SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

That ole crock joyful, with minimal pot .. and his crock-pot adventure

joyfulguy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

On the thread dealing with choosing a crockpot, I referred to my making first use last week of a crockpot given to me a few years ago.

A week ago last Tuesday afternoon, I set the crockpot, with some water, to heat on "high", having been told that "low" didn't work.

Experience has shown that carrots take a while to cook to tenderness, so, lacking teeth, I cut a few full-sized ones into small pieces and added them. Cut some potatoes into similar small pieces, added them, an hour or so later, cut two chicken thighs into fairly small pieces, added them an hour or so later (or were they before the potatoes? can't remember; it was nine days ago), then a few onions, added an hour or so later, with some more water ... they were in heat for about 6 hours, and I figured should not have crockpot operating overnight, so turned it off.

On Wednesday, turned it on late afternoon, it ran 6 - 8 hours, potato pieces still hard, carrots surely were.

On Thursday, turned it on later afternoon, for about 6 hours more, potatoes still hard. Once or twice I'd removed some of the stew and heated it to tenderness on the stove: microwave experience at tendering up carrots, potatoes less than ideal.

More heat on Friday, not sure how long, similar result. It was somewhere in there that some of the Gardenweb cohort recommended that I should discard the lot: too large a risk, what with multiple heatings and coolings.

Same on Saturday, veggies getting more or less edible, with tongue pressure.

Not long heat on Sunday, the mixture was fairly edible, I had a meal, cleared out the pot and put the remainder in a bowl into the fridge ... did I finish it on Monday? I think so (or it may have been Tuesday).

Not a smidgeon of complaint from the digestive system throughout, and I was paying particular attention to whatever messages it might have been sending.

My body spoils me: hardly ever says, "Listen, you darned old fool: I can't DO that for you any more!".

Possibly as a young lad (I was 10 when World War II started in 1939 and the farmhands went to war) having to help maintain pigs, cows, horses and chickens, including clearing the manure from their stalls and pens, and getting some on one's hands fairly frequently and occasionally on one's face may have had a bearing on the situation.

ole joyfuelled ... with a bit o' help from long-term and intermittently heated stew

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor