SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Ground bees in my rose and flower bed

dublinbay z6 (KS)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Can any one here give me advice what to do? In a corner of one larger bed, I have a river birch tree clump--and about a week ago noticed that near the base of it--maybe a couple feet away at most--in a somewhat "wild" area (since I haven't caught up on my weeding) is a bee nest--continual stream of rather small bees flying in and out, with "doorwatcher" bees constantly on alert if you hover even a few minutes over the ground hole/entrance.

I don't know much about bees, but they are smaller bees, kinda yellowish-brownish. I think they might be honey bees. At least I associate bumble bees with larger, rounder size and dramatic black markings on them--I have some of those in another part of the garden with lots of sunshine and perennial purple salvia they love.

I don't know what to do about the "honeybees" (?) near the tree in the somewhat overgrown section and I cant' get in there to clean up that corner.

I did check with the "Bee and Bee-keepers Forum" -- but all their arguments and disagreements about what action to take just confused me further. Some said there is no way to get rid of honeybees which will just return next year even if you try to destroy them now. Only a bee-keeper knows how to lead them away to start a new nest somewhere else. But then others said most of the bee-keepers they contacted told them it wasn't worth their time trying to move them and the inquirer should just try to exterminate them. Or the bee-keeper charges hundreds of dollars to come and remove them, but the bees still returned in the spring to the old nest.

Others said if they are bumble bees, do nothing--they will die in the winter and not return in the spring. I wish mine were bumblebees, but I fear not.

Others talked about home-made remedies--flood 'em out, pile lots of dirt over them and they can't get out, poison them (everything from soap to Sevin). Others said if the bees are honeybees, they will return to the same nest in the spring.

Does anybody here have any practical experience and advice on how to get rid of ground bees (probably honeybees?) located in a semi-wild corner of a large bed--near the base of a tree?

Thank you.

Kate

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath