SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironmike_usmc

Orange Hot Pepper Jam (NOT Marmalade)?

MikeUSMC
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Please don't scold me ;) (Then again, if it's warranted, feel free, haha!) I understand that inventing your own canning recipes is a huge "no no," buuuuuutttttt......

I've made several hot pepper jellies/jams over the past few years; mostly berry flavored. I haven't made an orange flavored one yet, but it's something I'm looking forward to trying.

I'm not even sure if I've ever had orange marmalade before, but a lot of the reviews (of any recipes) sound like they come out quite bitter (due to the rind being left in?) I'm definitely aiming for a sweeter final product (like jam, jelly, preserves, fruit spread- whatever you'd like to call it).

I don't think final pH would be a problem (but I'll absolutely check it anyway), but was wondering to hear some of your thoughts on this proposed recipe (yes, I understand that this is done at my own risk):

Orange Hot Pepper Jam

•4 cups diced orange segments (actually, I'll be using clementines- without peel, rind/pith removed)

•2 diced lemons (without peel, rind/pith removed)

•1 dehydrated yellow superhot pepper (probably a "7 Pot" variety), rehydrated in bottled lemon juice

•3 3/4- 4 cups granulated sugar

•pectin* (liquid/powdered?, any idea how much to get it to set? Typically, I use 4 TBSP powdered in my berry jams to get a good set)

I plan to process as you would any other type of jam; bring fruit to boil, reduce heat then simmer until fruit softens, add sugar, pectin, back to a rolling boil, etc., then BWB for 10 minutes (adjust for altitude) in 1/2 pint jars.

Does anyone see any reason this wouldn't work (besides not being an "approved" recipe)?

I feel like the folks over at the hot pepper side (myself included!) have taken it easy on you Harvest "gurus" so far this year, haha! It's already December, and I haven't seen a single recipe come over here to be screened! Usually, the questions start out something like: "So, I found this hot sauce recipe, but wanted to add 'a few' changes...." Three steps in, you realize that you ended up with meatloaf (or something, you get the idea) being stuffed into pint jars, followed by "Is this still safe?" :)

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Mike

Comments (8)