SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpbusha

Grout Painting/Sealing - re-painting over old paint

Breeze
5 years ago

Had my grout painted/sealed over 15 years ago and have been happy with it. Over the years it has peeled, and I have touched it up with grout paint from Home Depot. I have probably “touched up” almost the entire floor at least once over.

it’s time to have it redone by a professional. It’s peeling, plus the Home Depot color wasn’t a perfect match and looks yellowy.

My question - should the old paint be totally removed or can it be painted over?

I looked into the process to redo and found all these horror stories written by professionals about redoing floors that were touched up and repainted by us dumb happy homeowners and how hard it was to redo them. They talked about the noxious fumes from the stripping solutions and the time involved, etc.

I was expecting the worst, so was totally shocked when I got a price to redo the floor that was less than half what I originally paid 15 years ago! He plans to just paint over the Old paint. I asked him about the peeling and if the old stuff would peel under the new stuff and lift it. He said it would be fine, besides, they guarantee the work for as long as we own the home and will come back if there is any problem.

I have contacted four grout companies. I even contacted the company who originally did the floor and they apparently now only sell their product and didn’t return my calls or emails. Only one company called me back and he is a franchise of a bigger company that gets pretty good reviews. But i’m A little worried about just having it painted over, and am willing to pay more money to have it done right, if stripping it is the right thing to do.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Comments (5)