Are You Baking or Cooking Something For The Weekend?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
Related Discussions
Are You Baking For The Weekend?
Comments (18)Made some ginger snaps Saturday. I call them 'ginger bends' as they aren't very hard. I always put lots of chopped crystalized ginger in them, plus more ground ginger than called for, plus whatever spicy season is in my cupboard that turns me on. Put some cayenne pepper in this time, which I've done before, but I think I may have gone a little overboard this time. Still pretty darned good....See MoreDid You Do Any Baking For the Weekend?
Comments (36)Sally, Ann T's chocolate meringue cookies are good and have no flour, so they can easily be made gluten free using the appropriate ingredients. Macarons are also naturally gluten free, made with almond meal, but they are fussy. I can also heartily recommend this lemon bar recipe, I made it for Amanda and it was so good that no one even knew it was gluten free. She had to sneak a couple to hold back so she'd have some for her work snack! I got it from a blog called "Faithfully Gluten Free". Gluten Free Lemon Bars (the Way Lemon Bars Should Be) Author: Jeanine Friesen Ingredients For the crust: 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature 1/2 cup granulated sugar 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (see Note) 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum pinch salt For the Filling: 7 large eggs, at room temperature 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4-6 lemons) 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I needed 6 lemons to get 1 cup) 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (see NOTE) Confectioners' Sugar for dusting Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, so the paper rises up the sides (I had it run up the 13" sides, and left the 9" sides bare). (This will make removing the squares much easier, as you can lift them out once they are cooled.) For the crust, in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour & salt, and slowly add to the butter/sugar mixture while the mixer is on low. Mix just until it is combined. Dump the dough into your 9x13-inch pan, and using hands dusted with gluten-free flour, press the dough evenly over the bottom of the pan, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Leave the oven on. While the crust is baking, you can prepare the filling. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and gluten-free flour. Pour over your pre-baked crust and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature. To remove from pan, cut along 9" edges, and use the parchment paper to lift the bars out to a cutting board. Using a sifter or wire sieve, dust the top of the bars with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares, and serve. Notes The all-purpose gluten-free flour mix that I use is from Cybele Pascal. It is as follows: 4 cups superfine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cups potato starch (not flour), 2/3 cup tapioca starch. Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. I used King Arthur's gluten free flour mix, as that's all I had on hand. They turned out nicely moist, extremely lemon-y and altogether delicious. Annie...See MoreAre You Baking This Weekend?
Comments (13)I'm working on food for a baby shower my DD is hosting tomorrow afternoon. Today I baked cupcakes and brownies, pate a choux, and a salmon filet for mousse. When the salmon was 10 minutes away from being done, the electric went off, so I left it in with the door closed, and it was fine. The mousse is chillin' in the fridge. While the salmon baked, I was pounding butter for puff pastry, so I stuck that in the freezer, after being assured by the voice on the phone, that the electric would be back on within the hour. Tomorrow I will bake egg puffs, cream horns, and pastry sticks to go with the mousse. The choux will be crisped in the oven before being filled with cream cheese and ham spread. I'll fill the cream horns and frost the cupcakes, in between rolling and baking. I also plan to make a fruit-filled watermelon 'baby carriage', for a centerpiece, and slice cucumber chips for the mousse. My DD volunteered to make individual hummus and veggie cups, and the lemonade. It's almost time to roll out the puff pastry again, and I just noticed that the battery icon on my laptop has a red X on it, as if it isn't charging. I hope the power outage didn't fry my battery--this might be the last time you hear from me for a while. :[...See MoreDid You Bake This Weekend?
Comments (28)Raven, rhubarb is not sweet, in fact it is quite sour. ! cup diced has just 6 grams of carbs. Many won't eat it because it takes a good bit of sweetener to make it tasty such as in sauce or a pie. But, compare the carbs in apples and the sugar needed to make a tasty pie or sauce with them....well you come out pretty even on the carbs. In fact my way of making each, the rhubarb has a little less carbs....See More
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Design: Baking Stations Make Cooking More Fun
Get inspired to cook (and simplify holiday prep) with a dedicated space for baking
Full Story
HOLIDAYS15 Things to Do on a Holiday Weekend at Home
Stay warm and festive indoors and out with these activities to enjoy with family and friends or on your own
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHow to Welcome Summer Weekend Guests
Thoughtful touches and smart planning will help make your visitors feel at home
Full Story
MOST POPULAR10 Steps to a Happier Weekend
Savor your precious days off while still checking off to-do’s by following this simple plan
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEEasy Green: Weekend Detox for Your Home
A few small changes to your home over the weekend can help improve your health (and your cash flow) every day
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: A Relaxed Weekend at Home
To recharge your batteries, think about what you want to do, not what you have to do, during your precious respite
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: The Joy of Baking
Fill your house with a heavenly scent and your heart with cheer by making time to bake
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story

Annie Deighnaugh