SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashish_parikh9

Please advise!

amaacr
7 years ago

Yesterday, we had our kitchen remodeler come by our home and begin the process of installing the cabinets, which were RTA cabinets (assembled in his warehouse). Now, everything was going smoothly until they broke a water pipeline in the kitchen and water flooded my brand new engineered hardwood floors.

The hardwood floors have obvious water stains on them, and moisture was confirmed within the floor via a moisture meter. Here is the kicker, the remodeler doesn't want to cover or fix the hardwood floor damages because in our contract it states that any electrical or plumbing work is the homeowner's responsibility. This doesn't make any sense to me? I get that plumbing is my responsibility, but since the remodeler has damaged my property due to a fault of his own to which was viewed personally by my wife and admitted to me by the installer, shouldn't they pay for the damages/cleanup to the wood floor. I don't care if I have to pay for a plumber to fix the water pipe that was broken, I need them to compensate me for the damaged wood flooring that I'll now have to remove, and then replace.

The only thing they told me if I wanted to get my money compensated, was to 'go through it with the insurance companies', which I imagine would take time and be a pain in the @##!'

If I went that route, could I just go through the kitchen remodeler liability insurance, without having to file through my homeowners' insurance (I don't want to pay my deductible of $2500, meaning I would lose that money and in essence, 'pay' for their mistake).

What are my rights regarding this? Can the remodeler/cabinet company get away with this?

Please advise.

Comments (12)