SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solarity

Adding another Garage Bay

solarity
7 years ago

I have a simple 1979 boxy colonial track home w/ an attached 2 car garage on a culdasac. My wife has a large sedan and I have an midsize SUV and I am looking at up sizing to a F-150 pickup.

As it is I don't park much inside as it is annoying getting to storage in the garage, pulling out the trash can, pulling out the mower, and pulling out bicycles. If I park my SUV in the garage, we have to back my wife's car out to get the baby into the car. It is very tight.

I am thinking about attaching a 3rd bay to the garage and making a bump out in the back so I can pull a truck all the way and have room for someone to walk around one side of it w/ the garage door closed. Was thinking of a slanted roof coming off the wall, instead of extending the existing roof line.

My wife could park her sedan in the new bay and use the main bay for my future truck, mower, bikes, storage, and staging area for projects.

As most of the houses in my area have only two garages, I am worried it might look odd having a 3 car garage or the garage might look to big for the house. We have really made this house our own by DIY renovating two bathrooms, kitchen, and a gut job of the finished basement. My wife seems also annoyed at how the garage of the compact/gas crisis era is very limiting.

What do you guys think and is there a way I can do this and make it look nice?

Comment (1)