SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgoodish

Garage -- Adding 3-way switch

jgoodish
16 years ago

I have a side-entry, 2 bay, integral garage in my house. The garage ceiling is drywall, as is the firewall between the garage and the basement. I have two garage door openers and interior lighting in the garage. There is an exterior man door on one side of the garage, and an interior man door that leads from the garage to the basement. I suspect that this is a fairly typical configuration for integral garages.

There is a 3 gang switch box mounted next to the interior man door between the garage and basement area. The box contains a switch for the garage interior lights, the garage exterior lights, and the exterior flood lights. Hot comes into the box and is middle-stripped between all three switches, and then a pass-through hot is backstabbed out of each switch to service the basement lighting and each garage door opener. Personally, I don't care for this arrangement, but I didn't wire the house.

My problem is that there is no switch near the exterior man door to control the interior garage lighting. As a result, when you enter the garage through the exterior man door and the garage doors are down, there is insufficient lighting to safely make your way through the garage to reach the switch next to the interior door. It seems that the best solution to the problem is to add a switch to the garage interior lighting circuit next to the exterior man door.

However...

I can only think of two ways to accomplish this task. Run everything in conduit and surface-mount, or strategically cut the drywall ceiling in the garage (with appropriate repairs afterwards) so that I can fish the 14/3 cable through the ceiling. If I were to do the latter, I would have to fish it down the joists to the middle of the garage, where a steel I-beam runs the length of the house (and perpendicular to the joists). I could then run the cable along the I-beam, into the unfinished basement, and drop it down through the firewall where the existing wiring travels to the box next to the interior door. My only other concern with this plan is box fill on the 3 gang box (46cu in).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything else that I might be missing?

JKG

Comments (3)