SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

"Property Virgins" advice: Live with it a year first

I used to watch Property Virgins religiously when it was on, and when we bought our house, I remembered the host's advice, "Before you change something, live with it a year to see if you really want to change it." Of course these days, people (on the shows, at least) destroy perfectly functioning bathrooms, just if the color of the tile is slightly off, or if the tile is square instead of rectangular without ever trying to live with square tiles.

Our house came with a fire pit

that I hated, and so I decided to live with a year - during which time we never used it once. So after having it a year, we replaced it with this
and here's how it looks more recently, with my lunch:
I sort of wish I had not wasted that one year keeping the fire pit, but I did not realize how easy it was going to be to dismantle it. If it had never been there, I would have built the pergola sooner.

How do you feel about changing a house that you have just bought? Do you feel any desire or need whatsoever to respect what already exists?

I recently learned that one of my boss's clients (Richard Rotenberg of Minnesota) bought a Richard Neutra house in Rancho Mirage in 2002, hinting that he was going to respect the house's integrity and just renovate it, but within a month, he tore it down, causing outrage in the architectural community. My boss had nothing to do with this destruction and was appalled herself but still worked with the client. More recently, one of our clients, Jennifer Post, was hired to redecorate a Louis Kahn house, whose owners had grown up there with their parents and simply wanted a new interior look, but the architectural community was up in arms saying that nothing in the house should be touched, as if Louis Kahn were a god (He is not, in my opinion). Jennifer Post bought a very large coffee table from us for this project.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor