SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

How to repaint this old trunk?

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I bought this trunk a number of years ago to store my knitting supplies (it's great for holding lots of yarn!):

I don't care for the 1970-ish tole painting, nor the avocado green color. This past weekend I was in Santa Fe and happened to see a painted trunk in a shop window that I really liked. I took a quick pic through the shop window -- unfortunately with the glare all you can see here is a portion of the piece, but hopefully this will give you an idea of what it looked like:

I'd like to do something similar to my trunk to give it a look that will go better with my Native American décor and art. I'm wondering how this can be best accomplished. Obviously, I need to repaint the entire trunk first - probably black, as in my inspiration piece. What kind of paint should I use, having no idea what it's currently painted with?

And what about the design? Should I look for ready-made stencils that will work? I've briefly perused offerings online and there are quite a few out there with a tribal look that would work -- something along these lines:

Having recently purchased a couple of paintings by a Navajo artist in which he used stencils and spray paint along with acrylics, the inspiration trunk looks to me like it may have had the design spray-painted on as well.

I welcome suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks!

Comments (12)