SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimmyt99

Seeded Zenith Zoysia's first year?

kimmyt99
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum and would like any input on how to manage my Zenith Zoysia issue. We live on the border of zone 7A and 7B.

Last May we hired a 'professional' to seed our one acre yard with Zenith Zoysia. Our yard has many large hardwoods, and he felt this was the best shade tolerant grass for us.

He started by using round-up to kill my pre-existing grass and weeds, about a month prior to seeding. He treated the soil with lime, fertilized with (200 pounds)17-17-17 when he seeded. and re-fertilized (200 pounds of 17-17-17) one one later. He also seeded the lawn with carpet grass mixed in with the zenith zoysia. He hydro-seeded (green mulch like material that was sprayed on the lawn) the lawn to set the seed. We were told to water regularly until the end of October, then use pre-emerge in October.

Now we are getting ready to treat the lawn and are told (by 3 different lawn professionals) that the Zenith Zoysia is barely existent (maybe 20%) and the weeds are out of control. We have many bare spots, where nothing has grown. We were told that if we use pre-emergent or herbicides to kill the weeds, we will basically have a dirt lawn. We are trying to salvage our investment.

Is there something wrong with the application of the seed? Does anyone have any insight on what we should do next? Any advice or suggestions are welcomed.

Comments (2)