SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turner58800

Living room layout help please!

turner58800
7 years ago

Hello! My husband and I moved into our new home about a year ago. We are finally in a position to buy new furniture and are looking for some help. Our house kitchen, dining room, and living room are very open to each other and are only divided by a fireplace (the back of which houses the refrigerator and some upper cabinets). Ideally in the future we would either move, or remove the fireplace and replace with a kitchen island with seating. Also considering taking basement railing out and replace with either a half wall or full wall for more storage and options.

Problems we would like to find solutions for:

-walk throughs make it difficult to arrange furniture

-size of room is quite large

-fireplace being across from front door makes it difficult to pick focal point

-no foyer, front door walks right into middle of room

-would like to make it family friendly i.e. good layout and safe for children possible play space

- would like to make it friendly towards entertaining

Drawing should be close to scale, note fireplace is the wall between living room and kitchen, program didn't have that option.

Picture are after painting before moving in.

We currently have the TV and some short bookshelves against basement railing with couch on opposite wall. A rug that goes almost to front door and two chairs in front of windows. We like the openness, however it feels quite far from TV and not really working.

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated!! I will share some options we are considering in comments. Open to all suggestions!

Comments (5)