SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andi_chou

Modifying 5-1-1 mix for container lychee in Houston

Andi C
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm looking to modify the 5-1-1 mix for growing container lychee in Houston. The 5-1-1 mix seems like a very good start for lychees. they love water, well draining soil, aeration.

i would like to have a soil that can hold more moisture and more acidic soil

I'm considering replacing perlite with sphagnum peat moss, so my question would be:

1. what happens with adding more peat moss?

2. what happens with removing perlite? the perlite I have access to is not course, most of it is about 2 mm.

3. does more peat moss affect soil temperature (in summer or winter)?

My guess is that adding the peat moss should make the soil more acidic, hold more water but will it decrease aeration and drainage? will it also move up the PWT?

lychees also need slightly acidic soil, exact pH varies between sources, but I think i want to shoot for lower side of a 5.5-6.5 range.

i also need a soil that will never need to be watered twice a day. have rain barrels catching water because city water pH is 7.5 and fairly high Calcium.

The containers will be in 20 gallon black injection molded planters. the canopy will get partial sunlight during sunrise and sunset, but full sun the rest of the day. so, it's going to be hot in the summer. if needed, I might be willing to move the trees to receive partial shade during mid day.

for those in Houston, I found pine bark fines, sold as Soil conditioner (Lanscapers Pride brand). Southwest fertilizer had them but I needed to ask for it since it was hidden out back.

unsifted. penny in the middle for scale.

Comments (9)