SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andersons21

How to fix scratches on mahogany veneered table?

andersons21
7 years ago

A few months ago I bought a beautiful but scratched mahogany table with piecrust veneers on Craigslist. I asked about some of the scratches in another thread that puzzled me because I couldn't see all the scratches on the surface of the finish. There were also some brown blotches that were probably filled with burn-in stick or something. Worst of all, there were also a few gouges through the finish to bare wood. I tried a few easy approaches, like polishing with fine automotive abrasive, rubbing with stain markers, misting on a little more lacquer, but like I feared, none of those helped for the worst of the damage. So now I stripped off (most of) the toning lacquer finish with a couple applications of Citristrip.

Unfortunately, the scratches are more visible than ever, because for some reason they are much darker than the wood. I assume this must be particles of pigment from glaze caught in the scratches? Or residue of the brown toning lacquer I can't get off even with stripper? Scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush did lighten the scratches, but I can't get all the color out. I have also lightly sanded which removed some color with 100 grit. I must be careful, because I believe the veneer is extremely thin.

Before stripping:

What to do now? I am considering:

1) Steaming the scratches and dents. (Will steam lift veneer?)

2) Scrubbing with MC or ATM stripper? Will this remove excess color better than Citristrip?

3) Sanding off any remaining color?

Note that the original manufacturer's finish has intentional distressing, which on the top is a bunch of round-ish marks sprinkled somewhat evenly everywhere. These don't bother me, but they also have the dark color collected in them.

After fixing the scratches, I plan to stain with some WD Lockwood dye, washcoat with shellac, maybe fill the pores with Pore-o-pac (the original finish didn't completely fill pores even though the lacquer film was quite thick), and then probably finish with wiping varnish. Similar to what was advised in this thread.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (7)