SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alaundry

Speed Queen Top Loader Load Size

alaundry
7 years ago

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while trying to solve a few issues with my laundry. The pre-existing threads have been helpful, (thanks Dadoes, for mentioning how to wash the sheets), but I still have some questions about my new speed queen.

I have model AWN432, which is to say speed queens top loader with electromechanical controls circa 2015, if that makes any difference.

It's probably more relevant to say that my model is young enough to have the DOE water restrictions.

I am really struggling to figure out what makes a full load in my queen. Particularly towels and clothes. The manufacturer said to only fill the tub two thirds of the way when it came to clothes, but doing this had me washing about 4 pounds on an extra large load, they never really got clean at that level.

So my question is how many pounds do the speed queen owners put in a load here on the forum? Or, failing that, what method do you use to determine when the tub is full? Since I know I'm talking to a group of wonderfully detail oriented people, the type of clothing I wash most often, and have the most trouble with, are thin cotton knits. Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare the time to answer.

Comments (38)

• nerdyshopper
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure there was a thread with a youtube video that showed how simple it is to move an internal switch to the full fill position. Do a search, or maybe one of the old timers will know the link and post it again. You have to open the control panel and just push a little tab, if I recall. OK I found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHO1bPnlUU

Hope it helps you.

alaundry thanked nerdyshopper
  • wekick
    7 years ago

You can adjust your fill. There are videos on YouTube that will show you how to do this. I fill to the top row of holes

I just drop lightly and evenly what I going to wash, erring to under fill. I put enough clothes/towelsto be just under the top row but careful not to pack. I fill the water up all the way for a full load no matter what it is. That is why I bought the machine. If smaller loads, I fill to cover plus a little more.

I use warm-->hot water and Persil 2 in 1 liquid to pretreat any spots I think need it. I don't need to pretreat cuffs and collars on white shirts anymore using the Persil 2 in 1 in the wash but I do pretreat cooking oil splatters and armpits on my husbands white T shirts even if I am using another detergent.

• Related Discussions

Mamapinky....OMG, I want a top loading SpeedQueen

Q

Comments (35)
    rgreen48 - Your posts are just plain old bullying, and this forum does not appreciate that kind of aggressive and oppressive behavior. These forums are a community of regulars who often come in to chat, get information, and help each other out. They do not come here to be attacked. I've never found any of the fine people here to be small minded or be dismissive of opposing opinions. In fact, I've witnessed and participated in lively debate where the positive expression of opinions has opened others' eyes about a given subject. However, when you engage in name calling, belittling and putting others down, you will lose your audience and your message will never reach those whose minds you are trying to influence. For what it's worth, I own a FL washer (yes, a water saver), I am completely satisfied with how it cleans and I don't need a machine that sloshes clothes around in a tub of water. But you've even ostracized me from listening to your rants because of your belligerent approach. BTW - this forum has an informal rule to not "hijack" another person's thread with a different topic. If you want to debate water saving washers vs. water hogs, start your own thread.
    ...See More

Speed Queen top loader- buttons or dial?

Q

Comments (6)
    We have about a dozen of the ones with a mechanical dial. They have been going, some as long as 10-12 years with no problems and they are used heavily in a commercial environment. I think either would be good, but read the manuals online and look carefully at the features. One thing I like about the mechanical one is that I can change things around mid cycle. I am not sure how that works on the electronic one.
    ...See More

Speed Queen Top Loaders

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks! Looks like the new TR model removes the induction motor and other features and there's now less advantage to buying one versus other brands. Open to recommendations. What I'm looking for is a top load (agitator or non agitator ok) with full water cycles washes and rinses (fills the entire tub with water for wash and rinse) that's gentle on clothes. Not up to reprogramming machine or circuit board to override factory setting like some folks do. Looks like what I want is a Speed Queen AWNE92SP113TW01 and gas version of the Speed Queen ADE3SRGS173TW01. In other words a 2016 or early 2017 pre changes model. But those will be tough to find. Thanks!
    ...See More

Which Speed Queen Top-Load Washer?

