SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amjad_talib

Direct breeze for Pachira Aquatica (Money Tree)? Need Advice!

Amjad Talib
7 years ago

Hello!

Video of Fan Action

So I bought one of these plants for my dorm room back in October, and it's been doing pretty well. Definitely sprouting new shoots and looking green so far. I haven't repotted it, yet. I have a few questions, my main one on the direct fan placement.

My dorm is pretty much a little stuffy box that doesn't get much circulation; worse yet, the dorm was originally built around 1910 and the radiators are far from controllable, which means it can get very hot in here.

So I decided to get a fan tower and the best placement for it (at least my first preference) is right in front of the radiator and window, but right behind the plant...
The tower is programmable and has a very soft "whisper" setting, which I have it set to now. I also set it to 70 degrees and to rotate. I actually quite like the effect it has on the leaves of the plant, making them do a little jittery dance each time it comes around.

I guess my primary concern is that this indefinite artificial breeze may stress the plant out or have generally detrimental effects. The only other thing I can think of is that it might cause the plant to dry out faster, which I hope is countered by being adjacent to an aquarium and a water-collection system I set up.

The pot the plant originally came in has four drainage holes on the side towards the bottom. I bought one of those clear plastic water-trays (more like a bowl) and put a layer of pebbles on the bottom. Then I put a coconut husk over that and put the pot on top, with more pebbles in between the pot and husk on the sides. I hope that's clear to interpret.

So far, I watered it twice and the moisture level remained pretty solid down there for 3 weeks. I think I over watered the first time and some of the leaves started falling off so I haven't yet again. Probably will tomorrow. One of the trunks did not survive and was rotting so I pulled it out recently (now there's a bit of a hole where it once was).

Sorry for the overly detailed post, hope the pictures help make things clear. Again, my main question: will the fan be okay there, or will it need some adjusting. Thanks for the help!

Comments (7)