scoop for the refrigerated ones later.

https://www.ghirardelli.com/recipes/ultimate-double-chocolate-cookies/#8zlr78bH2IvorYhx.97

Jill in Texas

• anoriginal
    7 years ago

Chocolate chips pretty much never go "bad", so I'll always buy them when on sale. They'll eventually get used for something. If they develop that gray thing on outside... that's fine.

Try Trisha Yearwood's recipe for what her nephews called "crack"... addictive. Only a few ingredients. Foil lined baking sheet with single layer of "saltines"... I was successful with round Ritz. Butter and brown sugar, cooked a bit on stove top and then poured evenly over crackers. Baking sheet into oven for a while and chocolate chips scattered over top when HOT... smeared around with spatula when melted. Cooled'chilled till chocolate hardens and broken into chunks. Specific amounts, oven temps and times are just a google away.

• season55
    7 years ago

Sherry and ovenbird,

i made the cake again today! Some friends are coming over later today so I'm going to serve if then!

ovenbird,

hopefully you saw my post above!

• ovenbird
    7 years ago

season55, thanks for the baking info. Yum, that cake looks delish with the ganache!

• season55
    7 years ago

Yep no problem. Here is a photo of the one I made today

• sheesh
    7 years ago

Oh, how I wish we were having guests today! I'll have to wait or I'll eat the whole thing myself. I know I would.

• season55
    7 years ago

Haha. Yep! It is incredibly rich. It was a big succes! The friends loved it!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living