Q

Comments (35)
    We bought the TC5 late last month and I love it so much! It replaced a GE front loader that was only 3 years old. I love doing laundry now - our clothes and towels are a lot softer and smell cleaner, even without using a detergent with any fragrance. It washes so quickly and things have just come out really clean. I love it and won't go back to anything else. We also got the 10yr warranty with it through the end of the year. The 2018 TR models got terrible reviews, I'd definitely stay away from those. For the TC5, if you have it on Normal Eco it only washes on cold and with less water. The other cycles use more water and any temp. We wash almost everything on the bulky cycle with warm water and it fills up about 3/4 with water. We've used the deep fill option a handful of times. I do about 8-10 loads or more a week. I recommend!
    ...See More
  • alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, I've used the reset knob but I'm still often unhappy my wash...I think part of the problem is having to use the extra rinse and long wash time for my allergies sake, seems harder on clothes than the normal setting with one rinse, you know? I'll try filling to the top again and see if it comes out without holes though.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Wash on heavy duty/normal cycle..turn other knob to add fabric softener I think that's what its called..set you water level to high...your machine will fill full. This also allows for a true hot wash.... Only way its not going to do a full deep wash and rinse is if you choose the eco cycle.

As for pounds of clothes..you will have to load and watch after it starts washing..watch for the turn over and you will get a idea how much you can wash.

• mrb6228
    7 years ago

Your machine should be able to easily handle a 16-18 pound load of clothes. You may need to post a couple pictures of what you are doing to give members a better idea of your issues.

MRB

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Pics would be good...I know this machine has a full fill wash and a full fill rinse and true hot.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

Measured weight/pounds is not so much relevant as circulation of the
    items during agitation ... which is more related to how much room or
    volume of space a given load requires.

Say that a machine is rated for a 12lb load. 12 lbs of jeans or bath towels is less volume of fabric than 12 lbs of nylon hosery. Stuffing literal 12 lbs of nylons into the machine wouldn't work very well!I've noticed that people tend to underload
    their topload washers (based on numerous YouTube videos) in an apparent
    attempt to get rapid/frantic rollover, which isn't necessary.

The
    video mrb6228 linked above is a good example of a proper full load.

alaundry thanked dadoes
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Nerdy I'm trying to understand why a SQ TL would need a tweek to fill fuller...the AWN432 fills dang near full and if a bit more is needed and I can't see why more would be needed there's a reset switch..just hold it over and you'll get more water. Thing is don't use the eco cycle.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Dadoes, the video you posted is a very good example of proper loading. This will probably be helpful to a lot of folks.

• alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nerdy, I am very hesitant to open up my machine, but I have given it some serious consideration. I'd lose my warranty, but it turns out the warranty technicians in my area refuse me service anyway, so we'll see I guess.

mamapinky I'm happy to post photos, but I haven't thought to take any yet, and I don't have enough to wash at the moment.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

alaundry, clothes in the machine aren't necessary to see the water fill-level. You can post a picture of the full-fill level you get without any clothes ... unless you don't want to waste a fill of water to get the pic.

Keep in mind that the entire water level range is affected by adjusting the screw on the pressure switch ... so raising the high level also raises the low level. It's more facilitating in that respect to use the Reset function to get more water when needed instead of "permanently" adjusting the switch, although you'd need to add more water again for the rinse.

alaundry thanked dadoes
  • alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mrb thanks so much for the video, there's a ton on YouTube, so I didn't really know which one to trust. Someone at alliance laundry did tell me my machine is rated for 18 pounds of laundry, but at least with the lighter stuff that people down here on the gulf coast favor, I don't think the lid close properly over that much laundry.

dadoes yes, mass does not equal volume, but I was never sure how much turnover to look for in this machine and the manufacturers two thirds rule kind of failed me. Also, I am definitely prone to under load, was just getting the hang of my last top loader before I had to replace it with this machine.

I'd be happier to do less laundry by putting more in the tub, but with this machine when I start adding in amounts similar to what's in the video I end up with visible wear and tear on my clothes at the end of the cycle. As I mentioned up thread, I do have some pretty severe allergies, I end up having to use the extra rinse on every load. I've been wondering if increasing the agitation time by adding an extra rinse is part of my problem? There's really nothing I can do about it, but it sure would be helpful to know for sure.

• alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

dadoes I didn't realize you just wanted to see the water fill level. Honestly, I've wasted so much water re-washing clothes that didn't come clean, I can't see the harm of one more tub full at this point. It's filling right now, back in a few.

• alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here it is on the highest setting.

Also, thanks for mentioning that changing the fill level would change the lower cycles to. I had wondered about that. I don't think that's really going to work for me, I do think I'll do a little work on the lid lock though. There's no children in my home. Just a clothes pin, right?

