What books have you enjoyed reading lately?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (17)
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
What have you been reading lately?
Comments (58)I'm currently reading "Game of Thrones", and really enjoying it. Terriks, I know exactly what you mean about the "porn" in the first episode--we got the 1st season on DVD (no HBO at our house...) and I was sort of appalled. However I liked the overall story so we stuck with it. Interestingly the later episodes did not have nearly as much--perhaps they felt like they needed to reel in a certain kind of viewer at the beginning. Eew! I also enjoy mysteries. Recently I enjoyed the "Lincoln Lawyer" series of books by Michael Connelly. There are five that follow that character. Some of my favorite "special" books I've read from over the past year: "City of Thieves" a great coming of age novel by David Benioff set during the siege of Leningrad. "The Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig. I LOVED this book, but I have to confess some of my book club buds were just okay with it, since it it not super plot-driven. If you like books about interesting people you just want to spend time with, and beautifully crafted language, this is great. Funny and sweet and wistful, narrated by a man looking back at a special year in his childhood in rural Montana. Especially good to read if you are a teacher. "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrandt. Pretty harrowing non-fiction, but really fascinating, too. "Any Bitter Thing" by Monica Wood. Our book club read this and every person loved it. I've also recommend it to several people, and they all loved it as well. It can be a little hard to find unless you order online, and none of us can figure why it didn't become a huge bestseller. It has some mystery elements to it, but it's more than that. Happy reading to you all, and thanks for the suggstions...See MoreHave you read any good books lately????
Comments (21)Loved the animal stories too. When in England, one of my planned stops was Harriot's vet hospital. It was wonderful, fascinating...everything was just as it was when he practiced there and even had the original TV setting where they filmed. The people in the little town loved visiting Americans and would repeat that we were the reason his books become popular. A book I recommend to many is Mrs. Chippy's Last Expedition (tis a "he" though). It is about the cat on Shackleton's Antarctica expedition, brought aboard by the ship's carpenter. Written with the cat's view, has wonderful pics of the expedition, ship, men and history story of this sad event. Although a teen level book, highly read by adults and found in the adult section. Be ready for a very sad ending, but truely a worthwhile read....See MoreWhat have you read (or watched) lately?
Comments (17)I started reading "The Spire," by Richard North Patterson, but gave up on it. It was my first book by him, and I found it boring. Now I'm reading "The Two-Minute Rule," by Robert Crais. I like Crais a lot, and this book has many fans. So I'm persevering, but I must say the book hasn't grabbed me yet. I don't watch many movies, but I was sick this week. In addition to lots of episodes of Gilmore Girls and The Closer on DVD, I watched the movie "Enchanted." I thought it was charming....See MoreJuly reading list........what are you enjoying ?
Comments (67)I'm reading A Belle of the Fifties, the memoir of a Southern woman in the 1850s. It was published in about 1905 and she was still an unreformed pro-slavery ardent Southerner. Her husband had been a senator from Alabama and she has a lot to say about social life and fashion in Washington DC in the years leading up to the Civil War. She seems very shallow. I have just arrived at secession in early 1861--she was all for it--so we'll see what happens next. Her name was Virginia Clay Clopton tho someone else put the book together from her diaries and notes and verbal input....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories


LIFELate Again? Eliminate the Things Holding You Up in the Morning
If you find yourself constantly running late for appointments, work and get-togethers, these tips could help
Full Story
HOLIDAYSSimple Pleasures: Enjoy a Restful Boxing Day
Catch up with friends on December 26 without catching the stress bug by taking the easy route to entertaining at home
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME10 Ways to Enjoy Nordic-Style Coziness at Home
Gather your blankets, books, favorite people and candles — you can’t have too many. The cozy season is here
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Host a Late-Summer Soiree
Have a beachy but elegant summer fling with serveware, glasses and accessories that nod to nautical
Full Story
FLOWERSBest Cutting-Garden Beauties for Late Summer
Pick blooms bursting with color or in classic white for bouquets to give away or keep all to yourself
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES12 Edibles Perfect to Plant in Late Summer
Keep those homegrown vegetables and greens coming well into fall
Full Story
ART10 Simple Ways to Display and Enjoy Printed Photos
Are your photos lost in limbo on your electronic devices? Bring them out into the open with these viewing-friendly ideas
Full Story
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)