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Yep just a clothspin....your water level looks right...but if you need more for a large load Just hold the reset button...no sense in getting into the machine for this and it would void warrenty.. for rinse make sure that option that says use fabric softener is on than you get a full fill rinse otherwise you get a spray rinse.

• alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mamapinky my model doesn't have a fabric softener knob, it does give a full tub rents on the heavy duty cycle, I've checked. Also, I think alliance may have fixed the lid lock fix. I can't find anything underneath my drain hose.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

Your water level is lower than that of the machine in the video ... which probably is a slightly older model. Simply use Reset to get more water when needed.

I suppose extra rinses are required for people with allergies and chemical sensitivities ... but as was pointed out by a long-time service tech I know (again) in a discussion just today, every two loads with an extra rinse is the equivalent of having run three loads. Washers are mechanical devices that have an expected service life based on the number of loads run. Extra rinses cut the service life of the machine by approx 1/3.

• alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yep, lol. I've done that depressing math before. My hope is that with the speed queen being designed after the immortal top loaders of yore, I'll be able to replace something large after its first catastrophic failure and enjoy another 10 years from it. Honestly, I'm not completely against FLs, I just have really terrible mold allergies, and so many front loaders aren't all that good with getting out detergent residue. I won't have done myself much good if I have to use three or five extras rinses instead of one.

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

Alaundry, that is the same fill level that I get with my 6 yr. old AWN 412. As mentioned above, I use the reset knob to add water when I have an extra large load. Rarely do as I'm doing laundry for only 3 people now.

With a scuzzy load and with whites loads, I always stop the washer during the wash cycle and allow the clothes to soak...anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight. That gives the enzymes in the detergent time to do their magic and can reduce how long the clothing needs to 'agitate'. Also, I've read that oxygen bleaches, like Oxi-clean, remain active for up to 6 hours so I've reasoned that one might as well give them the time to work.

I haven't had any problems with 'extra wear' on clothing with the SQ. However, I do turn some clothing inside out before the wash. Jeans and some of the nicer knits. And use mesh bags for delicates.

I seldom use an extra rinse. Only if I've overdosed w/ detergent. I don't have an extra rinse option on the AWN 412 so I have physically turn the dial to the rinse setting after a load completes to get the extra rinse anyway.

I'm assuming that you're using an anti-allergen detergent? That might be part of the issue if your clothing isn't getting clean...i.e., the detergent may not have the cleaning power of a Tide or Persil. Allowing the clothing to soak ought to help some with that problem as well as rigorously pre-treating stains.

alaundry thanked ci_lantro
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I had the AWN432 as an extra rinse on my asthmatic kids things once it was finished I turned the dial around and did an eco rinse.

• alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ci_lantro when you do long soaks do you still turn the timer to maximum time for your extra dirty loads? Also, I deal with some pretty greasy laundry, do your dirty loads leave a film on the agitator when you soak them? I might be underdosing the detergent, I'm not sure.

I've recently changed detergents and the one I'm using now is the most powerful detergent I've ever tried. It doesn't have enzymes but it does work for my allergies. I've had to change so many times in the past years that if this one doesn't work I might be down but using hot water. My concern up thread was that the wear might have to do with using the extra rinse, then again, I think those little holes can come from under loading as easily as overloading, so hopefully that's the issue.

mamapinky0 I am using the full tub extra rinse, to remove the most detergent possible.

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

Extra dirty? Depends on just how dirty but, after the soak, I might let it agitate for a bit and then move the dial to the final drain & spin (no rinse) and then refill the machine and add a bit more detergent and leave it to advance through the cycle normally.

Greasy loads, I don't have but once in a blue moon. I would pretreat, wash as outlined above and add some non-sudsing ammonia. If there is a film left on the agitator, I would rewash.

IMO, the problem with those small holes in knits is in large part due to the poor quality of textiles, especially cottons.

• wekick
    7 years ago

If I have extra heavy soiling I sometimes run it through a wash and rinse and then a wash and double rinse.

My kids used to have really bad allergies and in the winter, they were so sensitive I used to use Ivory (old soap formula) and Calgon water softener, old formula(sodium hexametaphosphate). I double rinsed using a little of the Calgon in the first rinse to increase the solubility of the soap/detergent residue. I followed this with a clean rinse.

I think the stpp(sodium tripolyphosphate) , recommended here would work in a similar way but you can buy sodium hexametaphosphate.

http://www.needs.com/product/Miracle_Cleaner_Miracle_Cleaner_5/d_Laundry_Booters

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Heavily soiled clothes will benefit from a prewash. This will get rid of a lot of muck...a single wash with heavy soils will not be enough to clean. The clothes will be soiled enough to fill the wash water with soil which is just being flushed into the opened fibers...the end result will be soiled laundry. I agree you will have better luck with adding STPP into your main wash. If allergies are a problem add STPP also to your first rinse.

• mrb6228
    7 years ago

The water level in your picture is correct for that model machine. On the Normal/ECO cycle, agitation starts at that level. Then, a timed amount of water at the selected temperature is added which would raise the water level by a certain amount. If the water level switch is adjusted to bring the water level to the top, please be aware that an overflow condition may result in Normal/ECO as an additional amount of water is added after the switch has been satisfied.

MRB

• mrb6228
    7 years ago

Here is a video from Speed Queen that explains the ECO action.

Malcolm

• alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wekick thanks for the link, I already use a complex phosphate in my wash, nothing would be hypoallergenic enough for me without it, but I might buy that bulk bag for around the house. I'm allergic to so many different cleaning products and end up having to mix my own.

Ci_lantro, I try and buy sturdier knits, but at this point, my laundry has been through a lot of rewashing. I'll keep in mind, though.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Alaundry...good to read about someone understanding the benefits of a complex phosphate.

alaundry thanked mamapinky0
  • alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mamapinky0 that's good to know, here I thought I was doing something wrong having to rewash. I use a tablespoon of complex phosphate in the main wash, Should I split it into half for the main wash and half of the first rinse, or just add more to the first rinse?

• alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

MRB, that is very helpful to know. I never use the normal wash, it doesn't remove enough detergent for me as mentioned up thread, but hearing about how it affects other cycle levels has already turned me off making that tweak to the machine.

Also, I've seen that video, doesn't seem like the product Trainer follows the two thirds rule, does it? Insert eye roll here. I suppose that load could be something other than clothes,( which they don't say should be loaded that low when you call in to alliance),but that's really what it looks like.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Dosing phosphates correctly can be tricky, I always say if your going to use it you may as well dose correctly if you expect results LOL

The easiest way to find out how much is the correct amount for you, because it will differ based on wster hardness and amount of waterr being used..is start your load of laundry, losd the clothes, add the water, but dont add the detergent..add the phosphate first whatever amount you have been using, let it agitate for a minute than feel the water..it should feel slippery, if not add more let agitate and feel again..once it feels slippery remember the amount you used....if the water isn't slippery than enough wasnt added to condition the water which means the benefits of the phosphate arnt there.

I would add the same amount to your first rinse as you add to the wash cycle.

Since you deal with greasy laundry I recommend a prewash to get rid of some of the muck first. Dont use phosphates in your prewash, but do add a small amount of detergent.

• mrb6228
    7 years ago

There is a 2/3rds rule for TL machines?

MRB

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Yep and I have used it in the past 1/3'd part phosphates to 2/3'd parts of powder detergent by weight..I don't weigh them.

• mrb6228
    7 years ago

"Also, I've seen that video, doesn't seem like the product Trainer follows the two thirds rule, does it? Insert eye roll here. I suppose that load could be something other than clothes,( which they don't say should be loaded that low when you call in to alliance),but that's really what it looks like."

MRB

• wekick
    7 years ago

MP0

"Dont use phosphates in your prewash, but do add a small amount of detergent"

i am curious as to why you would leave the phosphates out of the pre wash?

I load my SQ so that when it agitates, you can see the clothes turning over. It is more than 2/3 full.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I just figured since its a prewash and phosphates arnt cheap you could see some small savings. It won't hurt to add them to the prewash indeed it can only help

alaundry thanked mamapinky0
  • alaundry
    Original Author
    7 years ago

MRB, we kick, in case I didn't mention further up thread, when I initially had problems getting the speed queen properly loaded after reading my manual I called into alliance laundry, several times in fact, and I was frequently told that I should only fill the tub two thirds full when I was washing clothing, because it needed more water than other types of linens. I had some installation issues that meant I got to talk to the engineers at alliance, I thought to ask one how he determined a full load and he said he always tells people to make sure there's 2 inches of water over the clothing, also emphasizing the clothing requires more water than say, towels. I admit, having a 4 pound load of T-shirts and the like running on the extra large setting treats the clothing very gently, but I had odor issues suggesting there wasn't enough agitation to actually get them clean.